American Messerschmitt

Started by sotoolslinger, July 16, 2008, 06:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Thanks ya'll still considering on the paint job. But wait till you see the underwing stores. :wacko:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sotoolslinger

Ok  paint begun today; the underside
primer

Cloud color

Masking (missed a step here)

Missed yet another step, I sprayed yet another color ,then mashed out the blutack and sprayed the blue on

I ended up with this

Here is the start of the underwing stores

I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

When the US and the RoT signed the mutual cooperation agreement and the Americans provided the Texicans with the plans for the Messerschmitt 120 one of the agreements was that it would be developed with an attack capability. The Texicans having just formed the Texas Rangers Air Wing were seeking a pure fighter. A long range ,high altitude design , with excellent manuverability and good speed was what Hogg and Burke were creating and all involved were loath to bastardize the design with excess weight or unaerodynamic underwing stores.
When initially visiting the Commonwealth allies RoT officials had discovered the brilliant weapons designer Zac J. Yates of KNZ Armory.KNZ was a producer of artillery and small arms but had never built any aircraft weaponry.  Yates was tasked with designing the smallest ,lightest, possible weapon that would fit on the single wing hardpoint provided and destroy a heavy tank. :wacko:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Zac Yates, "Hammer" Burke , and "Nightwalker" Hogg (who was ecstatic to be able to "liason" in NZ) came up with the Slammer double barrell

A dual feed ,twinned ,high velocity 30 mm cannon.

The aerodynamic planform ,ultralight, bottom ejecting cannon was mounted as close as possible to the wing and wired to fire in sequence,inboard ,outboard so as not to create recoil problems

Each cannon held a separate 20 round magazine which was easily accessible to ground crew and each gun was wired separately so that if one jammed the others would still function

The guns were slung on dedicated hardpoints and were droppable (although this was frowned upon)
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

Yet more proof that you can never have enough guns!

Love the camo scheme too, Toolslinger! Now where's my mudpies?

Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

Love the heavy "B.A.R."-style armament.

I, too, did a "cloud" camo bottom on one of my planes and liked the effect.  Despite clever, multi-color camos up top, the norm for real aircraft seems to be universally bland monotones.

If I may be bold, may I suggest an alternative dorsal engine scoop? The "big hole" in the top allows one to see right into the model, and slightly blocks the erstwhile pilot's view. Might you skim off an A-36 (early Mustang) or P-40 top scoop that has the opening nearer the propeller where the protrusion isn't as noticeable as the ogive of the nose dips downward? It would also "Americanize" the plane even more.

I know you've painted the top already, and my suggestion would require more cutting, sanding, and repainting. It's never "too late", though. The idea just came to me. Sorry.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

John Howling Mouse

How many rounds per cannon?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Actually SR I thought about that but wanted to stay away from that kind of scoop as I've done it before on other models. That or dual side scoops were serious contenders though and the one that is there may still get sloped back more. The upper surface is not complete at all. The dark gray is just 1 of possibly up to 4(probably 3) color camo ;D ;D
You may ,of course always make suggestions as you are freaking brilliant :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: never apologize to me
The weapons are scaleorama'd German Flakvierling 38 20mm's  :wacko: I found a cool 1/35 4 gun towed for like 6 bucks  :wub:I couldn't resist ;D
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

My brother Mouse see above for what I scaleorama'd this from .Each cannon had 20 round mags so I figure the same in 30mm :wacko:
I amuse me.

matrixone

Cool model and I really like the camouflage scheme!

Matrixone

sequoiaranger

>The dark gray is just 1 of possibly up to 4(probably 3) color camo <

Well, since you like both purple and suggestions, here's a pic of some plum cobbler just out of the oven I figured you could use as a camo pattern!!  :rolleyes:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

CPNGROATS

Plum Cobbler...!  now I'm hungry and thirsty.. :drink:

Your Texas tankbuster is looking good..!

Cheers,
ggc

Sisko

Man that scheme is great. 

I love the clouds on the underside.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

sotoolslinger

Thanks all ya'll. Big tree dude ,it's a good thing my wife made me a homemade peach cobbler last night or I would be hunting you down. That cobbler looks awesome. :wub:  Off to the paint booth.
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

And here we go
Primer gray w/glosscote

First mask

and then of course I forgot a picture. I first sprayed purple , then spread the mask and sprayed blue
Then I added masking and sprayed green

and then peel

I amuse me.