Main Menu

Plan 1919

Started by NARSES2, June 30, 2008, 07:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

These two builds came about after numerous e-mails from our own dear Radish so could in some respects be seen as a "Radish Tribute Build"  ;D

After the November 1918 "Eastern Coup" which kept both a reluctant Kaiser and Germany in the war the allies looked towards acheiving final victory in 1919. However after the continued nibbling away at the German lines from November 1918 to February 1919 the Germans collapsed with the first major allied offensive of the new year in March. As "Imperial" Forces drove through the Gembloux Gap and onto Liege and the German border two new types of aircraft circled the armies below.

In 1918 with the advent of new materials and techincs the Royal Aircraft Factory at Farnborough had been experimenting with different layouts of aircraft in order to achieve increased speed/manouverability/survivabilty. One of the new types to come from this was the PE.1 - Parasol Experimental 1

Designed without prior knowledge of the Fokker DVIII this aircraft was starting to enter service in December 1918 and by the March offensive 3 squadrons were operating them including 19 squadron newly returned from Palestine.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

It's the venerable Revell kit with some added bits & pices including the extra struts required for the Parasol wing. If I did another I would reduce the length of the cabanes
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Markings are from the kit and paines are a mixture of Tamiya and Humbrol acrylics - an enjoyable build

NARSES2

Second of the new RAF types was the IS1 - Infantry Support 1. A specifically designed infantry support type. Heavily armoured, with a single Vickers 303, but twice the normal ammo complement and the ability to carry the new universal stores rack. 4 squadrons operated above the advance to Liege and greatly added the tanks and infantry to penetrate the German front swiftly and reasonably securely.

The universal stores rack could each carry 4 25lb Cooper bombs as here or a Flechette dispeser. Basically a box loaded with sharpened nails which caused chaos with the ranks of the German horse drawn transport cols.

NARSES2

Again the Revell kit with various mods, the bombs are from a Lysander and the racks are cut down Typhoon rails

NARSES2

Markings are from various sources and the camo scheme is the official "Orfordness Scheme" as applied to some Sopwith Salamanders which were designed for this role. One of the features of this sceme was that the national markings, where present were toned down somewhat.

I don't normally do this type of build but I enjoyed these

ysi_maniac

Nice concepts, both :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

John Howling Mouse

Could we please have a top view of your number "2" aircraft?  I do believe that camo on the wing is quite probably fantastic!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

frank2056

I love both, but #2 really looks like it means business! I vote for an overhead view as well.

Frank

Chap

Lovely work NARSES2! Both look fantastic, I too will echo the need for more pictures.

~Steve

SPINNERS

Chapeau!

Something different and both nicely executed. Very enjoyable to see these two!

Joe C-P

Very nice! Different from the usual fare around here, I like to see sticks-and-strings.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Brian da Basher

Those are some magnificent Plan 1919 aircraft, Narses! I especially like the IS-1 monoplane and the very cool Trench Camo! These two imaginative projects are a perfect example of your impressive talent!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

NARSES2

Here's the top view lads. As I said it's my take using stock colours of the official "Orfordness" scheme as applied to some Salamanders. For full details of the Orfordness Camoflage Trials see Model Aircraft Monthly January 2007.

Thanks for the comments on this and the B&V - it's this type of thing and the encouragement you get at shows when the SIG gets togther that make me stive to try and improve the quality of my builds - alas I think age is getting the better of me  :rolleyes: