American Messerschmitt

Started by sotoolslinger, July 16, 2008, 06:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Actually I only did the glosscote on the sandable primer as it is a coarse finish compared to thinned out flat paints sparyed through my air rig. Experiment on a scrap piece to see how bad the bluetac will react with the paint. On this model I didn't have any problem with the flat colors. Keep in mind also that my bluetac has been used and recycled several times. The new yellow stuff you see in the pictures is considerably stiffer and stickier than my blue ,used stuff. I think it also depends a lot on the brand.
By the way ,take a look at this

I have eliminated the dept. of PS lettering and printed this up as decals. I will be using this on this model as well as new RoT roundels. :wacko:
When I get better with my photo modifying I will replace the lettering to read Republic Of Texas .
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sequoiaranger

Love it! Thanks for the bluetac tips
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sotoolslinger

Decaling begins. I got a cool image of a Texas Rangers symbol so I made it into decals.

Since by this time the Texicans are American allies I modified early US roundels

So now they look like this

Since the Rangers are now an official air wing they have the markings on the tail instead of the RoT flag
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

I like the looks of those Texicun markings with the red surround. They contrast nicely against that camo. I also like the idea of the Texas Ranger markings too but I wonder if you had a loss of detail on them due to scaling them up? The image I played with was about right for 1/72.

Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

I haven't made decals, but I have found that using a color copier to scale up an image fills in the otherwise-expanded detail in an enlarged image that would otherwise be lost. So if you have a good small image, print it out small, go to a color-copier place to enlarge it, then re-scan the larger image. You can down-scale the larger image and it will retain its detail.

You are DEFINITELY on the right track with the "Rangers" thing!!  :wub:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sotoolslinger

Actually I'm pretty sure it is a combination of crappy software, lame hardware and the paper I'm using ain't the best stuff either. :banghead:
This is a learning experience and I am doing it the hard way. :banghead:
I just applied one of the side roundels and it folded up on me and looks like hammered s. :banghead: :banghead:
I have to get a better machine, printer, software, and oh skills :banghead:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Moving forward :rolleyes:
This folded up on me and will have to be redone :banghead:

Hey the Number 23 worked out :wacko: :wacko:
The serial no.

The Rattlesnake :wub:

I amuse me.

Rafael

You can't go wrong with Texicun' stars!!! :wub: :thumbsup:

Great. Just frakking great!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Taiidantomcat

Love that snake decal! I dont know how you do it, but everything you build is unique and amazing  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sotoolslinger

Thanks Ya'll ;D :wub: Right back at ya :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

That reattlesnake is the bee's knees, Toolslinger!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Your printer settings have everything to do with the quality of the decals, too.  STS, are you going in to "Print Setup" before printing on the Testors Decal Sheets?
Their instructions are one thing but I found the best thing was to experiment using different settings my printer offered (I know: gets costly after awhile).
One thing, though: always use the "BEST" quality output your printer allows.  Then, it's mostly a matter of playing around with which "Paper Type" works best.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Being from the prehistoric age your advanced speech frightens and confuses me. ;D I'm at a disadvantage from the gitgo ....the computer I post on is different from the computer I print my decals from :banghead: :banghead:.
Anyway here is what I got accomplished today.
Redid this side

Put all the decals on the starboard side

Didn't like it

Redid it

Screened in the nose intake

And placed the lower decals
I amuse me.

Excalibur

Cool camo scheme, nice work.

Eddie M.

Your work gives me a reason to smile. ;D I really enjoy sitting back for the trip from beginning to end. :mellow:

Since you're doing it in Texas Ranger markings, I thought I'd show you our Ranger connection here in Burton. If you ever make it down here, I'll take you by to show you McNelly's grave.

Leander McNelly
http://www.texasranger.org/halloffame/McNelly_Leander.htm

His grave outside of Burton
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/Texas/IM001949.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/Texas/IM001951.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/Texas/IM001952.jpg

and as an extra, our Civil War connection in these parts
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/Texas/IM001946.jpg
Look behind you!