Main Menu

Su-34

Started by Sisko, July 04, 2008, 11:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sisko

Well I know that I said I was working on some Sci-Fi for the starship modeler contest but I was faced with a conundrum.
I had to go away for a week on business and I knew that I couldn't take that project with me.

So I took the Italeri Su-34 kit with me instead as something to work on.

I figured I would build a little and when I got back I would continue with the Bird of Prey.
Well the fit was really good and the whole kit essentially fell together. There was the annoying Italeri habit of having injector pin marks in difficult to reach spots and some of the fit on the missiles and bombs was a little ordinary but nothing the application of basic modelling skills couldn't rectify. On the whole it was a really relaxing and quite fulfilling build.

By the time I got back home from my trip it was at the paint stage. This was a problem for me because when a kit is at this stage I have to finish it.

So here are some pics of the first top coat. I have a pretty tripped out camo scheme picked out for this one.

Think reptile.....ish

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Taiidantomcat

:wub: One of the smoothest aircraft out there, i love the SU-34... you did that in a week?? :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Damian2

good to see you got a coat on in spite of the cats!  :thumbsup:
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

GTX

Looking good.  On a related note, I wish someone would release a 1/48 version.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Sisko on July 04, 2008, 11:05:44 PM
Think reptile.....ish

Gekko ?

I know, I know...... coat, right ?

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Sisko

Time for some update pics.

The basic painting is done. The reptile markings did come out really well. I was a bit unsure as I started pulling off the blutac, but the more I pulled off, the more I was was happy with the result. I did have some problems tonight with a bad reaction that dull coat had with with the tamiya olive green top coat. For some reason it decide to expose the base coat on all raised areas.

Weird :o

After some respraying and a coat with a different rattle can of flat we were back on track. I am now at the decal, detail and weathering stage.

Hope you enjoy.

BlackOps

Totally not what I expected but I highly approve :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

Well that's just one of the coolest builds and paintjobs ever :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Very distinctive but, getting back to the dullcoat part: did it lift the paint on raised panel lines in a desirable way?
I've seen Testors spraypaint recede from raised panel lines on AMT starship models in just the right way (instant panel lines revealed!).

What markings are you planning for your Gekko?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

You've got every right to be pleased with that paintjob and then some, Sisko! That's a very striking camo scheme that's bound to turn a lot of heads!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Sisko

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on July 08, 2008, 10:53:28 AM
Very distinctive but, getting back to the dullcoat part: did it lift the paint on raised panel lines in a desirable way?
I've seen Testors spraypaint recede from raised panel lines on AMT starship models in just the right way (instant panel lines revealed!).

What markings are you planning for your Gekko?

Cheers fellas for the nice comments.

I had a look at it this morning in the harsh light of day and some of the paint around the engines is still a bit orange peely and you can see the lighter colour through it in parts.

I will fix this up with weathering and panel lines but it is still annoying.

The paint did receed from the panel lines but they where recessed. I have been using testors lusterless flat over tamiya acrylics for years and never had an issue. I grabbed some dullcoat because the shop didn't have any and thought what the hell, it shouldn't be that different.

I have some indian markings. that I was thinking of using. :ph34r:

Rafael

I M P R E S S I V E !!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Taiidantomcat

:wub: that is really cool! especially like the fins.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Aussie747

Nice scheme! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

:cheers:
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

Sisko

Well disaster has struck.

No matter what I tried I could not get rid of the of the orange peel effect and the paint just continued to degrade and get worse with each coat of clear. I have no idea why this particular model has gone down this way but there you go.

So I have had to strip the paint right back to the bare plastic and start again. It has taken all night to strip the paint and in the process I broke the tail plane off. In shear frustration I almost threw in the towel on this kit.

But my stubborness got the better and I am going to give it another go.

What a pisser >:(