American Messerschmitt

Started by sotoolslinger, July 16, 2008, 06:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

I **LOVE** this camo and this technique!

I have to ask---is the outcome planned and predestined? Or are you "winging it", which brings about the aberrant randomness of color patches??

I know when I do an "original" camo, I have in mind a "percentage". That is, say I will imagine I want a 10% light blue, so in applying paint in "random" fashion I will pause and reflect to see if my "percentage" is being met overall, and make adjustments if necessary.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Bryan H.

It's tie-dyed! :wub:  I like the seeming randomness of your technique - groovy!  :thumbsup: Can't wait for the decals.

:cheers: Bryan 

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

CPNGROATS

s.Slinger...interesting cammo, could be a low-tech form of "stealth" , in any event it's dazzels..!! :cheers:

Cheers,
ggc

HOG

Ah  very very off rainbow.......with clouds  ;D

" grey is just grey...................(sometimes) "

H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

Thanks all ya'll .Sr, I have a definite look and pattern in mind when I begin, I also kinda use the % of color idea but alot of times it comes down to how the blutac stretches :wacko:.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Ed S

Very interesting and creative camo pattern.  Just another example of the artistry and orginality of the people here in WHIFF world.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Brian da Basher

Holy Friccoles!!! That's a fantastic camo pattern, Toolslinger! I think you take the cake when it comes to devising new, imaginative and eye-catching schemes!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

MMMMM CAKE ;D what did you expect from guys sucking on nitrous oxide .
I amuse me.

sequoiaranger

I love looking at a really thick book I have, called "Earth From Above--365 days". There were a series of them a few years back, but now I can't find any. They are pictures of places all over the world, one each day, and it is AMAZING what great patterns they find in nature or human-made. I find some camo inspiration there.  Your top camo reminds me of that book, and I looked through to find where EXACTLY your plane might best blend in. I found lots of places. Buccaneer Bay (Australia), the Bahamas, and others with a combo of sea and land came to mind. Patterns of mud huts in Tunisia, flamingoes in a marsh, etc., all have tremendous potential as camo patterns, too.

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

I've got a fever and there's only 1 cure :mellow:
I amuse me.

Damian2

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

sequoiaranger

So the sequence is:

Gray primer,

Light purple,

Blue,

Green??

It appears to me that the "gray primer" you describe is a very dark khaki, i.e. a green-brown-gray, that shows up on the final product, yes? That is, when **I** put on what I call a "primer" coat, it never enters into the camo but is underlying everything. So is your "primar grey" actually one of the four visible colors? Or are you using the word "primer" as in the meaning "first"?

I am REALLY interested in this technique and trying to see how it is done by observing the pictures. Thanks.

Here's a picture of my four-color "Alpensplatter" camo that combines "high mountain" colors on my Austrian He-151E (Edelweiss)

sotoolslinger

SequoiaRanger the darkest color on the model is actually Duplicolor grey sandable primer bought from the autoparts store

That color
I coat it with Testors Glosscote first.This stops the bluetac from sticking so much. Bluetac has a tendency to adhere to flat primer and to a lesser extent flat colors and leave residue. The glosscote eliminates this problem.Future would work also but this allows me to avoid airbrush cleaning.
Apply thick layers of bluetack where you want the gray to show.
Spray purple paint, allow to dry, then spread the bluetac out around the perimeter ,that is why you need it thick.
Spray blue paint.Now without ever taking off the mask you have 3 color camo grey with purple around the edges and blue
Now apply more masking where you want the blue to appear and spray the final color, in this case green.
Allow to dry and peel off the bluetac.
This technique will work for any camo pattern if you can apply the bluetac in the correct shape.
That is of course if the pattern requires relatively sharp but not very straight edges .
I amuse me.

sequoiaranger

Wow. Thanks.

If the Bluetac sticks to flat paints, are all the paints you are using "gloss" paints, and then you flatten everything afterwards?

Or do you glosscoat every flat coat before fiddling with the Bluetac again?

Sorry to be so pestiferous, but I **AM** interested.

I always gloss my models before applying decals, but except for certain circumstances shy away from gloss paints made flat later, as touch-up with brushing is then problematical (putting the gloss paint on, then trying to flatten it with brushed-on flattener and trying to blend in with the uniformly-sprayed flat look--the touch-ups always seem so obvious).