SPAAS Thread

Started by GTX, July 20, 2008, 08:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apophenia

My guess is that ATK's marketing folks have made all this intentionally confusing. The '50' in 35/50, for example, refers to the barrel length in calibres not specifically to the Super Shot option. ATK plays the designation both ways as a marketing gambit.

NARSES2

Quote from: Jschmus on December 30, 2009, 11:29:12 AM
  For all of my interest in militaria, a lot of this gun stuff is over my head.

You and me both, but it's interesting stuff  :thumbsup: And the beauty of this site is you can ask the questions that help you understand  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

Well, you learn new things every day - I only just found out that the Gepard can be upgraded to have stinger missiles as well:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

Only a relatively late modification, I think you'll find.  Personally, I'd have preferred RBS-70 (longer range, heavier warhead) but Stinger has minimal requirement for guidance systems so you can basically just put the thing on almost anything without too much trouble as far as systems integration goes.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 19, 2010, 07:15:32 PM
Only a relatively late modification, I think you'll find.  Personally, I'd have preferred RBS-70 (longer range, heavier warhead) but Stinger has minimal requirement for guidance systems so you can basically just put the thing on almost anything without too much trouble as far as systems integration goes.

Not to mention head-on engagement of low IR targets too. The same can be said of Starstreak too, of course.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 23, 2008, 02:41:48 AM
How about a Gepard turret on a Luchs 8x8 chassis?  :wacko: Fuchs 6x6 might be too small.

You might think that, but they did it in real life (well close - it has 30mm cannon rather than 35mm) - I give you the Wildcat SPAAG:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Ancestor of the M247 Sergeant York DIVAD (Division Air Defense) SPAAG?

The Bofors TEAK proposal:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

I'm sure the Flakpanzer IV Kugelblitz is one of those favourite SPAAGs from WWII.  Ever wonder how the turret arrangement was to be:

Well look here:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

And before that there was a proposal for a SPAAG with for 30mm cannon - the Destroyer 45 concept:

Regards,

Greg

MAD

Quote from: GTX on March 05, 2010, 02:38:47 PM
Ancestor of the M247 Sergeant York DIVAD (Division Air Defense) SPAAG?

The Bofors TEAK proposal:

Regards,

Greg

Again my mouth is watering Greg with this find!!
What chassis is TEAK based on in the drawings? Leopard 1?
Isn't it ironic and sad that the Swedish designed this TEAK system, and yet the US Army tried to re write the book and waisted so much time, money and effort to develop their own failed M247 Sergeant York DIVAD

M.A.D

rickshaw

All part of the NIH syndrome the US suffered from for many years (Oh, and the terrible pork-barrelling disease as well).   Just look at what they did to the Roland SAM system.  First they adopted it, then had to re-engineer it, find a new chassis to put it on and then quietly forgot all about it as fast as they could 'cause it wasn't American, despite having a need for a mobile SAM system and then reformulating the requirement which the Roland filled very nicely as the NLOS (Non-Line-of-Sight-System) SAM.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What interests me about the TEAK system is the size of the APU.  It must have had a hell of a power draw to make such a large APU worthwhile (but then, so did the Gepard).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

QuoteWhat chassis is TEAK based on in the drawings? Leopard 1?

Yep - Leo 1.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote from: rickshaw on March 05, 2010, 07:22:08 PM
All part of the NIH syndrome the US suffered from for many years (Oh, and the terrible pork-barrelling disease as well).   Just look at what they did to the Roland SAM system.  First they adopted it, then had to re-engineer it, find a new chassis to put it on and then quietly forgot all about it as fast as they could 'cause it wasn't American, despite having a need for a mobile SAM system and then reformulating the requirement which the Roland filled very nicely as the NLOS (Non-Line-of-Sight-System) SAM.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well the USA is hardly alone in that case - look how many times here in Australia we have gone through the 'Australianizing' process only to get marginal, if any improvements.  I think you will find a variation of this in most developed countries.  And arguably it isn't necessary always a bad thing - without such programs, industrial participation in many countries would be virtually nil and many people (including a few here) would be out of jobs.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Some more proposals:

Twin 35mm cannon on a IFV Chassis:

and a 'little brother' to the Matador SPAAG - the Anti-Aircraft Command/Surveillance Tank:

Regards,

Greg

apophenia

Quote from: GTX on March 06, 2010, 11:10:56 AM
Twin 35mm cannon on a IFV Chassis

Whoa, nice one Greg! That hull became the Spz Tornado (so the same thing would work on a Spz Marder hull).

You may want ot stick your find on the Secret Projects Mowag Tornado thread:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8817.0.html