A Harrier in Fairyland...

Started by grayman, June 27, 2008, 07:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayman

Yes, Fairyland is a real place...more of which later.

Honestly, I think modern warplanes have lost grace over the years. Modern shapes are almost brutally functional, particularly since the late 1960's (with, perhaps the exception of the Su-27 series with their almost bird-like curves). Which brings me to the Harrier, which to me evokes the idea of the British sportscars of the '60s. Small, fingertip control, simple (in a sense), idiosyncratic. The Harrier, being the last of the Hawker line, carries on some of the graceful lines that started three-four decades earlier. Unfortunately it comes to a halt with the GR3 and the barrel nose. Sorry, but succeeding Harriers (even, dare I say the Sea Harrier) lost that X-Factor...

So I got to thinking...I wanted to build a 72nd-scale Harrier. I wanted Australian colours on it. So to the story...

The Australian Army experience in Vietnam reinforced a future around joint, but relatively small-scale deployments. Mid-rank commanders came away from the conflict with increased respect for the capabilities and sheer resources of the US military, in particular the possibilities of modern close-air support. Those achieving senior ranks in the early-mid 1980's came to recognise that the RAAF was increasingly stretched by strategic defence and offence roles. Their fear was direct tactical support of field formations would come a poor third place. A bitter battle broke out between the Army Chiefs (who wanted a rapid response, integrated tactical air support capability) and the RAAF leadership (who took the view that anything with wings was their domain).

A compromise of sort was reached (though the RAAF did not think so) when the Army was permitted to establish a trials unit. The unit, consisting of six Harrier GR.3s (mod 4s - with Sidewinder integration) and supporting elements, was established in 1984. The RAF, keen to get another Harrier operator into the market place, provided the aircraft, support equipment and training.

Exercises and trials continued until 1989. The fall of the Berlin Wall, the introduction of the F/A-18 Hornets, transfer of assets from the RAAF to the Army and finally a change in government thinking brought an end to the trials. The aircraft were returned to the RAF, surprisingly in good shape. Army leadership saw the Harriers go with mixed feelings: on one hand they missed the integrated tactical strike and recon capability, but on the other hand they were happy to see the costs and manpower freed up to be used elsewhere.

Some images...

Depicted is A71-204 departing from the Fairyland West school oval on a tactical reconaissance mission in July, 1985. Part of Exercise Inebriated Wombat, '204 conducted a tactical recce over Black Snake Road in support to 4RAR. Afterwards, '204 returned to the west and flew north-to-south over the Darling Downs (west of Toowoomba) and into New South Wales to land at RAAF Wagga Wagga. The original mission called for the egress to evade four Mirage IIIs out of Amberley. Unfortunately the Red Team (Mirages Poker 16 and Poker 17) were able to close and simulate successful R530 shots just north of Tenterfield.

The kit & build. The kit is Airfix, from I'm not sure when. All detail is raised (including those for the control surfaces). Damage to raised lines lead me to doing a bit of scribing. Sorry, but I can't recommend this kit - some of the moldings (especially stores, intakes and nozzles) are basic and indistict. Apparently Pavla makes some replacement bits. Though I've not seen it, I think the Hasegawa kit may be better.

The colour scheme is based on the Kiowa/Pilatus Porter fleet in the late '80s/early '90s (see ADF Serials for some photos). The paint is Tamiya Acrylic, mixed by (colour-blind) eye to match the Army Aviation colours. Decals from the ink-jet printer (for some reason the 'roos on the wings melted).

Yes, Fairyland is a place. I used to live there (in the very late '70s). You'll find it at S26 27'/E150 53.5'. Black Snake Road is also a place (worked up that way in the mid-90s), and can be found around S26 16'/E152 17.5'

As always, comments and criticisms very welcome   ;D
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open -- General Sir Michael Dewar.

John Howling Mouse

This is amazing....just amazing!  Wow, how to push the envelope with a fantastic paint job.   :bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Jeffry Fontaine

Did you ever run into this bloke while you were living in Fairyland?

By the way, nice camouflage on your Harrier.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Excalibur

Awesome build, cool camo scheme. I'm planning on using a similar one on my captured Hind for my RAAF special forces sqn. idea. seems we have similar ideas.

grayman

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 27, 2008, 09:34:45 PM
Did you ever run into this bloke while you were living in Fairyland?

Erm...no...hold on...only on the Wonderful World of Disney and perhaps Are you being served?  :blink:
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open -- General Sir Michael Dewar.

Brian da Basher

That paint work is just outstanding, Grayman!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

tanktastic43

Ed S

Love the camo pattern.   Nice model.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Taiidantomcat

That really is amazing!!! :wub: awesome right down to the stand and nose up attitude!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Patrick H

Wow, great paintjob on the Harrier, love the stand also. Always nice to see a kit build in flight.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

sotoolslinger

Dammit, now I have to go pull all my posts due to extreme embarrasment over crappy paintjobs :banghead: :banghead:
One of the best ever :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Jeffry Fontaine

what was the source for your drop tanks?  They look a bit larger than the usual tanks seen on the Harrier.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Hman

"Honestly, I think modern warplanes have lost grace over the years... The Harrier, being the last of the Hawker line, carries on some of the graceful lines that started three-four decades earlier. Unfortunately it comes to a halt with the GR3 and the barrel nose. Sorry, but succeeding Harriers (even, dare I say the Sea Harrier) lost that X-Factor..."

I totaly agree - and your Whiff is stunning!

"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

GTX

Stunning work!!! :thumbsup:

I wonder whether one should do an ARDU GR.3 in Fanta Can to accompany it?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!