Gloster Guardian - Munich Crisis fighter

Started by kitbasher, August 05, 2008, 10:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

More!  More!  This is another perfectly believable blending of airframe components: you guys are the best!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

jcf

Quote from: kitbasher on August 06, 2008, 11:52:39 AM
...(as indeed do Hurricane wings - was Glosters part of the Hawker Siddelley Group by the late 30s (they certainly built early Hurricanes), and did they employ similar construction and design techniques?). 

Yep, Hawker completed their takeover of Gloster in 1934 making the Gauntlet I the last Gloster aircraft to use Gloster structural design and construction methods, all following designs used Hawker standards.

Source:
Gloster Aircraft since 1917
Derek N James
2nd edition 1987
Putnam

kitbasher

OK, ready to go with the painting.

I'm bringing forward the timeline a little in order to make use of Matchbox Gladiator decals for 112 Sqn in 1940, so it won't be a Munich aircraft after all (a planned Gloster whif will be, though).  Camo will follow the 'A' scheme pattern worn by Hurricanes, but the undersides will be as per the Matchbox 112 Sqn option.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

sequoiaranger

I whiffed a monoplane Gloster "Gadfly" from a Gladiator, but I kinda picked the wrong wing for my monoplane, and it came out looking kinda wimpy. I like yours better, and can hardly wait to see it all "dressed up".
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Brian da Basher

Nice work on the beefed up wing and new engine!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

kitbasher

Painting is now underway.  Not the best picture, as it's not immediately apparrent that its being finished in dark earth and dark green (undersides are black and white).   ;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

And here is the finished article......

Gloster Guardian II, K6135 'RT-E', 112 Sqn RAF, Helwan, May 1940
A contemporary of the Fokker D.XXI and Nakajima Ki-27, the Guardian represented the crossroads of mainstream fighter design in Britain, at which point the classic biplane of the 1920s and 30s RAF gave way to the more heavily-armed monoplane fighters of the late 1930s, namely the Hurricane and Spitfire.
Glosters had originally planned to develop a refined version of their SS.19B Gauntlet (the SS.37, reputedly to have been called the 'Gladiator') in response to specification F.7/30, but halfway through project development decided to move to a monoplane configuration.  The resultant Guardian I (ordered to specification F.14/35) consisted of a refined Gauntlet fuselage and tailplane, and retained a fixed undercarriage (albeit in a much more streamlined form than the Gauntlet's).  Powered by a Bristol Mercury engine driving a fixed-pitch two-bladed wooden propeller, design innovations included a fully enclosed cockpit and wing-mounted armament (6 x Browning .303 machine guns).
Only one squadron (72 Sqn) equipped with the Mk I, forming in February 1937 at RAF Church Fenton.  Such was the rapid pace of development that the next squadron to equip (No 3 Sqn in July 1937) received the definitive 830 hp Mercury VIII-engined Guardian II.  The Mk II (which also featured a three-bladed propeller) represented the production standard, with deliveries continuing until December 1939.
Some 15 Squadrons and several Flights eventually operated the Guardian.  Although by the outbreak of the Second World War it had been generally superseded in Fighter Command by the more advance Hurricane and Spitfire in the day fighter role, the type saw limited action in the Battle of France.  Guardians remained in front line service overseas until 1942, and in second-line service at home as late as March 1945.  
Guardians were also operated by the air arms of  Belgium, China, Egypt, Finland, Free France, Greece, Iraq, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Portugal, South Africa and Sweden.
(donor kits: Airfix Gladiator I, Kittyhawk Ia; Heller F4U-1 Corsair; Matchbox Gladiator I/II, F4U-4 Corsair)

Now I really must concentrate on my 'Fairey Falcon' and 'Wesland Warlock'! ;D ;D

jcf

Very nice!  ;D

So is your Warlock to be something along the lines of a developed Wizard, or a fighter counterpart to the Witch?

Jon

kitbasher

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 06, 2008, 01:07:50 PM
Very nice!  ;D
So is your Warlock to be something along the lines of a developed Wizard, or a fighter counterpart to the Witch?
Glad you like it.  Check out the Warlock in the Spitfire GB.  ;D ;D

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

Sharp as a tack, kitbasher! I don't think I've ever seen RAF camo done any better and your treatment of the exhaust is perfect! You created a totally plausible model and backstory which fits the era like a glove!

Outstanding!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Leigh

Yeah that works! :wub: Very nice build. Exactly what you'd expect from the time period.
For some reason though I keep seeing a P-47 in there somewhere, dunno why just do.
Glad you solved the wing problems I've had a similar Idea of switching wings between a Fury and a Hurricane but you almost need to mix up scales on these things, 1/48 Fury wings on a 1/72 Hurricane and 1/72 Hurricane wings on a 1/48 Fury.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models