What-ifing a Danish Draken

Started by Tophe, July 16, 2008, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

Twin tails! Twin tails!

Quote from: Tophe on July 16, 2008, 11:57:34 AM
<...> B777LR's topic ( http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20123.0.html ) turning South-African canard a Saab Draken, <...>

Fantastic build! :thumbsup: The canards, longer nose and IFR probe look really good on a Draken!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 16, 2008, 02:19:32 PM
Twin tails! Twin tails!

He might be right about the twin tails, Tophe.  Should look good on a Draken.  Do you remember my very old "Straken" concept (even rhymes with Draken!):

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

Lots of very interesting suggestions, while... uh, I am a too bad modeller to create such things. I would need years of training cessions with Rafael, our scratchbuilding Master...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Benjo

why not canards!
Or a dorsal spine like a Mig-21/F-16D/I/F/AFTI
Being creative can be a gift - And a curse...

B777LR

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 16, 2008, 02:19:32 PM
Twin tails! Twin tails!

Quote from: Tophe on July 16, 2008, 11:57:34 AM
<...> B777LR's topic ( http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20123.0.html ) turning South-African canard a Saab Draken, <...>

Fantastic build! :thumbsup: The canards, longer nose and IFR probe look really good on a Draken!

Weaver

On the subject of twin tails and deltas, I've always though the logical setup would be vertical tails at mid-span (at the inner/outer break on the Draken/F-16XL), which extend significantly below the wing and have a very swept trailing edge and rudder hinge-line. Why? Because at high AoAs, directional stability is a big issue: the lower part of the fins would be in clean airflow, and as the nose came up, more of the rudder would drop out of the "shadow" of the wing.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

cthulhu77

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Weaver on November 17, 2008, 05:08:05 AM
On the subject of twin tails and deltas, I've always though the logical setup would be vertical tails at mid-span (at the inner/outer break on the Draken/F-16XL), <...>

That's just what I intend to do with my twin-tail Draken! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sotoolslinger

Dammit now I have to buy another Draken :banghead: ;D :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

TsrJoe

i recall seeing a twin engined draken online on another forum...looked pretty sweet too

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Tophe

Quote from: TsrJoe on November 19, 2008, 05:11:23 AM
i recall seeing a twin engined draken online on another forum...looked pretty sweet too
cheers, Joe
I've made one (somehow) with Corel Photopaint, on my site
http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/fake_aircraft.htm

Tophe

I have received the paint and started cutting. This will be finished in July probably.

Tophe

Cut and painted, completion scheduled next week:

sideshowbob9

Great idea! Looking forward to seeing it in the "flesh"  :thumbsup:

Tophe