USMC F10-S Spitfire-finished

Started by AeroplaneDriver, July 23, 2008, 09:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Since it's my birthday tomorrow (or technically today since it's after midnight here now) I decided to, and was given clearance to, give myself a nice day of modeling.  For my birthday quickie build I decided to take a break from pointy, firebreathing things to give a little time to the Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built; a Griffon-engined Spit. 

I dont have a teardrop canopy version in the stash yet, but I've got a couple of Mk.14s.  I decided on the Acedamy one over Fujimi by tossing a coin (really, I did). 

So far I've painted the interior pieces, plus the gear wells and other areas that will be green chromate. 

Still not sure how I will whif this one.  I toyed with the idea of a turboprop conversion, probably serving in Malaysia or Vietnam, but decided against it in part because I want a nice easy build, and partly because I dont feel like I can do the mod without ruining a lot of the lovely surface detail on the kit.  This is still on my 'to-do' list, maybe if I get an Airfix 1/48 Mk.24...

So once the decision was made to make it a paint & decal only whif, I've narrowed it down to about 4 different schemes/operators.  More on them as the build progreses.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

K5054NZ

*cough* Post-war RNZAF! *cough*

Awesome Nick! Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out - and happy birthday in advance!  :cheers: :party:

BTW wait for the rivet-counting to begin on this kit.....I'm sure its only moments away  :rolleyes:

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: K5054NZ on July 23, 2008, 11:27:26 PM

BTW wait for the rivet-counting to begin on this kit.....I'm sure its only moments away  :rolleyes:

And I couldnt give a toss.  I think it looks nice and it's going together well, so I'm happy with it!

AeroplaneDriver

Done for tonight...

The little Spit Pit is together and in the fuselage.  I may glue the fuselage up before I call it quits tonight so it can dry overnight.

It's all OOB except for tape belts and the cushion (chute pack?) made from a little bit of blu-tac.  The little bits of fluff and fuz have been taken care of.

nev

Awesome 'pit

May I suggest post-war Indian in NMF?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Brian da Basher

Many happy returns on your special day, Nick!
:party:  :cheers: :drink: :party: :cheers: :drink: :party:
That 'pit is looking every bit the winner!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Damian2

:party: :party: :party:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICK!!!!

After seeing the USAAF Spit on BritMod you should so a post war USAF machine, perhaps one fighting in Korea?

D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Mike Wren

Mossie

Nice work on the pit so far.  Intrigued about the four schemes you've got in mind, but like the rest I'm going to throw my own into the bag!

El Salvador or Honduras, 1969 Football War
Finland, never operated the Spit
Biafran, supplied by Rhodesia

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 24, 2008, 12:09:03 AM
Quote from: K5054NZ on July 23, 2008, 11:27:26 PM

And I couldnt give a toss.  I think it looks nice and it's going together well, so I'm happy with it!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AeroplaneDriver

The USAAF Spit on BM is what prompted me to do a Spit to be honest.  At first I was thinking of a USAAF build, but decided not to since one had been posted do recently (love yours too Mike!). 

The four I'm tryingto decide between are:

1.  RAF Arctic Camo-RAF '46 scenario with the US/UK pushing back the Soviets after teh German surrender.

2.  USMC-Blue island hopping Pacific fighter

3.  Postwar Irish Air Corps

4.  ETPS, for the Profiles GB, using this profile by Jennings:

Taiidantomcat

Great ideas, Happy Birthday!! :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

kitbasher

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 24, 2008, 08:41:37 AM

Raspberry ripple Spit (ugh, that doesn't sound right - still, must be more appetising that Stooltingler's bottom chewing threats!) gets my vote, either ETPS (which tends only to operate two-seater combat types) or A&AEE - after all Spits were tested at Boscombe Down and the nearby High Post.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

AeroplaneDriver

No pics to update with, but major construction is about complete.  This is an easy kit to put together quickly, but it took more PSR than I expected.  The seam along the top center of the cowling didnt do to well, but a touch of CA and a swipe of White-Out took care of it.  Same for the lower aft fuselage seam.  Getting the wing on took a bit more effort.  Fit left a little to be desired.  Not terrible, but far from perfect.  Squadron Green is drying right now.

The clear parts are masked and the gear is painted up, so once I finish the PSR routine I can start painting.  Still not sure about the scheme, but the voices will reveal their will in all due time.

sotoolslinger

Love the Spit , bigger the engine , more I love em . I'd like to see the blue scheme  with US markings.  :wub: Are you talking solid blue or the light bottom, intermediate color then dark blue scheme?
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 24, 2008, 01:59:44 PM
Love the Spit , bigger the engine , more I love em . I'd like to see the blue scheme  with US markings.  :wub: Are you talking solid blue or the light bottom, intermediate color then dark blue scheme?

I've thought about both schemes for a USMC version.  Both are still on the table as options really.