I'd like to enter with a Mig-21

Started by Damian2, July 01, 2008, 01:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

AeroplaneDriver

Mesa tinkin dis is looking maxi-good!

(Jar-Jar is everyone's favorite, right??)
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Damian2

*UPDATE*

All the assembly and PSR is done, I've hit all the major seams like where the fuselages mate but I've promised myself I'm not going to get all JMN about it and try to fiddle with the minor ones like in the afterburner section or the little part in the intake. Life and let live and HAVE FUN! Now on to the pics!!

1. All the major parts are added. I know, I know those pitot tubes are going to be a mission but I wanted a good strong bond between the base and the mounting point.

2. JHM inspired door inserts, need to practice his methodology a little more but worked like a charm!

3. Over exposed head on :)

4. Last overview shot displaying the bits that may become my nemesi during the painting stage...

Now its waiting for the glue to cure. Thereafter its installing the HUD and masking and installing the canopy and windshield before taking it to the paintshop :)

D

ps. forgot to add that the gasbags and AS.30L are still in the PSR booth...

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

B777LR

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 09, 2008, 09:48:40 PM
(Jar-Jar is everyone's favorite, right??)

Most people think not, but most people are thus morons ;D Mesa thinking Jar-Jar is better than Jedi :party:

John Howling Mouse

Coming along very nicely.  Hope the door inserts works out for you (you did put the masking tape in first, right?).   -_-
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Damian2

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on July 10, 2008, 11:42:08 AM
Coming along very nicely.  Hope the door inserts works out for you (you did put the masking tape in first, right?).   -_-

Hehe I used old presstick aka blutac in the wheel wells :D

BlackOps

Lookin' good D2! I wish I had a pilot for mine, yours looks great.  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Damian2

Hi All!!

I got the last of the clean up and PSR done tonite so tomorrow's the big day! Yes its paint day! Now I haven't airbrushed a kit for the better part of the last 9 to 10 months so tomorrow will definitley be interesting to say the least...

Oh well just go to remember that I'm in this to have FUN!!! So here we go with the last of the nude pics!

1. MiG-21AL and the stores load L to R: AS.30L, gasbag with flight refuelling probe, chaff pod, standard gasbag, ECM pod (Barracuda?)

2. Last over view shot :)

Well kepp everything crossed for tomorrow!!

D

ps. comments and crits always welcomed!

Damian2

Hi All!

Spent a loooong day painting as I'm only working tonite :)

1. Sprayed the cockpit black...

2. The green bits green...

3. Steel bits steel...which i've had to hand re-paint as the MM metaliser lifted like a ho...

4. Got the grey underside down with lightened weathered spots

5. And the free handed the top two colours, please note Richard's profile is my inspiration and not a strict painting guide because

1. I paint in the lounge with the PC in the bedroom; and
2. uuumm I'll get back to you

Tomorrow is clear coating day and then Saturday is decaling day :)

As always comments and crits welcome but please go easy on my paintjob as this is the first airbrushing in ages :)

D

ysi_maniac

QuoteAs always comments and crits welcome but please go easy on my paintjob as this is the first airbrushing in ages

What? I have been making worse paintjobs for ages.

Beatiful :wub: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

SPINNERS

Good work! I'm looking forward to seeing it decalled up.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Damian2 on July 17, 2008, 07:18:56 AM
As always comments and crits welcome but please go easy on my paintjob as this is the first airbrushing in ages :)

Well, for a first airbrush job in ages, I suppose it might not look very good on your own shelf.  I'm sure you have certain standards to live up to.  So, ah, once you get it all finished, why don't you just send it to ME so I can endure having to look at it on my shelf instead?  I'd be willing to take one for the team, as they say.  Ya know, for your sake.

Seriously, this is a paintjob I would be proud to display!   :thumbsup:

Damian2

Hi All!!

Got my decalling done yesterday and moved on to complete the weathering of the airframe today. So between studying Nav Plotting and working on the kit I give you the following pics!

1. Decls done!! Phew only botch two on this one so its a damn record for me!! The chosen sqn markings are for E.C. 03-03 "Ardennes" in 1987

2. Close up of the boar's head tail art.

3. Another over view shot...

4. Top side weathering done...

5. Close up of the weathering done...

6. Bottom doen too :)

7. And a close up :)

Next will be the flat coat to seal it all in and weathering the stores. After that its trying to mount the sucker on a pole for display! :)

As always crits and comments most welcomed!

D

ps. IF you build this as a real world A/c do yourself a favour and get aftermarket decals as the Academy ones are CRAP I think you'd have to use white glue to get them to stay on the bloody thing. Thankgaod all I used were some minor stencils. As for the Heller decals, they we commendably thin but quite a few were out of register.

John Howling Mouse

Okay, "crits" (you asked for):
- Do you use a clear gloss finish for applying your decals to?  That would avoid the frosting/fogging you see on some of the decals (I know that Academy decals are often nearly impossible to work with but some of yours are Heller, I believe?).  It would also make it easier for you to re-position them while applying.  I ask because I went years without realizing what a difference a glosscoat makes for applying decals.
- Do you use Microscale's MicroSet and/or MicroSol decal solution?  This was another "whaddyaknow-it works" revelation for me.  Especially over irregular surfaces and panel lines, etc.

Comments:
Now I'm definitely going to send you my address so this fine kit will end up with a good home!  When you see a guy with the silver pencil crayons and blending stomps out, you know he's serious about realistic weathering-----this has that rugged working bird feel that I really admire.

BlackOps

Damian, the weathering looks great!  :wub:

Barry is spot on with the decal info, I always do a quick gloss coat where the decals go, and Micro-Sol works wonders for getting them to lay down into all those nooks and crannies. Once everything is in place a nice dull coat pulls it all together.

I'm really liking the look you've achieved  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.