Soviet Acrobats

Started by Chap, July 06, 2008, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chap

Saturday and today were a little more hectic then I anticipated, so I will be starting tomorrow as I have the day off. :party:

A small snippet of the backstory: A German built Type "Y" zeppelin (LZ120 "Bodensee") is handed over to Italy in 1921 as part of war reparations and renamed "Esperia", in 1925 a storm blows the "Esperia" off course and she crash lands in Soviet territory, she is rebuilt and impressed into military service as a maritime patrol ship and modified to launch and retrieve aircraft.

After drawing ideas from the USS Macon and Akron, Osprey's lovely book Zeppelins: German Airships 1900-40, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and "Crimson Skies" all the design work is now finished. The actual aircraft will be fairly straight forward; the daunting part will be the partial 1/72 zeppelin I plan on building for the diorama. So in true group build tradition, the customary pre-commencement photo.

~Steve

Chap

First Update:

Cockpit is finished and the fuselage is ready to be buttoned up.

A close up of Captain Vasilii Sgibnev with a somewhat bewildered look upon his face, probably wondering why he volunteered for this outfit.

~Steve

cthulhu77

Dude...that photo alone makes the build worthwhile !!!     :cheers:
I love it !

sotoolslinger

Are aliens allowed on this site ,cause humans cannot paint that small :banghead: :banghead: :wub: :wub: :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Chap on July 07, 2008, 10:23:33 AM
A close up of Captain Vasilii Sgibnev with a somewhat bewildered look upon his face, probably wondering why he volunteered for this outfit.

Probably wondering where the FRAK his lower legs went?!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Nice work ! I think Vasilii looks bewildered 'cause he can't believe he just dropped that bottle of Vodka he had firmly clamped between his hands !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Chap

Thank you all for the kind words.

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on July 07, 2008, 05:06:22 PM
Quote from: Chap on July 07, 2008, 10:23:33 AM

Probably wondering where the FRAK his lower legs went?!

JHM, the pilot is from a long gone Heller P-38 and instead of having a correct cockpit; Heller decided to lop off the pilots legs.

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 07, 2008, 05:34:03 PM
Nice work ! I think Vasilii looks bewildered 'cause he can't believe he just dropped that bottle of Vodka he had firmly clamped between his hands !

Could very well be Cap'n! :lol:

End of Monday Update:

The side pieces to the main trapeze.

The partial zeppelin frame.

~Steve

cthulhu77

two hands clapping down here in AZ !

Brian da Basher

Same here in PA! That's a wonderfully ambitious project, Chap and you know I'm watching with keen interest Excellent work! That little fighter is perfect to be launched from an airship!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

nev

WHOA!  Zeppellin Frame????

ZEPPELLIN FRAME?????????   :blink: :blink: :blink:

*faints*
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

Hell-fire: that's an original idea! :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gary

Looking at the pilot shot I was thinking he was regretting pulling those negative G's and was watching the roll of toilet paper float out of the cockpit. He has a kind of constipated look on his face.

But now when you say... Zeppelin. Talk about a Stairway to Heaven! Wowsers!
Getting back into modeling

sotoolslinger

Continuing to be too cool.... man I wish I could scratchbuild :banghead: :thumbsup: :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Chap

Thanks Gents!

End of Tuesday Update:

Not much progress today, but some.

I have simplified the trapeze setup.

~Steve

John Howling Mouse

All this and for a one-week GB?!  That's pretty amazing.  Looking very promising, Steve!   :bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.