Avro Chadderton Mk. B.I (Special) - A revisit to the RAF Pacific Operations

Started by kitnut617, July 09, 2008, 05:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Not good enuff  :wacko:, come-on get a move on, the people need to know !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

Yus-Suh !!!!

Problem is there's these three little COIN's that just had to sneak in and jump the queue ---- next project I think though.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

The final pieces of the puzzle have fallen into place, I needed another Lincoln nose & bomb aimers window plus mid fuselage plug and on the ATF forum someone was after some Merlin 85's and was thinking about the Flightpath Lincoln conversion but didn't want to buy the whole conversion set, the upshot is we've gone halves on the set, he gets all the engines and props, I get the nose, window and plug plus he gets all what's left over to do what he wants with as I don't need any of it.

This looks like it could start soon, I'll keep you posted.

kitnut617

The Lincoln nose and fuselage plug arrived some weeks ago, but this week I got the answer to my contra-props problem ( I think).  I want to make some 3-bladed props around about 15-16 feet in diameter and I discovered that some 10'-6" dia' props in 1/48 will be close to the mark.  Aeroclub do a prop for a Blenheim and also a Grumman F3F in 1/48 scale so I bought three of each (they come singularly in the packets in this scale), in the photos below you can see the props, then the difference in diameter they will be compared to the 1/72 Shackleton prop, then while looking for a suitable prop shaft, found that the plastic tube you find on compressed air can (the type for cleaning your keyboards etc) fitted very well in the rear prop hub of the Shackleton kit and very snugly in the hole provided in the prop.  Both the new props are Hamilton Standard but they turn in the opposite directions which is what I was looking for.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: kitbasher on August 26, 2009, 01:53:02 PM
OMG - the world's biggest whif zwilling!!!  ;D ;D

Not quite KB, someone has built a 1/72 scale C-5 Galaxy zwilling out of two ID Models kits.  It was taken from an actual Lockheed study and I've read that there was a model of it in the front lobby of Lockheed for quite a while.  My Chadderton would fit under one wing of a C-5.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

kitnut617

Thanks guys, it wasn't forgotten, just had other things to do first plus I was still searching for bits and pieces for it.  I don't think I need anything else now though.

I thought there was a lot of work to do getting the two props to look similar (the blades are different slightly) but after I had cleaned all the flash off one of the F3F props, I found there wasn't a lot of difference at all.  And a couple of minutes later I had one of the Blenheim prop blades looking almost like a mirror image of the F3F blade.  I'm not worried about the hubs because they'll disappear behind some spinners.

Brian da Basher

Looking good, kitnut! Funny to see another whiffer busy matching up some props as I've been doing the same thing. Not easy to get them to look even.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

kitnut617

This project has been lingering for quite a while now, not sure when I'm going to get on with it as RW raises it's ugly head again.

But one of the ideas I had for it has suddenly been revealed as a very real possibility.  I had intended for my Chadderton to be armed with 20mm's in dorsal and ventral turrets and some of them would be remote controlled.  Well, in the latest issue of Air-Britain's Aeromilitaria (Spring 2011), there is a photo of an unusual Lancaster test bed, this photo is of the rear end of Lancaster LL780/G which shows a dorsal and ventral remote controlled turret (similar in appearance to B-29 turrets in shape), one directly above the other and about a roundels width back from the rear end of the bomb bay, these were a prototype Boulton Paul system. Both are armed with a pair of 20mm's which look like the type found on the Shackleton and the gunner sits in faired over tail section, this looks a little like the rear end of a Neptune in appearance. Through the windows you can see a similar gun sight to what is seen in B-29's and B-36 blisters, plus it looks like it might have used a ranging radar too.

kitnut617

Captain Canada

DF*N....Done For Now, just like this build lol. Thanks for the pics of the remote turrets, how cool is that ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?