Eagle GR.4 (TSR2) For One Week GB

Started by Ed S, July 04, 2008, 09:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

Ed, I think this is gonna look great in pink, after seeing your other work I have no doubt this is gonna be a beauty.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ed S

Today's update.  I started the weathering by misting on a light and uneven coat of well thinned sand colored paint.  It helped tone down the pink.  And the decals are on.  I found some Tornado Operation Granby decals and used some of them (a bigger scale, but close enough).   Should have it finished tomorrow evening.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Daryl J.

This project has me chuckling away rather happily!

Daryl J.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Ed S

In the twilight of it's career, the TSR.2, also known as the Eagle GR.4 got the chance to prove itself in combat.  During Desert Storm/Operation Granby, Eagles flown by the RAF participated in the destruction of the Iraqi war machine.  Shown is one of the a/c as it was configured for the opening night of the war when they flew hi-speed low level airfield denial missions to shut down the Iraqi AF.  It is carrying the JP.233 along with some Alarm missiles to help with SEAD during ingress.  During the war, no GR.4's were lost in combat.  Although one received a hit from a small SAM, but made it back to base with minor damage.  One a/c was lost during the deployment when it took a bird strike just after takeoff, and lost both engines.  The crew ejected safely.  Quickly painted in ARTF (alkali removable temporary finish) using a pinkish desert sand color, the a/c blended in well over the deserts of Asia Minor.  But the finish was prone to weathering, getting dirty and usually peeling of showing the original dark grey of the regular European camo.

Port side view.

Close up of the artwork on the nose.

The starboard side.

The bottom view.

And the front view.

Got it done with a few hours to spare.  Not the easiest kit to build and it had some problems, but overall, it looks good.  Although I might have overdone the weathering just a little.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

AeroplaneDriver

DROOL.... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Absolutely stunning job Ed.  One of the best looking Eagles I've seen, and in only a week too!

I wouldnt worry about the weathering.  The Tornadoes and Jags looked pretty rough by the end of combat as the ARTFF paint wore away.  Looke perfect to me. :bow:

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

John Howling Mouse

Love the way the paint is succumbing to the harsh Iraqi elements...and the sheer speed of the Eagle.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

cthulhu77

I think the weathering is perfect, looks like it was used !   :cheers:

Brian da Basher

I've got to agree with Mr Cthulhu. The weathering is top-notch and the nose art is icing on the cake! Well done, Ed!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

BlackOps

I new this was gonna be a looker! Nice work Ed  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Daryl J.

Two thumbs up!    This kit makes the absence of the real live TSR.2 even more painful.

Daryl J.

lancer

Awsome, absolutely fracking awsome!! superb job!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die