Gunship ideas

Started by philp, July 19, 2008, 10:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

It would also depend on where the weapon was sited.  Back towards the rear of the cabin, out of a door for instance would be optimal whilst nearer the cockpit, hindered by the wings would not be so.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

That'd make a great Dogfight Double display: problem would be convincing people it wasn't a whiff....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kengeorge

Evening Everyone,
    Just thought I'd stick my head above the wall & join in. I've got a book by Mark Berent called 'Eagle Station' which uses Lima site 85 as the backdrop for his novel & includes an attack by an An-2 on the site.
    Wondered if anyone was interested.

KenGeorge

Sauragnmon

I gotta give the VPAF a bit of props for the inventive nature of converting the AN-2 into a strike craft.  120 mortar rounds, waist guns, and rocket pods... its pretty damn creative I say.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

dy031101

That would make me think of a revival of Credible Chase and PAVE COIN armed with Hellfire and/or...... maybe even AASM-like powered bombs?

A bit like this one, except maybe with the addition of gun(s) firing out of the side door:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/photos/2010/11/iraqi_air_force_fires_hellfire.php

http://flyingthecessnacaravan.blogspot.com/2009/11/ac-208-combat-caravans-more-photos.html
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Maverick

I expect Credible Chase, et al have their place within low-intensity environments.  Given the plethora of MANPADs these days, one wonders about that value now though.  A Caravan or An-2 doodling along seems an awfully tempting target for any number of shoulder-fired SAMs or even heavy MGs.

Regards,

Mav

dy031101

Quote from: Maverick on September 05, 2011, 07:59:44 PM
Given the plethora of MANPADs these days, one wonders about that value now though.  A Caravan or An-2 doodling along seems an awfully tempting target for any number of shoulder-fired SAMs or even heavy MGs.

I'd think of missiles as the primary weapon far more than the door gun.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

rickshaw

Quote from: Maverick on September 05, 2011, 07:59:44 PM
I expect Credible Chase, et al have their place within low-intensity environments.  Given the plethora of MANPADs these days, one wonders about that value now though.  A Caravan or An-2 doodling along seems an awfully tempting target for any number of shoulder-fired SAMs or even heavy MGs.

Regards,

Mav

Mmm, I think "plethora" is over-egging the case, Mav.  Considering supposedly how plentiful these weapons are, according to some, they appear to be having little real effect on the battlefield.  Just as the US government and military rather tended to over-sell their claims about supposedly the Stinger had cleared the skies of Soviet aicraft in Afghanistan (despite downing so few aircraft), I think that while there are a smattering of MANPADS around, their effect is more in the telling than the doing.  Yes, they do represent a danger but even so, their effectiveness, particularly in the hands of the Taliban has been rather low as well.

BTW, any aircraft is vulnerable to HMGs, particularly if you fly so low the HMGs can reach you.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

My inference was that there were plenty of the things about, rather than the number of systems in production.  I'd suggest that a loss from one of them is rather indicative of their effectiveness rather than their lack of it.  Otherwise there'd be missiles zooming about the place without real effect.  I don't believe this was the case.

As for HMG effect against aircraft, one would assume that light aircraft of this type would be 'more likely' to be flying at lower altitudes when operational, rather than at safer altitudes.  In Vietnam, for instance, helicopters flew at 'safe' altitudes when transiting areas to avoid this threat, but going above the HMG envelope had the risk of heavier anti-air systems being brought into play.

At the end of the day, these platforms are designed as 'austere' rather than a 'bells & whistles' approach which tends to suggest that the systems they would employ would be somewhat less capable than those of dedicated strike aircraft.  Whilst they might very well depend on a Hellfire type weapon as their main offensive system, their design doesn't allow a great combat persistence as a result.  Either they'd shoot their load (quite literally) or have to employ other weapons.

With the continual improvements of various anti-air systems, to suggest that a Caravan or Colt modified in this way would be a 'safe' platform within a hostile air environment would be risky at the very least.

Regards,

Mav

James

I've got an Airfix 1/72 Fokker F27 that I'm thinking of turning into a Royal Yorkshire Air Force gunship for patrolling the Lancashire border. An Airspeed design I think. Planning on eventually doing an RAF gunship Rotodyne... attack/light transport/medevac – like a Mi-24.

There is also my RAF maritime Halifax with 4x .50cals and a 75mm gun in the nose that is still on the bench... a kind of gunship.   

PR19_Kit

Quote from: James on September 08, 2011, 06:55:08 AM
There is also my RAF maritime Halifax with 4x .50cals and a 75mm gun in the nose that is still on the bench... a kind of gunship.   

Not so much a gunship more a gunfortress!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: Maverick on September 06, 2011, 01:16:07 AM

With the continual improvements of various anti-air systems, to suggest that a Caravan or Colt modified in this way would be a 'safe' platform within a hostile air environment would be risky at the very least.

Regards,

Mav
Bring back the Skyraider?  With a T-56 in the nose.  Lots of armor plate, guns, bombs and rockets...and loiter time
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Joe C-P

Quote from: FAR148 on August 29, 2011, 06:42:51 PM
Here's an idea that has been in my head for some time now, a UAV helicopter as a gunship. Something like a MQ-8 Fire Scout armed with just a laser/optical guided gyro stabilized M61 Vulcan. To be used for CAS in the urban environment.  :wacko:
Steven ;D

You mean an updated version of the QH-50.

http://www.gyrodynehelicopters.com/qh-50d1.htm

Everything old is new again.  ;)
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

James

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 08, 2011, 11:26:48 AM
Quote from: James on September 08, 2011, 06:55:08 AM
There is also my RAF maritime Halifax with 4x .50cals and a 75mm gun in the nose that is still on the bench… a kind of gunship.   

Not so much a gunship more a gunfortress!

:wacko: I was thinking of putting two turrets in place of the bomb bay - a 4x .50cal turret and a 2x 20 or 40mm turret. I’d keep the bomb cells in the wings and place depth charges on pylons between the engines. Tip tanks as well. :thumbsup:

Lets go U-boat hunting!

McColm

If you choose the 1/72 Mach2 A.W. Argosy to convert into a gunship, would you use the AC-119 layout or go for the AC-130?
Found the wings, engines and tail boom from an Academy C-119 Flying Boxcar to use with the Mach2 kit.