American Messerschmitt

Started by sotoolslinger, July 16, 2008, 06:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Here's one I did a while back using the wings and tailplanes from an Avro 504. Not to give you ideas or anything...

Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 16, 2008, 08:39:44 AM
Unofficial "Fix the 109"GB????Anybody in?

Once again: quite hacking into my home PC, already!  :wacko:  Yep, I have the Americanization of this (and the FW190) on my Kit Project List.  In fact, I can't stand most German airframes and buy the kits only to Americanize them.  Same with Japanese aircraft.  I do appreciate the distinct qualities and capabilites of the actual aircraft but it's a matter of personal aesthetics: to me, they simply look "off" just a bit.  I always think they need bigger tailfins, solid tailplanes (no supporting braces!), bubble canopies and manly landing gear (it's all in the legs, baby).

Guess that's why I bashed the Seiran so bad into the A-5 Menaz.

Okay, I'm in with your unofficial GB.  RoT markings coming up!

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Rafael

Great start, STS!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I must have missed it, but, whose wing is that?. It has the looks of a very-high-altitude interceptor. (rocket bottles, anyone?)

The bubbletop is one of my favorite themes, so this one is already giving me a great delight.

Ah!, and please, stick a lone star somewhere in that plane

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sequoiaranger

As far as the narrow undercarriage goes, I think the Bf-109H got it right---put in a constant-chord section nearest the fuselage and put the wing-and-landing gear out a ways. This increases wing span and undercarriage track for better stability. The center sections might house cannon a la Fw-190 firing through the propeller hub.

The Bf-109H is an ideal start for a "Traeger" (carrier aircraft---my main love) in the 109 genre. I have made several Bf-109T's with the extended wing, but they are still plagued with the narrow undercarriage. My "H" derivative might not have a bubble canopy, but may have the "Malcolm hood" like some P-51's. It's a ways down my "to do" list, but I'm thinking about it.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sotoolslinger

Rafa ,the wings ,tail ,canopy, and (eventually)the horizontal stabilizers are all from a Tamiya A6M2 Zero(I'm kinda embarrassed about calling it American) but I wanted a long wingspan improved Bf -109 and that is what I had in the stash that looked right :wacko:I have already imported Willi Messerschmitt to the US with my M'stang build  and I want to get the Republic of Texas away from Germany during WW2 ....So this will be a design given to the RoT in exchange for assistance to the US. It will have Lone Star markings  ;D :wub:
JHM ,I swear I was off props and was going to start building jets ..... this just happened... as to the RoT markings we're gonna need those Americanized, possibly with a white outline and the blue bars sticking out the side and also we definitely need Toolslinger Engine Works decals ;D :wub: :bow:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

TreeWrangler...... it's got way big wide track landing gear now ;D the trick is just to completely bastardize the design :wacko:
I amuse me.

Daryl J.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 16, 2008, 03:47:14 PM
as to the RoT markings we're gonna need those Americanized, possibly with a white outline and the blue bars sticking out the side and also we definitely need Toolslinger Engine Works decals ;D :wub: :bow:

I was going to do some with yellow outlines for BdaB's sake; you know, interwar years sort of a feel.  But I'll do some up the way you mentioned, too.  Sort of a chronological series depicting the evolution of the design.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Oh wow and in fact woo hoo  ;D :wub: THAT would be really cool . First this will be the first RoT WW 2 plane so mixed era markings would be excellent :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

sequoiaranger

The Bv/Me 155 went through some bizarre iterations. The "A" version that closely resembled the Bf-109 would seem to me to be a good match, but the super-long-wing "monster" the Bv-155 became is a little weird.  Though in the whif realm, weird is OK.

Yes, I had my eye on a Ta-152 H as well, for conversion to a carrier-borne, two-seater recon plane (kinda like a "Myrt"---high and fast-flying spy aircraft to see what the H*ll was going on over the ocean battlefield). Even though the Fw-190's and such carried some heavy loads, apparently the 190/152 landing gear was unsuited for the THUMPS of carrier landings.  The 109's probably weren't much better, but we have hindsight-tehnology on our side now, don't we??

Sotoolslinger, if you are going to "Americanize" the Messerschmitt, are you going to call it a "Mister Smith"??
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sotoolslinger

Good one  Sequoiaranger ,you keep coming up with great(and funny) ideas ;D ....So the MisterSmith Texas Rangers ..... Rattlesnake

I moved the intake and slicked up the gun bulges

I got the horizontal stabs on . I tried to keep them in the same position as the original 109's

Just getting the nose together

Really lazy squirrel
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

Keeping the horizontal stabs at the same place on the tail as the original 109 is a bit of whiff brilliance, Toolslinger! All the elements are coming together nicely, not to mention those BFGs forward of the cockpit.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Thanks BdaB , you know what's really neat ...with the pilot figure in and the canopy on .... balanced on the jar like it is in the pictures.. you can spin it around like a top .... I wish I had video :banghead:
I amuse me.

GTX

Quotei would love a "Bf-109 GB"

That wouldn't be a bad idea - the idea of the Bf109 being whiffed like crazy by us is a great idea.  Almost the antithesis of a JMN Bf109 GB.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!