A Harrier in Fairyland...

Started by grayman, June 27, 2008, 07:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

noxioux

That paint job is first notch!  Beautiful!!!

I also agree, the Harrier, and the A-10, have an old-school mystique that the new machines totally lack.

Scooterman

Nice one Greyman!

Any color on a 'arrier is alright in my book!  :thumbsup:

Bryan H.

Verrry nice!  The Australian Army camo looks great - not a whif, a shoulda been! 

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

grayman

Hi all, thanks for the very kind comments.

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 28, 2008, 01:21:20 PM
what was the source for your drop tanks?  They look a bit larger than the usual tanks seen on the Harrier.

Jerry, the tanks are OOB. I think they are the 400-gallon ferry tanks. A more realistic alternative would be the smaller 190-gallon tanks; these were not included in the kit. Note to self: build up the spares bin...

GTX, you should not have said that about an ARDU GR.3  :banghead: I'm trying, with limited success to put my stash on a diet. Problem is, with suggestions like this, and those awfully provocative hobby shops in both the real and virtual worlds, the stash continues to demand that it be fed....

Outside the local hobby shop...
Stash to Grayman: Go on...you know you want to. You know you really want to...
Grayman to Stash: No, you've had enough already. You've already taken over the office, the ironing room, the cupboards! Are you not ever satisfied???
Stash to Grayman Come on, just one...pleeease...just a little one - something 1/144...just one...
Fade to Black....You know what comes next...

Sotoolslinger...don't you dare :bow:
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open -- General Sir Michael Dewar.

Dork the kit slayer

Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"Inebriated Wombat" ..... luvvit, nice model too !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Sisko

Wow that is one nice model. :thumbsup:

I am also diggin the display :ph34r:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

GTX

QuoteGTX, you should not have said that about an ARDU GR.3  Bang head I'm trying, with limited success to put my stash on a diet. Problem is, with suggestions like this, and those awfully provocative hobby shops in both the real and virtual worlds, the stash continues to demand that it be fed....

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Aussie747

Quote from: grayman on June 28, 2008, 10:01:30 PM

GTX, you should not have said that about an ARDU GR.3  :banghead: I'm trying, with limited success to put my stash on a diet. Problem is, with suggestions like this, and those awfully provocative hobby shops in both the real and virtual worlds, the stash continues to demand that it be fed....

Gregs comments have also got me thinking! Damn! I have an ESCI GR3 kit sitting there waiting for a scheme...  I won't steal your thunder if you are going to attempt it.  <_<

I would also like to add  my congrats for a great paint job and very entertaining back story.  :cheers:

Whats next?
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

comrade harps

The story and the scheme are spot on.

Fairyland? Have you ever heard of Bo Peep? Latitude 37 32 06 S Longitude 143 40 38 E, in Victoria near Ballarat. A good Whif story name for future reference.
Whatever.

grayman

Quote from: Aussie747 on July 01, 2008, 08:59:00 PM
Gregs comments have also got me thinking! Damn! I have an ESCI GR3 kit sitting there waiting for a scheme...  I won't steal your thunder if you are going to attempt it.  <_<

I would also like to add  my congrats for a great paint job and very entertaining back story.  :cheers:

Whats next?

Aussie, by all means go for it, as I have no plans for another Harrier -- I'll be really keen to see the outcome.

I was pondering GTX's ARDU Harrier suggestion on the way to work earlier this week, and I got wondering what a 1/48 GR.1 would look like...a little bit bent and worn, in a slightly tatty RAF scheme, overlaid with brand new RAAF markings and ARDU scheme. Something along the lines of a pre-trials trials aircraft.

On the bench at the moment is a Dragon Do-335. My mind is wandering towards a high-altitude scheme (sort of like the Russian P-38 I did ages ago). Armament would be mid-fuselage mounted rockets (the system name escapes me, but they were triggered by a light sensor when passing under bombers -- I think tested by Fw-190s).

Deeper in the stash is the Gepard hull which will be modded and painted yellow...just got to nut out how to build a crane boom... Even deeper is the stash is a half-built SRN.4 hovercraft, which I'm thinking should be a tourist ferry in use on the Barrier Reef.

Comrade Harps...am firing up Google Earth now...
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open -- General Sir Michael Dewar.

ysi_maniac

I love this concept (Army's fixed wings aircraft), the camo  :wub: :wub: everything :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

McGreig

Wonderful model - both the paint scheme and the standard of finish on that old Airfix Harrier  :thumbsup: :cheers:

GTX

QuoteOn the bench at the moment is a Dragon Do-335. My mind is wandering towards a high-altitude scheme (sort of like the Russian P-38 I did ages ago). Armament would be mid-fuselage mounted rockets (the system name escapes me, but they were triggered by a light sensor when passing under bombers -- I think tested by Fw-190s).

I believe the weapon you are referring to was the Reinhmetall Sonder Gerät SG116 'Zellendusche' ( cell shower):

There was also the similar SG 500 Jägerfaust for the Me-163 (see www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/weapons01.htm)

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!