Late Start Republic of Texas Battle Flyer No. 2

Started by sotoolslinger, July 04, 2008, 12:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

The new design Republic of Texas Battle Flyer No.2

The Texicans took their standard 9.3 x 62 mm  heavy machine gun round and necked it down to take a streamlined 7mm spitzer bullet which would get nearly 3000 feet per second

For the underwing guns they initially considered either .40 or .50 cal machine guns but to keep the weight down they took the .404 jeffreys case and necked it down to 9.3 mm this allowed them to get the same velocity as the 7 mm guns

Zeiss Optik developed a variable power, pilot adjustable scope sight which allowed hits at much greater ranges than were possible with standard weapons

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Eddie M.

I am completely blown away by your work on this one! BRAVO ZULU!!
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Here's one of my other little modeling buddies

Nice bit o tail there ;D
Now please go and read this as an introduction to the back story
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20522.0.html
August 1919 the British people were in the streets celebrating . The war was almost over. The newspapers had come out with special editions declaring that the Germans were about to sign the armistice. The drone of aircraft engines overhead was assumed to be English fighters, but this was a low deep drone from high up .Then the bombs began to fall. The dreaded Zeppelin-Stakken were overhead. Panic ensued.the military was livid and the excellent Sopwith triplanes were immediatly scrambled with instructions to let none of the treacherous German attackers escape.As they approached the invading, giant bombers the Tripe pilots were confident and angry.Then before they could let loose hails of .303 and .50 cal ammo on the huge targets they began to take hits...... from above!

Anger quickly became panic but it was too late

Surprise was complete as the high altitude fighters dove down upon the hapless triplanes at ridiculous speeds and devastated the defenders

The surviving British pilots discovered that these unknown attackers could not quite out manuever them but could easily out run and outclimb them

The few surviving Sopwith pilots attempted to regroup and fight it out but the bombers were done with their treacherous task and headed back across the channel and the vicious new fighters simply climbed away

On the ground the military was wondering why there weren't crashing German bombers falling from the sky, then three of the original 24 defenders limped back into the airfield. The first british pilot confronted by a very angry commanding officer uttered 3 words "It was Texans"
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

You gotta watch out for them Texans y'know...
;)
I thoroughly enjoyed watching you put this masterpiece together and reading the backstory was icing on the cake, Toolslinger!

There must be something in Texas that causes such outstanding whiffery.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Thanks B  ;D I just wish I could do the kind of stuff you do ,as quick as you do it. Oh and sorry about shooting down your Tripes. ;D ;D ;D :rolleyes:
I amuse me.

Weaver

Excellent piece of work Toolslinger!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Again, (and rest assured, I mean this as a compliment) it puts me in mind of something from a comic book by an air-savvy artist like Gimenez.

Is the radio setup sponsored by Marconi, or the London wire company?  :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Weaver I take that as a great compliment. I was a fan of Heavy Metal from an early age. While not a comic collector (cause I spend too much on models)I like the rather eclectic stuff. As to the antenna I figured the radio would be primitive and all my closeup reference material shows lots of wires on early planes( and I had a bunch of tiny holes left over I needed to fill) ;D ;D ;D ;D
I amuse me.

Weaver

With that much wire around, it's a wonder they didn't stretch some doped fabric over it for a bit more lift..... ;D

Never got Heavy Metal magazine as such, but I have a fair few books by folk who've worked for them.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

John Howling Mouse

Can just imagine your neighbors watching you shoot this model outside your place.  "It's that crazy tool fella from next door, ma."  "What's he doin' now?"
"He's got some sort of toy airplane hanging from a string or somethin----hey, he's takin' pictures of it!"  "What the....?"

If they only knew how there's an entire online audience in awe and applauding your every effort.

Clapping from Alberta!    :thumbsup: :bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Actually I get better responses from my neighbors than from the folks at the LHS. People that don't know models and don't know aircraft think my stuff is cool and creative while hobby shop employees just think I'm some weirdo that dont know how to build a model proper ;D
I amuse me.

BlackOps

Well as a fellow fan of Heavy Metal magazine, I'd like to ask , What would Taarna do?

I say stick with the Improper building style that you've developed into an art form!  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Chap

You've outdone yourself on this one...I love it! :wub:

~Steve

sotoolslinger

Thanks all ya'll I am actually working on the RoT BF-1 today. I got somewhat out o sequence with the 1 week GB. I should have pics and backstory up in a little while ;D
I amuse me.

jcf

Completely insane and believably Texan.  ;D

Bravo.

Jon