AIRFIX Meteor F.8 1/72nd

Started by Radish, June 27, 2008, 09:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on June 30, 2008, 05:44:33 AM
With Scott or Virgil as the pilot???  ;D

Yep - you could have it do a VATO, fly halfway around the world, hover on the thrust of a tiny engine nozzle placed directly under the fuel tanks, and then land on 12-foot long u/c legs mounted at the wingtips.....

........well, if you scalorama'd it to to about 1/350th....... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Martin H

Joe told me that the wind tunnel boys at Farnbrough borrowed the TB 2 model on a quiet day and played with it...turned out it did work.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mossie

I remember hearing that the Thunderbirds vehicles were pretty much designed on engineering thinking at the time & some of it has even materialised.

T1, Hypersonic rocket aircraft were very much being thought about, as were tail sitting VTOL machines.  It's VG wing came about.
T2, Lifting body cargo designs were looked at, finally coming to fruition (prototype at least) with hybrid airships.  VTOL transports never got there, but again, were pretty much in the minds of designers.
T3, single stage to orbit space craft is pretty much still a Holy Grail.
T4, Has actually materialised Mini-subs (if not toting underwater missiles!) have been around for a while now.
T5, Several space stations have been in orbit.  Global listening stations able to pick up any communication worldwide, look at Menworth Hill.

That was part of it's appeal, to me at least, that it always felt like these fantastic machines where just around the corner.  As an eight year old, I fully believed that all the crap that ended up on Tomorrows World would be waiting for me by the time I was twenty one!

Back on thread, Meteor F.8.  Very nice at a fair bit less than the Xtrakit version, I'd like to do a Gloster Reaper at some stage.  I'd still like to see a new tool early Meteor, about time we had a new one of such an important type.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on June 30, 2008, 03:02:06 PM
I remember hearing that the Thunderbirds vehicles were pretty much designed on engineering thinking at the time & some of it has even materialised.

Having read Tony Bulter' BSP's and Derek Wood' Project Cancelled I was surprised at how many projects that were concidered looked a bit like TB's and some other vehicles that used to appear on that show,

Quote from: Mossie on June 30, 2008, 03:02:06 PM
Back on thread, Meteor F.8.  Very nice at a fair bit less than the Xtrakit version, I'd like to do a Gloster Reaper at some stage.  I'd still like to see a new tool early Meteor, about time we had a new one of such an important type.

How about these Simon:  http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?CATEGORY=2&DIVISION=&MANUFACTURER=&CODE=&TYPE=&SCALE=1%3A72&KEYWORD=Meteor&NUMPERPAGE=25&order%5B%5D=arrived+desc&order%5B%5D=code+asc

Mind you I've had a couple of Aeroclub' 1/72 Meteors for a while, the Mk.8 and T.7.  Didn't someone mention here that John Adams (head honcho at Aeroclub) was not at all amused to find the MPM kit was almost an exact replica of his kits.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Ah, sorry Robert, should have made that clearer, I meant the very early variants, Mk.I & III!  It's good to see a Mk.4 though & a T.7 is good, as I've always wanted to do one of the Martin Baker T.7 and a half machines.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

You all realise that I was referring to the USAF Demonstration Team don't you  :rolleyes:

Ian
Shakes head sadly and walks away
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Radish

Hannants have the Xtrakit F.8 on BOGOF
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

kitnut617

If you want a F.8 I would go onto Hannants' website now, seems someone there has woke up to the fact they are selling the Airfix rebox of the Xtrakit at half the price and Hannants is now selling theirs for a two-for-one sale to move their stock.  I've just ordered two Airfix kits and the two-for-one Xtrakit kits from Hannants.  FYI the Airfix kits have different decals to the Xtrakit and also MPM are scheduled to issued their F.8. Even if you don't want to buy one (or two) have a read of what has been written under each of the Airfix and Xtrakit listing on the Hannants website, very revealing.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on July 01, 2008, 12:50:30 PM
You all realise that I was referring to the USAF Demonstration Team don't you  :rolleyes:

Ian

Of course we did, but being thick is fun sometimes....... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 01, 2008, 07:40:59 PM
If you want a F.8 I would go onto Hannants' website now, seems someone there has woke up to the fact they are selling the Airfix rebox of the Xtrakit at half the price and Hannants is now selling theirs for a two-for-one sale to move their stock.  I've just ordered two Airfix kits and the two-for-one Xtrakit kits from Hannants.  FYI the Airfix kits have different decals to the Xtrakit and also MPM are scheduled to issued their F.8. Even if you don't want to buy one (or two) have a read of what has been written under each of the Airfix and Xtrakit listing on the Hannants website, very revealing.

Indeed:

"They will not be doing this with any of our other Xtrakits. "

Sounds like somebody's not a happy bunny........

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

One of the most important rules of life - read the smallprint in the contract.

The shame will be if this put Hannant's off taking the risk with the Xtrakit range - hope not
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on July 01, 2008, 12:50:30 PM

Ian

hmm, I-H-G, i have seen a HM coastguard twin prop fly into coventry airport this morning. so at least someone
is on the case!  ;D  :thumbsup: :cheers:
Keeper of George the Cat.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Afternoon Trev
Yep that will be one of our two 'pollution spotters' operated by Air Atlantique on our behalf. Spoke to them a lot when the Riverdance went aground.

Anyhoos - about this Meatbox...... West German anybody ? tulip nose, splinter pattern camo  :thumbsup:...... Maybe a 'Gift' to the Soviets in that early Olive Green/Light Blue scheme and large yellow Bort numbers  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Of all folks, here, Duncan I would've put money on you doing a SAAF one in that beautiful Olive Drab/Yellow Sand (F-86F) shceme, toting 4 x Matra pods - sort of a suped-up border patrol. Looking forward to seeing what you come-up with.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)