I'd like to enter with a Mig-21

Started by Damian2, July 01, 2008, 01:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damian2

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on July 19, 2008, 08:19:24 AM
Okay, "crits" (you asked for):
- Do you use a clear gloss finish for applying your decals to?  That would avoid the frosting/fogging you see on some of the decals (I know that Academy decals are often nearly impossible to work with but some of yours are Heller, I believe?).  It would also make it easier for you to re-position them while applying.  I ask because I went years without realizing what a difference a glosscoat makes for applying decals.
- Do you use Microscale's MicroSet and/or MicroSol decal solution?  This was another "whaddyaknow-it works" revelation for me.  Especially over irregular surfaces and panel lines, etc.

I've never had much sucess with gloss coats for some reason although I know I should do one :) Also I forgot to use my floor polish to prevent silvering so I hade to go over them again with polish, they were more silvered than this before :O MicroSet and MicroSol are hard to come by in SA and brining them in is just too damn expensive!!

Thanks for the crits guys each one goes into making the next model just a little better :)

D

ps. Barry if you want a MiG for your display wouldn't you like a SAAF one instead?  :rolleyes:
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Damian2

Hi All!!

She's done. The only thing left is to put her on a base which will have to wait for the weekend as payday is on Friday :)

The kit is the Academy 1/48 MiG-21MF. Quite a nice kit that required a minimal filling and sanding routine to get it ready for paint. The inspiration is this profile by Richard of Gekko Graphics fame:

My A/c however represents a E.C. 03-03 "Ardennes"  machine in 1987 operating in Djibouti.

The last one is in because I took all the other pics and then realised that the blade antenna behind the 'pit wasn't painted :P Now she is though!

As always crits and comments most welcome!

D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Ed S

Nice Mig Damian.  I like the way it turned out.  Good job of weathering it as well.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

nev

Stunning!  :wub:

The new bookies favourite.....
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Someday I'm gonna marry that model!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

AeroplaneDriver

That really is superb D!  (And I'm not just saying that because of my new love of Mig-21s.)

:wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Glenn Gilbertson

Great modelling - well done. I am not usually a great fan of heavy weathering, but it looks right on this one. :thumbsup: