He 162 Volksjager, 1946

Started by pyro-manic, July 04, 2008, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Right, I'm in for this. I need to get on with doing things like painting (scares the hell out of me!), so I'm going to do a quick build as part of this GB. I'm going to do a He 162 in fictional 1946 markings.

Here's the kit I'm using:

Nice little kit - not the most detailed one around, but it looks decent enough. And for four quid, you can't really argue.

Main assembly done (very quick to build), and base-coated with primer. A few little seams and gaps to fill, and then I can get on with final assembly and painting. -_-
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

cthulhu77

There you go, making the rest of us look lazy !

pyro-manic

Just watch me fail to finish it. :rolleyes: There's only about 9 pieces glued together there anyway. Doesn't exactly take long. ;D

The scheme I'm going to do is a fictional airshow display scheme. The idea is that somehow the war in Europe ends without Germany being completely wiped out (maybe Hitler is assassinated, and the new leaders broker a peace deal with the Western Allies), and the He162 (with the major bugs ironed out) is displayed at airshows to show off German technology. I'm thinking a bare metal and white finish, with red details.

John Howling Mouse

You can do it, P-M!  Don't let the paint worry you.  That should be the FUN part!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Weaver

Nice idea - I like display/manufacturer's demonstrator schemes; have a few in mind myself.

If it's a company demonstrator, then it could have an "appropriate" civil reg. like D-VOLK or D-LZRD.... ;D

(BAe's demo Hawk is registered G-HAWK, Aermacchi's uprated MB-339C demo was I-GROW, and the corresponding single-seater MB-399K with guns was I-BITE)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

BlackOps

Get one color down and the rest will follow  ;D
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

GTX

Some possible inspiration:

See here for more.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

BlackOps

Inspiration? Heck that's downright intimidating! Gorgeous though  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

pyro-manic

Bloody hell. I'm not going to be able to match that! :blink:

pyro-manic

Well, the weather is trying to sabotage my build it seems, the rain having been pretty much constant since the weekend, so very little progress has been made. I stood the aircraft on it's landing gear, only to realise that it's very tail-heavy. I may have to make a base and glue the thing down to solve this. I'm hoping the weather clears tomorrow, so I can get the base colours on (I'll be hand-painting the details, but there's no way I'm painting the white uppers by hand!). Fingers crossed...

pyro-manic

I've got the base colours on, at least. Doubtful I'll get this thing finished by the deadline, but it'll be done in the next few days. Photos to follow when I take the masking off...

EDIT: Bleh, that's torn it. The white paint has turned out all bubbly and pitted. I'll have to sand it down and start again.  :banghead:

pyro-manic

OK, here's the basic colours after the masking has been taken off. I think I managed to mostly fix the bubbly effect on the white spray, and anything else can be corrected when I hand-paint the details. The metallic belly colour is Halfords Mercedes Brilliant Silver, and the upper white is BMW Alpine White. It's actually more of a light grey, but it's pretty nice. I think I my have sprayed it on a little too thickly - when I took the masking off, it left a little flaky bit in some areas, but I should be able to remove this carefully with a sharp blade.

Still to do is the detail painting, and then markings. I'm thinking of keeping them simple - just the crosses on the wings and fuselage, and badges/ID numbers on the rudders. I'm also going to highlight some of the details in red - the wingtips, the engine intake lip, and maybe the rudders. I might also put a lightning bolt or something down the sides of the engine.

Thoughts, comments and criticisms, please. :)

Also, if a mod could move this to "current projects", as I failed to finish for the 1WGB.

pyro-manic

A little more progress on this build - I've started adding the accent colours. The paint is going on a little streaky, but enough coats should even it out eventually. I'm still undecided about the amount of weathering I should do. This is a display ship, so there shouldn't be too much grime, but the white would show up any dirt rather easily...

Also, a gratuitous shot of my new dedicated modelling area. Up 'til now I've been pretty much working out of a box, so it's fantastic having a space (however small!) solely for "me" stuff.  :party:

A cheap table and stool from Ikea, and it makes a huge difference. You can see my current projects on the table, as well as some of my 1/100 scale Gundam models at the back. The stash and other bits and bobs are in the boxes underneath.

pyro-manic

A little more progress - the main markings are on. I'm not sure whether to put swastikas on the tails, or leave them off (I'm not sure which way to go with the alt history - is the Nazi regime still in power, or did it fall with Hitler's death/the peace treaty with the West?). They'd look good on the red, but I'm not sure I want to clutter it up too much...?

Your thoughts? :)

Chap

Very Nice, the Swastika is your personal choice; however I think it would look nice with a red sunburst pattern on either the top or bottom of the wings. Similar to the Pitts Special (just minus the stars):

~Steve