Gunship ideas

Started by philp, July 19, 2008, 10:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

you could get away without using twin boom for the recoilless... you'd just have to build an accomodating shielded ventilation duct for the backblast from the recoilless gun design.  If you set it up to be able to accomodate the blast and vent it safely away from the rest of the fuselage, it should be fine.

Granted your rocket artillery comment just made me think of some whacknut making a Flying Smerch, with part of the rocket setup suspended under some aircraft or another.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Mossie

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on September 18, 2008, 02:29:38 PM
Just been working my way thru this thread, and can't seem to find the 'other' obvious British 'could have beens'

SA Twin Pioneer 'A twinpin with attitude' - Malaya/Kenya/Aden ToO

and of course....

The Rotodyne.....  :wub: - I'm sure somebody here was prepping a gunship Rotodyne a couple of years back, dont recall it being finished tho.

Ian

Hmm, a Percival Sea Prince or Pembroke might look good too.  Special Hobby did the Pembroke recentley in 1/72.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Mossie on September 18, 2008, 03:18:19 PM
Hmm, a Percival Sea Prince or Pembroke might look good too.  Special Hobby did the Pembroke recentley in 1/72.

Good call, Simon..... sort of 'Gunship Lite' project, would easily accomodate a couple miniguns or .50cals, can see it flying along the Czech, E German border looking for trouble. Apparently that SH kit is very nice..... so you'll be picking-one-up at Telford, yes ? ;D

Hey forgot to mention the other British contender...... The AW Argosy, now that could really ruin someones' day !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Hadn't thought of that, might just! :thumbsup:

There's also this old girl as well, maybe a gunship in Malaya, although the phrase 'cannon fodder' comes to mind!  Just wish I could stretch the kitty to buy the Magna kit.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on September 21, 2008, 05:41:59 AM
Hadn't thought of that, might just! :thumbsup:

There's also this old girl as well, maybe a gunship in Malaya, although the phrase 'cannon fodder' comes to mind!  Just wish I could stretch the kitty to buy the Magna kit.

She'd need to have more than one row of guns and be painted like a Ship of The Line.  ;D

Jon

bluedonkey99

welsh models have a vac-form Argosy in 1/144 for only £15, a fair bit cheaper than that magna kit!!?

although, you would probably need the patience of a saint to build it!?

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/SL71V.html
http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/Skyliner.html

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 21, 2008, 10:57:10 AM
She'd need to have more than one row of guns and be painted like a Ship of The Line.  ;D

Jon

The Victory would probably be more aerodynamic that the Beverley!!!  Be a good one for the pirate build, the RN's answer to pirate aircraft! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Weaver

Could've sworn someone had already suggested this, but I can't find it, so:

How about flying boat gunships?

It was the Heller CL-415 that got me thinking, but how about others? A Sunderland could have two rows of gun ports like the Beverly...... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

My current desktop wallpaper is the image below.

And I was just thinking about a row of guns along where the side windows are, or a couple of big turrets (one on each "cheek", plus two along the top of the fuselage and one in the tail), or even some Ekranoplan-style cruise missile tubes along the top. :lol:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

There was a land plane variant proposed too, might make a gunship itself:

Joe C-P

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on September 18, 2008, 02:29:38 PM

The Rotodyne.....  :wub: - I'm sure somebody here was prepping a gunship Rotodyne a couple of years back, dont recall it being finished tho.

I'm planning a USMC assault version of the Rotodyne, once I finally finish my RN COD Rotodyne.
Chin turret, window mounted guns, and a tail-ramp mount.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

GTX

More on the AC-27J here

Of course this brings up other possibilities too - what about a AC-295 based on this:

And whilst on the theme of European based gunships, what about an AA-400M based on this:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Another idea - what about a gunship Zeppelin in WWI?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

frank2056

Quote from: GTX on October 04, 2008, 12:16:38 PM
Another idea - what about a gunship Zeppelin in WWI?

Regards,

Greg

People who live in hydrogen filled gas bags should not shoot at people that can shoot back.

dy031101

Yeah, people might want to wait until zeppelins start flying on helium......

Does anyone have picture of the airship Goliath in Hayao Miyazaki's Laputa: the Castle in the Sky?

If my memory serves me, it has quite an array of twin turrets for bombardment and water-cooled machineguns for air defense (because in the anime's universe small aircraft appear to be limited to sky pirates, who tended to possess neither the firepower to arm the small craft nor the number to overwhelm anything capable of putting up defenses).
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here