Late Start Republic of Texas Battle Flyer No. 2

Started by sotoolslinger, July 04, 2008, 12:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

I'm getting much better at this printing my own decals thing

These stripes will have a Texas roundel as well

But I learned the hard way if your going to do multiple layers you have to Glosscote between decals
I will also be duplicating the stripes vertically on the tailplanes but they will have a Texas flag in the middle ;D

Thanks BdaB and thanks for sending the roundel and flag images.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

I'm really glad I was able to help, Toolslinger and you got some excellent results!

Don't mess with Texas!

Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

You're going to get arrested for this; you know that, don't you?   :thumbsup:   :blink:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Well if the black Suburbans are going to show up I might as well get as many pics up as possible so there will be evidence

;D ;D ;D
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

Placing those Republic of Texas markings over the RAF roundels is truly inspired Toolslinger! They look great against those RAF squadron colors! If you don't want the RAF roundels to show from beneath, you can paint them out with white before applying the Texas markings over them.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Dammit..... I don't know why these suck so bad... I'm not sure whether to try to print these off again or paint them by hand... I didn't save them when I resized :banghead: :banghead: FFFF

These are ok though... still mad about the flags :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

cthulhu77

Are you using a white carrier film? If not, you do need to white out or white paint the area that they are going...unless you are looking for stealth markings!

'sides, I kind of like the rough look, it seems to me that the plane wouldn't be pristine.

sotoolslinger

Yes Great Old One I am using a white decal paper , it just sucks :banghead: Testors :banghead: The good stuff at LHS is for laser printers only and I have an inkjet.
I amuse me.

cthulhu77

Hmmm, I don't know, but maybe some heavy weathering  and picking apart of the decals could lend that "rode hard and left wet" sort of look ?

sotoolslinger

Actually ole tentacle puss ,I am just going to hand paint the decals ;D
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Well I tried reapplying the decals ,still have to paint touchups

Painted and installed guns

Also installed scope sight

Super turbo charger exhaust collectors

I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

After you've let the two coats of Testors spray decal bonder dry overnight, try using Microscale's decal film on the Testors decal paper (at least two heavy coats, let this dry overnight, too).  With homeprinted Testors decals, I often have to apply two or three layers of the same graphic to ensure opacity of the markings, especially over dynamic colors underneath as you have.  Like Greg noted, painting some gloss white under your markings would help blank out the stripes and other stuff underneath.  I also like the roughed up look of some of your decals, though.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Are you speaking of running the paper through the printer several times or just applying several decals on top of each other? Also where might I get the microscale decal film on the net as LHS dosen't carry it. I learned the hard  way not to spray the decal bonder on the paper and then try to print again :banghead: :banghead: and as I can only print 1 image at a time sometimes the first decal smears going through the printer the second time.
I amuse me.