Maritime Patrol and ASW- the little ones......

Started by dy031101, July 13, 2008, 02:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

Quote from: Damian2 on July 21, 2008, 06:58:07 AM
I'd love to get my hands on one or two of the 1/48 Biz Jets like the Falcon or Lear Jet to do a coastal patrol variant and an electronic survailance variant.

The Learjets built for Finland have the ability to have a large radome mounted under the fuselage just aft of the cabin door for sea surveillance etc.  Combine that with the tiptank-mounted electronics pods such as the U-36 carries and you've got some interesting capabilities.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Quote from: elmayerle on July 24, 2008, 02:58:35 PM
Quote from: Damian2 on July 21, 2008, 06:58:07 AM
I'd love to get my hands on one or two of the 1/48 Biz Jets like the Falcon or Lear Jet to do a coastal patrol variant and an electronic survailance variant.

The Learjets built for Finland have the ability to have a large radome mounted under the fuselage just aft of the cabin door for sea surveillance etc.  Combine that with the tiptank-mounted electronics pods such as the U-36 carries and you've got some interesting capabilities.

The Falcon is already offered in MPA format - see here.

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

For a light MP/ASW aircraft, how about the unbuilt CV-10 version of the Bronco with upgraded engines (say using the engine installtions of a couple Shorts Tucanos so as to stay with the same basic TPE331 engine - or the TPE331 engine instls and props from a S-2t "tURBOTRACKER" conversion?  As i remember, it had a reasonably decently-sized fuselage and you could likely carry over any underwing hardpoints from OV-10s.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Quote from: elmayerle on July 24, 2008, 10:55:09 PM
For a light MP/ASW aircraft, how about the unbuilt CV-10 version of the Bronco with upgraded engines (say using the engine installtions of a couple Shorts Tucanos so as to stay with the same basic TPE331 engine - or the TPE331 engine instls and props from a S-2t "tURBOTRACKER" conversion?  As i remember, it had a reasonably decently-sized fuselage and you could likely carry over any underwing hardpoints from OV-10s.

Carrying over the turreted 20 mm gun and FLIR from the OV-10 Night Observation Gunship (NOGS) program would also be interesting - good way of dealing with some smaller boats or even dare I say a surfaced sub.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Wasn't there a proposed MPA variant of the HS/BAe.125, did it ever go into production?  It's listed on Wikipedia, but I can't find any more info on the net.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

There was certainly an MPA Hs.748 proposed, called the Coastguarder IIRC.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on July 25, 2008, 12:15:08 AM

Carrying over the turreted 20 mm gun and FLIR from the OV-10 Night Observation Gunship (NOGS) program would also be interesting - good way of dealing with some smaller boats or even dare I say a surfaced sub.

Regards,

Greg

A few months ago I picked up a 1/72 kit of this Greg.  I think it was a MPC kit.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike