American Messerschmitt

Started by sotoolslinger, July 16, 2008, 06:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFROG

It's already been done (not that there's anything wrong with doing it again)
There's some really crazy stuff in there (and more than a few broken links but hours of happy viewing just the same)

B777LR

Sotoolslinger, some day, you just have to put that squirrel into a cockpit. :thumbsup: ;D

sequoiaranger

I really do like the look of your project, and will be doubly pleased if it ends up as a RoT "Texas Rangers" plane.

Uh....about "Rattlesnakes".  Maybe you could use the sidewinder (a type of rattlesnake for those that don't already know---also a Texan appellation for a no-good cheatin' scum!) decals I have pictured below (shown is only a portion of the sheet). That is, I can't gift them to you because they will likely end up on a model of my own (of course that's WHY I got it in the first place) , but you might inquire around to see if someone else has a set.

I can envision this on the forward fuselage as a "squadron badge", somewhat like the Flying Tigers' "Panda Bears" or something. The red sidewinders MAY be too big for a 1/72-scale MisterSmith, but would be ideal for a 1/48, methinks. The Microscale decal is made for the large tail of an 1/72 Navy A-7 Corsair.

Or.... you could put it behind the "national" markings on the fuselage, kinda like German staffel markings (e.g. horizontal bar, vertical bar, wavy bar).   In fact, maybe that would be part of the backstory, that German influence from association pre-war. That is, reading left to right on the left-side fuselage--  Plane #, RoT markings, "Sidewinders" staffel.  Other staffels would be "Longhorns", "Stetsons" (ten-gallon hat), and maybe the "Scissor-tailed Flycatcher" (OK---maybe a little obtuse, but it **IS** the Texas State Bird, and your aircraft is something from Texas that flies!!).
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sotoolslinger

Good ideas all SR. I think I either already have that set or the LHS does. I know I've seen it before. ;D I'll go look :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sequoiaranger

Brian da Basher

Looks mean, Toolslinger, but if it were mine, I'd put the snake up under the front of the canopy and have it facing forward. That sidewinder really adds to the intimidation factor!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

>if it were mine, I'd put the snake up under the front of the canopy and have it facing forward. That sidewinder really adds to the intimidation factor!<

Yeah, BdB. I wasn't thinking thoroughly when I made the mock-up. The decal sheet has two sidewinders facing each way, so what you proposed is quite do-able!

sotoolslinger

Thanks for all the input ya'll ;D I couldn't find the decal that SR sent (I'm sure I could look it up) but I did find this one

As the Texicans will be US allies by 1935 the new roundels will have these bars on them

Probably with red bars added
Now for some backstory.
In 1925 the RoT, unhappy with the direction Germany was going, broke off relations.By 1930 they had built good relations with the Commonwealth allies and in fact had purchased the rights to manufacture a copy of the CAC Bushmaster .Even after modifying it with retractable landing gear they were aware that a more modern design was nessessary. The British ,still very bitter over losses caused by Texan mercenaries during the Long War would have nothing to do with them. America ,seeing a possible future need for the Republic's resources , in 1934 signed a cooperation agreement with the president of the RoT Prescott Bush.
One of the things the RoT recieved in exchange was the design for the Messerschmitt 120 ,a fighter aircraft designed around a DB600 series inverted v 12 engine.The Texicans ,of course , had no access to such an engine and the US would not allow them to actually consult with Willi Messerschmitt .The aircraft was actually primarily designed and built by 2 men.The RoT Director of Aircraft Development was one of the most flamboyant and controversial figures in the government. Gary "Nightwalker" Hogg was the decendant of a Cherokee indian princess and the scion of a famous Texan family.A declared pacifist, he nonetheless always dressed in a combination of frontiersmans buckskins and military uniforms.He carried a huge Walker Colt pistol(with no ammo) a saber(with no edge) and also was never seen in public without one of his signature ornate swagger sticks(all known to contain the finest of whiskeys).He was known for his social excesses and huge parties but was also one of the greatest aircraft designers of his age.
The director of Toolslinger Engine Works in 1934 was one C.T. "Hammer" Burke. His signature line" If it don't fit hit it with a bigger hammer " was in fact a joke and he was known for his extremely compact and powerful ,as well as innovative  engine designs.
These two men took Messerschmitt's design and radically reworked it.
Burke wishing to avoid the problems of international patent law encountered by the US with their Springfield '03 designed a totally new inverted V-12 engine with an integral 2 stage, multispeed ,geardriven, supercharger

This 1700 horsepower engine had innovative features such as fuel injection, 4 valves per cylinder, and integral nitrous oxide tanks/injectors

The supercharger was mounted below and behind the engine block with dual intakes

The oil cooler was relocated to a mid fuselage position and twinned radiators were mounted one on each wing

Hogg redesigned the airframe to accomodate this new engine as well as incorporating both fuselage and wing, armored,self sealing gas tanks giving the aircraft a range of 880 miles on internal fuel.

I amuse me.

noxioux

That's nice and slinky. :wub:

I think we should do a sort of "WWII Extrapolation" GB, where we envision (ahem) logical changes to our favorite wartime aircraft.  Just like your build, and JHM's SuperBolts.  These ideas have produced some extremely sexy aircraft!

sotoolslinger

Good idea Nox ,that would open it up to more ideas than a 109 GB.
I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 18, 2008, 01:55:54 PM
The director of Toolslinger Engine Works in 1934 was one C.T. "Hammer" Burke. His signature line" If it don't fit hit it with a bigger hammer "

The blue is a bit light on purpose as it will end up darker by the time it's printed and applied as a decal with an overcoat of clear (hint, hint  :thumbsup: )

P.S.: STS, what size T-shirt do you wear?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

GTX

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on July 18, 2008, 08:40:23 PM
Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 18, 2008, 01:55:54 PM
The director of Toolslinger Engine Works in 1934 was one C.T. "Hammer" Burke. His signature line" If it don't fit hit it with a bigger hammer "

The blue is a bit light on purpose as it will end up darker by the time it's printed and applied as a decal with an overcoat of clear (hint, hint  :thumbsup: )

P.S.: STS, what size T-shirt do you wear?

Love it  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Brian da Basher

Those are some very cool mods, Toolslinger! I just hope nobody appropriates those N2O tanks for "unauthorized" uses...

That's a great logo Mr Howling Mouse! You should be in marketing!

Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Absolutely too cool Mr MOUSE ;D :wub:I wear an X-large. That is hilarious :lol: :bow:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Now BdaB everyone knows that Texans are very serious ,studious, folk who would never indulge in such activities ;D :o :lol: :rolleyes: :blink:
I amuse me.