RADIAL ENGINED Me109X **FINISHED** at last!

Started by HOG, July 13, 2008, 03:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOG

Hoyhoy`l

Bit more done. Since last post I dropped it, landed on left wing tip, bounced and scared hell out of the dog (who was asleep at my feet) when it landed on her nose, who went and barked at the sleeping cat who had a kind a "what the hell have I done?" sorta expression. Anyway not to serious but the root on the other wing popped and the fuselage join seperated sligfhtly. All fixed, just another senile brain fart. Any way, more added and it`s starting to look like a plane or somthink. Just noticed missing wheel cover when going through images in Photbuck so had better go and look before the Monster Under the Bench gets hungry.

Found it. The one thing on this build thats giving me headaches are the small bulges either side of the cowl. Really trying hard to get two the same but symetrically opposite. Think the next bet is to cheat and alter shape slightly and mould one.
More when as & if
Cheers  :drink:
G
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

That is really turning out excellent Mr. H  :wub: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

wolfik

HOG

Hoyhoy`l

Now for some reason all the pics above arn`t showing. I have reorganised and deleted some stuff on Photbuck, but it shouldn`t affect this stuff?. If you`ve missed them sorry but I`m not going back over that lot.

Anyway been off the build mode on this for a while as it all seems to be a lot off work for little visual progress, and detail fixes, such as cowl bulges etc (which still haven`t happened to my satisfaction yet, but I am modifying the moulds) Below is a view of the base, which I painted up along withthe 109G-6`s base, with the model placed as in WIP mode.

It`s intentionaly kept clean and bland looking as time wise its 1940 Germany around Battle of Britain time Aug 1940. Dio options not sure yet but poss` pilot in overalls talking to some suits after/pre flight test with some civials in workclothes attending plane.

Any ways more when and what if,
cheers  :drink:
G
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sequoiaranger

On another thread, "Glenn" posted a German-painted Ki-100 and that got me to thinking that a similar "treatment" of inline-to-radial might look good on a Bf-109 and might be an simpler kit-bash (probably not that old Aoshima kit with the overly-oval fuselage, but the better "FineMolds kit.)

Don't misinterpret this--I like the look of your radial-engined Bf-109 and enjoy seeing it come together--just throwing around the idea.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

HOG

Hoyhoy`al

Erm .............sorry about the delay. but like you`ve gotta be in the mood right, plus life`s little surprises just suprise you, and I finally got those cowl bulges on to my satisfaction, and got some of my decal stash from me Mum`s (500 mile round trip just because I`m miserly, but I did get to see the family). Anyway heres W.I.P to date in RLM 63 Hellblau with an 02 cowl:-

Not to happy with the undercart angle but it`s probably the old Otaki moulding and to late to change now so will have to hide with ground crew or something, and at least I`ve rememberd the mass balances under the wing, unlike the 109G model, and the prop etc just on for show.

Can`t decide wether to add the stammerkan?.....stamerkantz? .... military code lettering to the sides and under the wing yet but will have to find the right type face. If anyone knows what font the luftwaffle used please let me know.

Enjoy and I hope the wait was worth it, usual comments etc enjoyed
G
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

bluntie

Yep ,likin' that ! if you squint its almost P-47 ish :thumbsup:
my hovercraft is full of eels

Brian da Basher

Not a What-If, but a "Should've-Been"! Really looks great, HOG! I especially like your color choice which fits a prototype undergoing testing perfectly.

Great to see an update on this fantastic project!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brian da Basher

dogsbody

Hog, regarding your landing gear, I'd say you had the doors on the wrong legs. I may be wrong about this as I can't see the wing underside well enough to tell the shape of the wheelwell. I know that the doors are reversed from normal 109 standard.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

ysi_maniac

A very well conceived project that is going very well so far :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

BlackOps

Nice to see this one come back out of the hanger, it's looking good  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sequoiaranger

>Hog, regarding your landing gear, I'd say you had the doors on the wrong legs. I may be wrong about this as I can't see the wing underside well enough to tell the shape of the wheelwell. I know that the doors are reversed from normal 109 standard.<

Dogsbody is right. Please take this "criticism" in the spirit of cooperation and improvement.

But in addition, I believe the landing gear is a little splayed from "official". That is, the angle between landing gear is too wide. Make them a little more upright, and then "bend" the wheel itself so that it is slightly more parallel with the landing gear. See reference pic below (a very early Bf-109 prototype).

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

dogsbody

Quote from: sequoiaranger on October 31, 2008, 08:51:55 AM

Dogsbody is right. Please take this "criticism" in the spirit of cooperation and improvement.

Yes, please. I meant no harsh criticism at all. It was just an observation.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

HOG

Hey Peoples remember the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy:-
DON`T PANIC

No offense taken and you`ll notice that I request comments on all my posts. Sometimes people see the obvious errors while I`m to closeup to the subject.

"Hog, regarding your landing gear, I'd say you had the doors on the wrong legs. I may be wrong about this as I can't see the wing underside well enough to tell the shape of the wheelwell. I know that the doors are reversed from normal 109 standard."

"But in addition, I believe the landing gear is a little splayed from "official". That is, the angle between landing gear is too wide. Make them a little more upright, and then "bend" the wheel itself so that it is slightly more parallel with the landing gear. See reference pic below (a very early Bf-109 prototype)."

Taking these points in turn,
Yep Dogsbody in the pictures my undercart doors do look the wrong way round, but in the pics below the Arii,Otaki,Matchbox, Gakken (and possibly Edai and Entex),boy this kits been around, kit doors are so badly shaped that it`s hard to tell which is the right way round. They only differ on the internal moulding showing the stiffening straps.

And Sequiaranger the legs the legs are splayed more on this version due to the wider body and Messerschmitts method of attaching them to the fuselage root.
But you have both pointed me in the right direction to improve things.

In the top photo I measured the track on the plan which came out just a few thou over 2 inches, measured the model and this was around 2 1/4 inches so your right I was a scale foot out. Holes have been redone and now the sit is improved. The holes being in the baseboard as I tend to pin my models. The other problem is the kit legs themselves as the moulding puts the wheels at a 90 degree angle to the leg. The wheels were removed and the hole was reamed out with a file to allow some `slop` in fitting and then reaffixed at an angle to the leg avoiding that upright look. Not a 100 percent sucess but an improvement. Incidently the wheels and hub are from the Tamiya 109E kit to give a correct hub and tread pattern for `E`s and early `F`s. From the tamiya kit I have also `borrowed` the doors which thou` undersized give a better visual impression. I knew the doors were wrong from the start but what with all the other work involved couldn`t be ar$ed but lesson learned.

So thanks guys for your help and don`t be afraid to me where I`m going wrong  :thumbsup: I might be good but I aint perfect. (Don`t tell the wife or kids I said that)
G

(Ralph Waldo Emerson )