SPAAS Thread

Started by GTX, July 20, 2008, 08:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Okay, I won't get into the arguments of wether we'll ever see them or not, but I'd say the Metal Storm technology was pretty well suited to a SPAAS, when the idea is to put as much lead into the air as quickly possible?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Sauragnmon

Metalstorm for an AA gun... nah I don't see Metal Storm for an AA, more as a CIWS.  Insane volume of fire, AKA the "ZOMGMOSKIT" response.  Sometimes, you just need a lot of lead in the air, and a fragmentation charge on the side of the ship just won't do.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

MAD

Quote from: Mossie on July 22, 2008, 03:45:20 AM

There is a tracked version of Rapier, on a lighter chassis than a Chieftain.  I guess you could mount it on a tank chassis if you wanted to carry more rounds or a beefier radar system, but Tracked Rapier is more mobile & can fit in the back of a Herc.

I like the compact simplicity of the Tracked Rapier (ET.316 project) arrangement!

Is the Tracked Rapier still in British service?
(Probably not – given the flick at the end of the Cold War - most likely as a cost saving measure!!)

I would like to see the Tracked Rapier's missile/radar 360-degree pedestal mounting arrangement put on a modified M270 MLRS chassis, in place of its original slow speed and cramped condition chassis, which was based on the US M548 tracked carrier.
Add a 30mm cannon to the pedestal mount to supplement the missile only arrangement!

M.A.D

Mossie

I don't think so.  The Alvis Stormer armed with Starstreak is the British Army's current missile carrier.  Knowing the ususual policy of the MOD is to get as much life out of a platform as possible, I wouldn't be suprised if there are a few around in secondary or training roles.  It was pretty slow cross country as far as I'm aware, part of the reason for replacing it with the Stormer.  Rapier is still fielded in it's FSC version.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

uk 75

Love the idea of a thread for SPAAs.

Here are my favourite what-if 60s systems

MAULER   (check out the pdf history of this system on the US Air Artillery site
               or similar, sorry I think its the US Army school at Fort, I'll check))

The ultimate tracked missile and radar system on the M113 or M551 chassis.
Britain and Germany were also interested, so FV432/Stalwart or Marder based versions

PT428    A whole chapter on this British Mauler/Rapier precursor is in the excellent
            British Secret Projects volume on Hypersonics etc

Vigilante   A large US Gatling gun on an M113 tracked chassis.  A later/larger
              version could have been mounted on the MBT 70, which was also
              proposed in the 60s for the German Army's requirement, later
              built as the Gepard

I'll try and find some links to websites, but books are the main source.

UK 75

MAD

I can not say that I have heard of he PT428 SAM system!
Looking forward to anything you can post on this project

M.A.D

GTX

Some mindless play:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

tanktastic43

Re: mindless play. FANTASTIC!!  :wub:
nice one Greg.  :thumbsup:

Sauragnmon

Interesting idea there Greg.  That a Gepard turret, or Marksman?  Either way, it's the Diet version.  Looking cool!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

How about a Gepard turret on a Luchs 8x8 chassis?  :wacko: Fuchs 6x6 might be too small.

Like this Tunguska on a BTR-80 chassis.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

Gepard on a Marder might look cool too.

Tungusaka on a T-55 or T-64 chassis?

ooo... Goalkeeper on a Challenger.

Kashtan on a T-72 might look wicked too, though you'd have to disable the missile reload system or redesign it.

dy031101

The idea about SPAAS based on tracked carriers reminded me that I'm constantly thinking about various AA gun and missile (including combos like Tungusaka) systems becoming shelter-mounted and carried by M977 or M985 HEMTT......

Is there a kit for the 55mm/L77 Gerät 58 cannon?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Mossie

I've mentioned it before, but I've thought of mounting a Gepard turret on the Faun Elefant & armouring the cab.  It would be a German SPAAG version of the Czech Dana/Zuzana Self Propelled Howitzer, which is itself an armored version of the Tatra 8x8 truck.  Getting away from this thread, you could also mount a PzH 2000 turret for the same role.  My idea was that although less mobile over terrain, it could deploy very quickly via Germany's extensive road network.  This is a simiar reasoning behind the Dana IIRC.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Mossie on November 23, 2008, 05:54:50 AM
<....> Getting away from this thread, you could also mount a PzH 2000 turret for the same role. <...>

KMW offer the so-called ARTILLERY GUN MODULE, which is made up of components of the PzH 2000.
Here it is mounted on a MARS(MLRS) chassis.

There's also the DONAR, whose chassis seems to incorporate Leopard-parts.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?