Main Menu

Fix The Flaws Group-Build

Started by John Howling Mouse, August 01, 2008, 08:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Whenever I read books on aircraft development (okay, whenever I read the photo captions), I notice how often the writers recall the faults and failings of various aircraft.  This airplane was underpowered; that one was lacking in armament, another had superb handling but terrible visibility, etc.  Many experts will suggest that a given aircraft only needed this or that tweaked which could have lead it to being a success (or even more of a success in the case of some).

I'm sure the same thing could be said for tanks, ships, civilian aircraft, etc.   Or some vehicles that were just plain butt-ugly and could use some sort of makeover.

We could have a Group Build in which we purposely state the recognized flaw(s) of an airplane, ship, tank, automobile (?) and go about correcting that well-known flaw or shortcoming.  Just another idea for the Repository....
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

puddingwrestler

An interesting idea - now I just need to work out how to build a non-exploding Ford Pinto! :rolleyes:
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: puddingwrestler on August 01, 2008, 09:28:08 PM
An interesting idea - now I just need to work out how to build a non-exploding Ford Pinto! :rolleyes:

lol...now that would be an Alvis entry...a Pinto wrapped in Nomex!

It's an interesting idea.  The nature of the theme would keep out most modern aircraft, since they either are fixed before production or the changes are software only.  Naturally the A-4 would be ineligible, since it is perfect to start with.  It would be a good GB for the likes of the Defiant and Cutlass though. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 01, 2008, 10:15:09 PM

It's an interesting idea.  The nature of the theme would keep out most modern aircraft, since they either are fixed before production or the changes are software only.  Naturally the A-4 would be ineligible, since it is perfect to start with.  It would be a good GB for the likes of the Defiant and Cutlass though. 

A-4 should've had a T-Tail, but that goes without saying.  :rolleyes:   Me-109 with a bubble canopy.  Almost any British WW2 fighter fitted with more powerful engine for its weight, an A6M9 model Rei-Sen (visibly) beefed up to meet the challenge of the heavier/more armored American opponents, BP Defiant with fwd-firing guns and a reduced/regular rear-gunner position.....etc.

There would likely be plenty of debate when it comes to which vehicle needed which improvements but, in the end, it's your model!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

lancer

I agree with Duncan, it IS a good idea for a GB. No idea what I'd enter for it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Weaver

A RAF Lightning with a big (tailless) delta wing full of fuel and with a decent number of missiles slung under/on it?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

^^^^^
To fix the flaws of an EE Lightning? ... I like the idea ... I will build a Phantom  :wacko: :wacko:
Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Quote from: ysi_maniac on August 06, 2008, 05:28:45 AM
^^^^^
To fix the flaws of an EE Lightning? ... I like the idea ... I will build a Phantom  :wacko: :wacko:

But then how will you fix the flaws of the Phantom? Build an F-15?  :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

upnorth

Its a great idea for a group build, makes me wish I had put off starting my bubble top Hurricane a bit longer so I could enter that into it. Its too far along now. I always thought the birdcage canopy and high spine causing visibility issues were real detriments to the Hurricane.

There's actually a few things that would require only very modest work to reflect an improvement in the design:

Fokker triplane with ailerons on all the wings, just like the Sopwith triplane that inspired it, rather than just on the top wings. It would just be a simple scribing job and maybe a couple of extra lines of rigging.

A few more adventurous ideas that hit me:

A B-17 with shoulder mounted wings to allow for a larger bomb bay and payload.

An HP Hampden with a widened fuselage that would give the other crew members internal access to the cockpit if the pilot was killed or injured and unable to continue flying the aircraft. From all I've heard, it was that lack of internal access to the cockpit that was the Hampden's biggest drawback.

Cosmetically, an inline engine would work wonders for the front end of a Vickers Wellesley. Not sure if there would be any practical improvements coming from it though.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Leigh

So can I build a Spitfire and call it a flawless Blackburn Roc?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

sotoolslinger

I swear this is the first time I have seen this topic :blink:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

It's Trigger's Old Broom Syndrome, isn't it, or, as it's known in the States, Super-Hornet syndrome:

"Well yes, it's got a new centre-fuselage, new engines, new outer wings, new fins, new radar, new forward fuselage, new tailplanes, new inner wings, new undercarriage and a new rear fuselage, but basically it's just a modified version of the old Hornet. Congressman."  :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones

Taiidantomcat

Hey, the Super Hornet has a whole ELEVEN PERCENT in common with the Original...
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

gunfighter

F 104 with bigger wings and more fuel?

Daryl J.

A model of a bottle of 1994 Port....improved only by being empty!  :thumbsup:

Daryl J.