RADIAL ENGINED Me109X **FINISHED** at last!

Started by HOG, July 13, 2008, 03:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOG

Hi GTX, please be my guest.

I knew this was going to be a PIG before I started. Just getting the two fuselages to mate would be a job anna bit. At this moment intime it`s off its base, with no undercart. When I was doing the seatbealts in the cockpit, I leaned on a wing a little to hard and noticed that one of the underparts doors had come away. On further inspection one of the legs had snapped where I had drilled to take the brake cable, and the break was inside the undercart hole.
Soooooooooooooo off with its legs, drill out stubs in location holes, find suitable donor parts (legs Tamiya E-3 wheels Hobbycraft G-2), pack drill holes with Milliput, dip U/C legs in Vaseline and push into putty at correct angle matching spread and rake until putty sets.
Now all I`ve gotta do is rewire brake line to legs, fit, paint, drill wheels to take wire pegs, paint, glue with the pegs at the right angle to fit the baseboard, apply doors, repair damage caused by doing the above.  Ah well at least where its so cold I should avoid a lot of fingerprints on the paint.

Still the figures are comming along nicely.
:drink:
G
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

HOG

Hoyhoy`Al

Well it seems a lot longer than July last year when I first posted this build.  I`ve dropped it a couple of times, lost parts, crushed it, but at last it finally feels like it`s coming together.

The figures certainly help bring it to life and at last I`ve got a 109 with BOTH seat belts hanging out the cockpit, and I can pose the pilot on the `wrong` side to get in. Theres another 3 figures to finish, the two ociffers standing by the car and a ground crewman hanging on the sidelines somewhere.

I`m really liking the ICM range of figures. It`s so nice to be able to assemble, minimum cleanup and on to painting, as opposed to my normal method and I`m going to get more of them. The one thing I`m puzzled of is the Tamiya Citroen/ICM figures set. This limited edition package retails here in the UK at £14:67. Separately there £7:82 and £4:88 at Hannants saving £2:00. Still why should I care mine came off Ebah at  £10:00 including P+P. The other odd thing is that the ICM figures are to a slightly larger scale nearer true 48th than the Tamiya offerings which look decidedly small in comparison
I`m now looking for a Tamiya start cart and figures just to finish it of so I`m on the look-out for that to fill the space on the left side.

Another couple off days should see the figures painted and added so will post as and when. Crit & Comm as you like as I`m not listening  ;D

Cheers  :drink:
G
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

HOG

"Another couple off days should see the figures painted and added so will post as and when. Crit & Comm as you like as I`m not listening"

Awcom`on people, I was only kidding  ;D 
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

cthulhu77

Very nice work, indeed.  I do agree, the Tamiya figures I have all are slightly smaller than any of my others...even in 1/35th. Just rationalize it as size difference between people.

Rafael

A beauty. Simply stunning!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

HOG

Hoyhoy`Al

Well it`s done (till I get a start cart). To tell you the truth at one time I didn`t think it would get finished, just quietly left to molder at the back of the shelf but I`m glad I persevered.

Now this is done I might have another go at the 109Z, or the butterfly tail G or.............
but must get the Croatian G-10 finished first, then theres that solid balsa Horten X I started about 2 years ago, then theres the 109E ski plane to finish, or the etc etc etc.
As usual comments, critisism and invites to the pub are always welcomed,
Cheers  :drink:
G
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

BlackOps

Gary everything looks great! I really enjoy your work. From the base to the vehicles and personnel, all top notch!  :wub:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Brian da Basher

Just amazing, HOG! Museum quality work that looks like a little slice of history! You could fool a lot of "experten" with this beauty!
:bow: :bow:
Brian da Basher

Zeke

It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Beautiful piece of work - absolutely beautiful..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

lancer

Another masterpiece from the House of Hog!!! Absolutely stunning.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Daryl J.

Sisko

Always love seeing your work mate and this is no exception! :wub:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

matrixone

The 109 and the figures turned out great! :thumbsup:

I also like the ICM figures and find they are much better than those that are included with the Tamiya kits.
The 1/48 scale Luftwaffe figures from Eduard are awful, I built some of them a few years ago and quickly found them to be a waste of time and money.
In the new Tamiya kit of the Fw 190F-8/F-9 they have included a bomb loading cart and two figures, the figures look very nice and are close to the same quality as those produced by ICM.

Matrixone