USMC F10-S Spitfire-finished

Started by AeroplaneDriver, July 23, 2008, 09:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

That's the one I saw.  Very nice scheme on a WWII prop.

But, the decision was finaly made after much eliberation, and I decided to go with something I hadnt even thought about.  It will be a desertish scheme.  The backstory involves the western Allies, plus Germany agreeing to push the USSR out of Germany in 1946.  Though this push succeeds in pushing the Soviets out of Germany they respond by advancing towards the oil fields of Iraq.  Britain reinforces the units in Iraq, inlcuding Spitfire Mk.14s, which enter the theater wearing a new scheme of medium sea gray and tan over azure blue. 

I wanted to do something similar to the Flashman-like scheme I put on my RAF SU25 a few months ago, but I didnt want it to look as modern, so I went with Azure Blue for the undersides.  I may go with SEAC roundels, with the explanation that the red circle in the standard roundel may be mistaken for a Soviet Red Star in the heat of battle.  Still not sure about that though.

The gray and blue are on, and hopefully the tan will go on later tonight.  Pics soon.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Chap

Sounds very promising AD! :thumbsup:

~Steve

AeroplaneDriver

No updates for a few days because this didnt go as planned.  I like to think I have a fairly good eye for schemes, and when I started putting the tan on this one it jsut didnt look right.  So I thought about it for a few days and started again.

So after an afternoon of work it is completely repainted and most of the decals are on.  It went from RAF service in Iraq in 1946 to a USMC airfield defence interceptor role in the Pacific in late 1945 as the allies prepare to invade Japan following the unsucessfull atomic bomb mission agianst Hiroshima.

Pics tomorrow!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 27, 2008, 10:39:30 PM
Pics tomorrow!

(Assumes Jewish Mother voice) - Always with you, it's tomorrow.......

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

AeroplaneDriver

Well she's done.  I cant say I'm completely happy with it.  Putting so much paint on really had a negative effect on the nice Academy panel lines, but at least it's finished.

Not much of a backstroy either other than what I already wrote; a USMC F10S Spitfire serving in the airfield defence role in the buildup to the allied invasion of Japan in late 1945.

AeroplaneDriver

Duhh....just realised the canopy is not on in these pics!  It must have popped off at some point before taking the pics.  Fortunately it popped off on the bench and is now resting comfortably in its proper place.  :lol:

Brian da Basher

Looks great, AD! Very plausible and the shark's mouth is a nice touch! I bet you could fool a few people with this "Devil Dog" Spitfire!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

Nick, I'm always amazed about how quickly you get a kit done & make a damn good job of it.  I know your not that happy with it, but to me it looks great & I'm aspiring to finishing my kits to look as good as yours.

The Spit looks good in dark blue.  I did a real world blue Malta Spitfire (one of the aircraft that flew from USS Wasp) some years back as one of my few forays into 1/48, not a patch on yours!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

comrade harps

That's beautiful. Always liked the US markings on the overall blue, a nice design cooly carried off there on a Spit.  :wub:
Whatever.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

need a close-up of that shark-mouth, Nick.....

Nice wee model, beautifully carried-off.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

Really good looking ;D :wub:Well you know if your unhappy with the way it turned out you'll just have to build another one :wacko:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Mossie on July 29, 2008, 01:34:18 AM
I know you are not that happy with it, but to me it looks great ...

To me, it looks perfect
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
:bow: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

nev

That looks really nice Nick, and most of all very plausible.  It just "looks right".  Would probly fool quite a few non-experten.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

pyro-manic

Gorgeous job, AD! It looks really good in that scheme. I may have to get a couple of those kits myself...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<