Terry's Banshee WIP

Started by Radish, July 28, 2008, 03:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Last Friday evening at Mercia Club's meeting, Terry Marriott brought along a finished, rather nice "update" using the awful Testors F2H-2 Banshee as a starting point. He's made a cracking job of it, in real markings of course, but as I've one in my stash, I started mine today.
It'll be whiffed of course, as I'm fecked if I'm scratchbuilding a cockpit, wheel well and numerous other details.
So....it'll either be a McDonnell F-83B.....or an Irish production Mick Donnell "Banshee Mk.2"

Possible schemes are:

Irish Air Corps, possibly on UN duties?
USAF in Korea?
Dutch?
Spanish?
Israeli?

No decisions yet. :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Archangel

I could see one for Australia armed with 4-8  19 shot rocket pods and each one of the rockets armed with flechett warheads. That would keep Charlies head down during the Vietnam war. It would make a good CAS/FAC airplane.

jcf

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on July 28, 2008, 06:13:11 PM
Sad that no one has bothered to consider producing a reasonably priced injection molded F2H Banshee in 1/48th scale. 

You are right about that old Hawk/Testor's kit, it was a real piece of work.  Having seen the contents of the 1/48th scale Collectaire Banshee kit in person as well as the price tag, I would really prefer to see it in injection molded plastic.  Maybe Monogram will be inspired to release the kit some day as a companion to their F9F Panther. 

Odd that a major Navy fighter-bomber of the Korean War has had so little interest in the modeling community.  I imagine there would be a good bit of business for a 1/48th scale Banjo in RCN markings if it were offered. 

The Banshee was on AMTech's very optimistic planned release list.

Perhaps Hoobycraft will do it in 1/48th.  :wacko:

Jon

Aircav

Terry, what about doing it Bundesmarine or Kon marine ? ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Radish

Mmmmmm....Navy, eh?

Dutch or German?

Sky/Grey or White/Grey??

Questions??????

jcf

Quote from: Radish on July 29, 2008, 11:42:36 AM
Mmmmmm....Navy, eh?

Dutch or German?

Sky/Grey or White/Grey??

Questions??????
Neither,
Independent Greater Frisia.  ;D ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisia#Kingdom_of_Frisia

Jon

Radish

Well the awful 1/48th Testors F2H-2 is to be rebuilt as a USMC Goodyear F3G-2B, as used during the post-Korean War invasion of Communist China.
Circa 1954....well my model is from then. The actual invasion began in 1953.
I've donated a seat from an old smashed-up Sabre, painted the interior black (as the apperture for the seat is fairly small, and painted the wing innersurfaces black too, to restrict the see-through look, which'll be further restricted by intake blanking plates. Under inner-wing bombs from the kit, but outer-wing HVARs from a T-33.
It'll be Sea Blue gloss, with a number of modifications/additions to the kit to hint at development by Goodyear.
The idea is for people to see it and say "Ah, a 1/48th Banshee!", but then find out it it...but it isn't!
Not sure of markings yet, but I should have plenty in the stash.
I'll take it to Mercia to put alongside marriott's REAL one. It'll appear on the Mercia stand at Telford :tornado:

Geoff

I did a Luftwaffe Banshee, and one for the "Fatherland" build (a GB of one! ;-) ).

Radish

The F2H-2B had supposed nuclear capability, but it'd be a close-run thing for the pilot.
Anyway, my F3G-2B proceeds, and I should finish the actual building of it today.
Let me say it's dreadful and needs an awful lot of filler. But it'll be fun.

I reckon I'll do a German one too at some point, again in China, but in the Gull Grey/White scheme, overpainted in RLM 81 to give a disruptive pattern. Yellow theatre markings, rudder, etc..
And the Dutch? Gotta have a Dutch one!! These'll probably use the Academy 1/72nd kit.

My other 1/48th Banshee could well end up in Aussie colours :wacko:

Radish

A RN Banshee is a likely possibility in 1/72nd, but this'll be USMC.
If you're at Elscar on Wednesday, Geoff, it'll be there. I've printed the "text, back story" and it'll be primed in black this afternoon, once the inteke-blanking tissue has dried.
This'll be truly dirty, faded and DIRTY. :mellow:

Geoff

Radish

All sprayed now after drilling a hole for the pitot and adding a pin, then blanking off the intakes with white glue-soaked tissue.
Painting the basecoat dark blue tomorrow :wacko:

Radish

The story......

CHINA IN YOUR HAND
The extension of the Korean War into a full United Nations invasion of Communist China in 1953 saw an enormous increase in the demand for aircraft to fill the new and enlarged air forces of United Nations participate countries.
Although the United States led the way, there were increasing numbers of aircraft of many different types and colours serving in the China theatre.
This F3G-2B Banshee is licence-produced by Goodyear, with slight modifications to improve its ground attack potential. It serves with VMFA-247 "Wildcats", USMC, and sports the older colour scheme of Sea Blue Gloss, here heavily weathered and worn to a matt and faded appearance. Loaded with bombs and HVARs, it's ready to "rock and roll." :lol:

Radish

Base coat done and dried overnight....now the fun begins!
Hoping to apply decals Wednesday morning and have it done by Wednesday pm. :thumbsup:

Radish

Done buggar all to it today as I was out very late "rocking" last night, had to pick daughter/granddaughter up, do chores, etc., and catch up on sleep. So tomorrow I'm hiding away from all fecking relatives until I've finished painting.