RADIAL ENGINED Me109X **FINISHED** at last!

Started by HOG, July 13, 2008, 03:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOG

Hoyhoy`l

Plodding along.
Fuselage rework continues with sanding of cowl and wrapping in .25mm card to get that stepped edge 801 look and refining cockpit edge and inner surfaces.

Work on wings commences, using the fw190 lower wing as 1/  it fits the wide fuselage and 2/ Im getting old. Using a copy of plan plus reversed image I had a full span plan and had to get the wheel wells in somehow. First I thought to just cut out this section from both lower wings, but in the end I removed most of the FW wing front half and replaced with  front from 109 wing as this kept the leading edge profile and slat placement. Here slats, flaps etc removed for later replacemen and animating. The wing tips are made using sections of plan stuck onto thin polycard and glued to assembled wing, and filler used to build up shape.

And this is where I is at. Next to go is the cockpit based loosely on 109E with bits from the spares box but I need to pinch a seat and dashboard from another kit. Once this is in I can fix the lower wing and start on the top. Perhaps that might make it look a bit more presentable ;D

Cheers  :drink:
Gary

My wife drives me to drink as I wont drink and drive. I spills to much
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Sisko

Wow this is one I'll be watching!!!!

If it is anything like your last couple of builds then it will be a beaut. :cheers:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

sotoolslinger

Oh my , my heart is all aflutter ,other bits of me are doin stuff too.  ;D :wub: Awesome build. :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

HOG

Cockpit prepaint

Sidewalls ex Hasegawa old tooling plus fusewire
Floor kit item upside down, placard and etch odds n sods
Seat thinned out Revell G-10
Inst` panel Tamiya 109E.

Not an Otaki kit as I first thought but Arii

Gary

IDIOT EDIT
Have been told this IS the Otaki kit and the Matcbox kit, and several others have reboxed this.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

Beauty, looking forward to shooting these down. ;D ;D :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

Nice work on the cowling, HOG! It's always a treat to see one of your projects come together.

Brian da Basher

HOG

Hoyhoy`l

Progress continues,

Interior work

Canopy

Behind the model is the mould I made using the 262`s kit canopy, that was fitted to the 262`s Wasserflugzeug and Mistel models. Another copy was thrust through which I am using here, cut down at the rear and filling with Milliput. The 109X fuselage was then wrapped in clingfilm and the Milliput filled mould was pushed down over the fuselage to get the basic shape,. The clingfilm stops the Milliput sticking to the model while it sets. Yes I know I could have used wax or vaseline but I`ve had problems in the past with the Milliput creeping into the hole and locking the moulding in place and requiring surgery to remove it.
After it has partially set I take the moulding off and allow to dry fully, pop of the vacform and work on the Milliput copy to final shape. Then its another thrust mould of the finished artical.
It`s easier to do than describe.
More pics as and when
Gary
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

Sweet.  :wub: Something everyone might consider for making molds. Go to a gunsmith or order from BROWNELLS. ACRAGLASS GEL. This is a polymer epoxy that is poured into gunstocks to fit the action perfectly to the stock. It comes with its own very effective separating agent and takes detail as well as anything ever.(follow the instructions exactly) It is very easy to use.
I amuse me.

CPNGROATS

Gary:  Nice progress on your 109X....when this a/c was being testflown in the Fatherland one observer was overheard saying ......" that FOKKER was a Messerschmitt..."   :o

Cheers,
ggc

HOG

Hoyhoy`l

On with the PSR and a bit of repair work

As you can see work progresses, ran out of model turning the `square` 190 fuselage into the `ovoid` 109. Hole cleaned up and back to `solid` plastic & filled with some rod and brushed on filler. The canopy is a much better fit than appears here. Gremlins must have moved it when taking photo.  Well the wings are on and had to cut the wingroot trailing edge back by about 1cm to match plans hence thick edge in pics 4 & 5 and that was a new tube of filler when I started. Cockpit from assorted sources is in and reasonably pleased with the result but much more work required.

Perhaps I should explain here how I "brush on filler". I have a variety of putty knives etc but still manage to get filler around the hole and not in it. Now I use a largish brush dipped in liquid glue (or cellulose thinners) and then dipped into the filler tube. Stir it around until it goes gloopy and paint the filler exactly where I want it. It also dries as quick as the glue (5-10 minutes) and is deffinately bonded to the model so no cracks or chips. Give it a go, works for me.
Gary
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

Nifty tip ;D :wub: I definitely give that a try :thumbsup: Bout effin time you posted an update :party: ;D
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

That's coming along very nicely, HOG! Thanks for sharing some of your secrets with us!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

HOG

Hoy`l agin

Should have mentioned in `brush on filler`, use an old brush and keep the glue in a seperate pot as it tends to thicken.

cheers
gary

EDIT
Just been rereading just to see where I had gotten up to when I found this

"Nifty tip   I definitely give that a try  Bout effin time you posted an update"

I would have more `effin` time if I didn`t have to keep up with the fecundity of the So Tool`etc production line posts. Slow down guy before you give me a heart attack ;D  but very nice worki on the 190/spit.

(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

HOG

Hoyhoy`l

PSR continues. Loads done but nothing really noticable but
Wing root sanded to a more sharper edge and faired into fuselage./
Gave up on existing wingtips, removed and 60thou replacements added. Hopefully this will stop the extreme tips from snapping off every five minutes.

At last somethig added and the flaps are on, cut from the 190 wing, filled sanded and cut to size with the ailerons.
Will probably have to fix the ailerons temporarily to get right shape on wingtips.
Engine bulges are setting as I type and hoefully will be added by next post to give a better impression of a BMW 801.;
While I`m in the cowl area, some dents and bumps have appeared around where I stretched the original kit and are probably the result of glue fumes from the joins. As it is only 10thou card here, (you can see through the card to underneath) this thickness is easily distorted and I will have to fill and sand. I did play around with some foil from a wine bottle and the idea of a natural metal cowl is appealing, as the only deffinate colour ref I can find for this plane is RLM02 overall let alone national marking etc. Any one got some info on the finish I don`t know about?
More as it happens,
Gary
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Rafael

Marvelous, HOG!!!

This is a masterpiece :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER