Wasp Major and Tornado(radial engine) Aircrafts: XF8B, XP-71, XP-69, XP-72

Started by ysi_maniac, July 11, 2008, 07:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

You'll be wantin' this then laddie:

http://www.enginehistory.org/P&W/R-4360/Wasp%20Major%20Index.pdf

;D ;D

Other WWII period single-engine aircraft to use/test the R-4360 were as follows:
XP-72

F4U-1 (W.M.)

Conversion article on Modeling Madness:
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/us/usn/garf4uwm.htm

Vought V-326/326A

Jon

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

BTW, collecting bit and info to make an 'In service' Goodyear Corsair
:wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

Quote from: ysi_maniac on July 29, 2008, 11:16:01 AM
Little off topic but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XP-68_Tornado
Is that right? a 42 cylinder radial engine?  :o :o :o :o :party:

That's right Carlos, I've got a book on it which I bought from the Historical Aircraft Engine Society when I was a member.  The engine was built in two row, 14 cylinder modules, three modules making the 42 cylinder version.  The idea was so they could have engines of various power just by removing or adding a module, 14, 28, 42, 56 etc. all having a diameter off about 36".  Crankshafts and camshafts were connected with special couplings and it was liquid cooled, and each row of cylinders was lined up exactly in front of one another so the camshafts could be connected.  Amazingly, there one engine in existence, the majority of the book describing how it was restored.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: ysi_maniac on July 29, 2008, 11:19:11 AM
BTW, collecting bit and info to make an 'In service' Goodyear Corsair
:wub:

What scale?  I have a 1/72 kit of one in the stash made by Xotic Kits and I believe MPM or Special Hobby do a 1/72 kit too.

jcf

kitnut617

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 29, 2008, 11:45:05 AM
That image is in the book I have Jon, along with a bunch more

Yep, its from the publisher's website.

Jon

elmayerle

If you're going with wasp Major aircraft, don't forget the XP-72 from Republic, an evolved derivative of the P-47 (I wonder how it would've done with P-47N wings).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

kitnut617

Quote from: elmayerle on July 29, 2008, 12:25:43 PM
If you're going with wasp Major aircraft, don't forget the KP-72 from Republic, an evolved derivative of the P-47 (I wonder how it would've done with P-47N wings).

Is that XP Evan, not heard of a KP-72.  I've often wondered about the XP-72 with the wings of the P-47N, it's a good possibility it could've happen had the war dragged on into 1946 I think.

Brian da Basher

Tasty!

Brian da Basher

elmayerle

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 29, 2008, 02:29:56 PM
Quote from: elmayerle on July 29, 2008, 12:25:43 PM
If you're going with wasp Major aircraft, don't forget the KP-72 from Republic, an evolved derivative of the P-47 (I wonder how it would've done with P-47N wings).

Is that XP Evan, not heard of a KP-72.  I've often wondered about the XP-72 with the wings of the P-47N, it's a good possibility it could've happen had the war dragged on into 1946 I think.

Yeah, should've been XP-72.  I'm rather tempted to do that cross-mix as a P-72B version, perhaps with a five-bladed prop to keep from having to go to the extra weight of a contraprop installation.

kitnut617

Quote from: elmayerle on July 29, 2008, 07:59:33 PM
Yeah, should've been XP-72.  I'm rather tempted to do that cross-mix as a P-72B version, perhaps with a five-bladed prop to keep from having to go to the extra weight of a contraprop installation.

After seeing a photo of the P-51F (I think) with a five blade prop I think that would have been a real possibility.  When I got my CA-15 I noticed it was about the same size as the XP-72 or Martin Baker MB5 and I had originally fitted a Sea Fury prop and spinner to it, it didn't look out of place.  The CA-15 or the MB5 would be a good candidate for the R-4360 too IMO.

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 30, 2008, 07:23:01 AM
They're perfect as they are. 

I didn't say they weren't Lee   :thumbsup:  It just that the CA-15 was to get R-2800 originally but the supply of engines wasn't ensured so they went with a Griffon, and as the previous Martin Baker aircraft had Napier Sabres, IMO the MB5 was earmarked for the same thing, there's definitely room for it or any of the bigger radials.  I'd like to see some photos of your Centaurus MB5 though.

elmayerle

Well, since NAA is verified as having done preliminary layout work on a R2800-powered P-51 version, how about one with a R4360 and an extended rear fuselage (say from the F-82) for wieght and balance purposes?