Gunship ideas

Started by philp, July 19, 2008, 10:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

what about an Avro York

raafif

Quote from: GTX on October 04, 2008, 12:16:38 PM
Another idea - what about a gunship Zeppelin in WWI?

Regards,
Greg

-- well, you need to armour it like the Russian idea but with much heavier plate  :rolleyes:
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

The ZMC-2 was an airship which was made of metal:

However, its envelope would have been still very thin and offered little resistance to a rifle bullet.

What you need is either a cloth or metal armour many times harder than the equivalent in steel.

Perhaps if glass-cloth and nylon or even more exotically, carbon-fibre had been invented earlier?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

If the RAF had been involved in Vietnam, what might they have used as a gunship? Yes I know that in all likelihood they'd have bought the USAF types, but where's the fun in that?

Possibilities and limitations:

HP Hastings (no kit AFAIK)
HS748/Andover (Vacform 1/144th kit only)
HP Herald (no kit AFAIK)
DH Heron (bit small and old, but possible, and Airfix kit available)
Skyvan (been done to death)
Argosy (Vacform 1/144th kit only)

Hmmmm - not easy, is it?  :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on March 05, 2011, 10:21:26 AM
HP Hastings (no kit AFAIK)
HS748/Andover (Vacform 1/144th kit only)
HP Herald (no kit AFAIK)
Argosy (Vacform 1/144th kit only)

In 1/72
Hastings was done by Formaplane and Aircraft in Miniature, can be found on eBay
Andover was done by the same people, now done by Rugrats
Herald done by Frog and any Frog Spawn
Argosy done by Magna and Transport Wings [Aircraft in Miniature] (different versions)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

I built a Handley Page Dart Herald not so long back in 1/72nd scale it is a copy of a Frog kit I think, and is boxed/made by Maquette.
Looking at it, a gunship version is possible as there is a big loading door at the rear, and the wing is high so you could poke some hardware out of the windows too.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

Quote from: chrisonord on March 05, 2011, 11:04:47 AM
I built a Handley Page Dart Herald not so long back in 1/72nd scale it is a copy of a Frog kit I think, and is boxed/made by Maquette.
Looking at it, a gunship version is possible as there is a big loading door at the rear, and the wing is high so you could poke some hardware out of the windows too.
Chris.

Doh! So you did... :banghead:

That's a very likely candidate then - cheers! In size/performance terms, the Herald is almost perfectly a high-wing 748. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

apophenia

How about an updated Herald sans Darts? Go back to four smaller engines (PT6As?) with multi-bladed props for stealthier approaches.

Weaver

Quote from: apophenia on March 05, 2011, 03:21:45 PM
How about an updated Herald sans Darts? Go back to four smaller engines (PT6As?) with multi-bladed props for stealthier approaches.

Interesting idea: the original Herald had four Alvis Leonides radials, so that could be an alternative development path.

- Indiana Jones

tigercat

What about something from the DHC stable as a gunship.

How about a Twin Otter

Weaver

A BN Islander would make an interesting light gunship, and would be very easy to kit out with all those side doors.

BTW, the ex-FROG Herald was also available from Eastern Express.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 29, 2008, 05:08:59 PM
What about a Bristol Freighter? Malaysian timeline!

Knew somebody had mentioned it. You could get a progression going here: Bristol Freighters are used in Malaysia then put back to transport configuration once it's over. When Britain gets involved in Vietnam, they're hastily re-converted and show their worth, but by now they're out of production and the Hercules (engine) is getting long in the tooth, so they start shopping for a replacement. A turbo-Freighter is mooted, but the RAF order is only for a few and Bristol can't see a civvie market for the now-obsolete transport configuration, so it doesn't happen and Herald is chosen instead, thereby giving a boost to strugging Handley Page.

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Not quite a gunship but I've a stalled project involving a Percival Protor and several Bren or Vickers K guns - do I win £5?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic