BAe Jetstream 3100

Started by AeroplaneDriver, June 30, 2008, 09:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

I've been sitting fondling the Airfix Jetstream sent to me by Aircav, and while I'm as dedicated a whiffer as you will find, now that I have a Jetstream I'm leaning very strongly towards a RW build of the first J31 I ever flew.  I have a set of US Air Express decals that includes registration numbers for the whole fleet we had at CCAir when I started there in 96, including N157PC, the first one I flew.

Looking at the kit the basic shape is good.  To be an accurate J31 it needs the nacelles changed, made a bit taller and some changes to the front.  It also needs 4-bladed props, a baggage pod and a few other details, but I've got lots of pics and several tech and training manuals, so it shouldnt be too tough.  I may try casting the nacelles and pod in resin if I get adventurous.  May even try superdetailing the interior too!

Anyway, it may get started this week or it may be a year, but I wanted to introduce this to the bench.  My favorite aircraft!  :wub:

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

B777LR

:wub: :wub: Dirty white airplane! :wub: :wub:

Looking forwards to this! Oh, and do it RW! :ph34r:

AeroplaneDriver

Well I've done a bit more ogling and fondling of this kit and come to a few conclusions:

1.  It's an old Airfix mold which means soft detail.  But the overall shape is excellent, very much a Jetstream.

2.  Since I have two pilot training manuals and a 1,000 page maintenance manual with detailed exploded views of every component I think this will be my first attempt at serious, honest, accurate, superdetailing.

3.  This will be a RW build of my first Jetstream, mounted on a nicely varnished base along with my first set of USAir Express wings.

4.  Steve, you made my modelling day with this kit.  Cheers mate!!   :cheers:

Brian da Basher

I'm going to really enjoy watching you build this, Nick, and not just because it'll wear "home team" colors. The Jetstream is a beatufiul airplane and it will be a treat to watch your talent shine!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

Looking forward to this Nick, I'm sure it'll look fantastic, especially since the subject has good memories for you.  Can't wait!

By the way, if you're looking for more Jetstreams, Kingkit has some listed in 1/72, including the Airfix, Rugrat Resins (including a 31M, supposed to be a bit rough but might save you some work) & Welsh Models vacform kits.  None of them are cheap & postage will stump you a bit, but they're there if you need them.

http://www.kingkit.co.uk/kingkit/search1.php
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Brian (BAC) on the Airfix Tribute Forum built a civil Jetsteam and modified it much as you plan AD. I'm sure I read a thread over there on how he did it but can't find it at the moment but here's a photo of his finished product.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/about4257.html&highlight=jetstream
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on July 02, 2008, 07:02:05 AM

By the way, if you're looking for more Jetstreams, Kingkit has some listed in 1/72, including the Airfix, Rugrat Resins (including a 31M, supposed to be a bit rough but might save you some work) & Welsh Models vacform kits.  None of them are cheap & postage will stump you a bit, but they're there if you need them.

I've one of the Rugrat T.3 Jetstreams and it's not bad Simon, also got a couple of conversions to make a T.1 and T.2 (M&E I think) and also have a couple of Aeroclub Astazou engine fronts and props. All in 1/72

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 02, 2008, 11:14:33 AM
Brian (BAC) on the Airfix Tribute Forum built a civil Jetsteam and modified it much as you plan AD. I'm sure I read a thread over there on how he did it but can't find it at the moment but here's a photo of his finished product.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/about4257.html&highlight=jetstream

Nice looking model!  I flew with a lot of guys who started on Jetstreams with Atlantis Airlines, which operated as PA Express in the early 80s.  It has the proper 4-blade Dowty props, but it looks like it's still the kit nacelles, which dont stand tall enough and have a different lower front that the 31/32 ended up with.  The kit's nacelles are based on the TPE331 installation that would have been on the C-10/3M.  When BAe dusted off the Garrett-powered Jetstream idea in '79 they used a lot of the previous development work from the C-10, but there were also a lot of changes, including some pretty distinct changes to the nacelle. 

kitnut617

IIRC, I think Brian said he just turned the kit engines upside down and did a bit of putty filling and sanding to get his to look like it does.  I think he said that the nacelles should have been a bit higher but what he did was close enough for what he wanted.

Just before the Airfix collapse a couple of years ago they had the Jetstream as a Club Members Special and I got a couple of them, I had got another a short time before too through a second hand webstore, plus of course the Rugrat kit.  My plan is to make a T.1, T.2, T.3 and C-10