Main Menu

Supervixen!

Started by kitbasher, August 05, 2008, 10:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: ysi_maniac on August 06, 2008, 05:09:14 AM
;D I see this thread is not about the Russ Meyer's film :banghead: :wacko:

Yes a shame that...... maybe we should start our own over on the chat forum...... how about titling it "Beyond the Valley" ?

Great idea, Mr Kitbasher sir, will be following this with some interest.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitbasher

Sorry to say nothing's happened to this project since the inital flurry of misguided youthful (ha! I wish!!) enthusiasm.  Other projects have got in the way and it's actually one of those that's led me to take a slightly different tack with this build.
After the Fairey Falcon that was almost 4 months late for SMW2008, I wanted a quick build whif (Nils mentioned something similar in a recent post, albeit for more serious sounding reasons).  I took a look at some of my modelling ideas, and in the case of the Supervixen it was the draft backstory.  I wan't happy with it and came to the conclusion that the tale behind a 'Supervixen FG.1' as oringinally planned wasn't that convincing.  But a Vixen FAW.1, FAW.2, FGR.3 'family' seemed more feasible.
So, the new tale is that the RAF put their faith in the DH110 rather than the Gloster G.A.5 and thus the Vixen was born, and the Javelin never progressed beyong the prototype stage.  The Royal Navy also backed the DH110 and took delivery of the Sea Vixen FAW.11 and FAW.12.  The latter's multi-role capabilities were fed into what by now had become Hawker Siddelley marketed as the 'Supervixen' and actually built as the Vixen FGR.3 for the RAF.
So as a first stage I'm building a Vixen FAW.2.  It's the Novo kit as originally planned (I've a second one for the FGR.3), probably in 23 Sqn markings of the kind wore by the squadron when it operated Javelins.  23's not quite confirmed as the squadron of choice, and the FGR.3 might just be an FG.3 yet.
More to follow.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McGreig

Quote from: kitbasher on March 16, 2009, 02:03:35 PM
I wan't happy with it

Well, obviously! It's because your design leaves the tailbooms on. Think how much sleeker and more Russian, er, British, it would look with no tailbooms and the fins mounted directly on the wings. Just the sort of thing that Geoffrey de Cheranovsky Havilland would have liked to have designed - - - - ;D

kitbasher

Okay!  Throwing the Vixen together is very thereputic, I must say - no fancy work here, just a straight build and an RAF paint job.  But what a kit - I've never seen so much flash!!  At least it's helping me to work out how best to do the 'Supervixen' when I eventually get round to it.   ;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Reading back on this thread about Brit offset cockpits........

The reason the Canberra B(I)8 and PR9 are offset is because they wanted a low drag but higher visibility canopy. The seat is in exactly the same position in the fuselage as it is in the fishbowl canopy bomber versions. That's offset to port so the backseaters can get in the door and work their way past the pilot to their seats behind him. When they built the T4, with two seats side by side under the bowl, the crew needed to be very friendly, elbow room was at a premium, to say the least.

AFAIK Hobbes had it right about the Sea Vixen, the pilot needed to have an all-round lookout, it was designed as a fleet defence fighter, and the nav needed to keep his eyes on the radar.

But it does look great, dunnit?  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Exactly right about the B(I)8 and the PR9.
You probably know it anyway, but the original DH110 concept had both seats raised and the nav looking out of the canopy, rather like the NF Mossies and the later Vampire/Venom night fighters.
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2009, 01:05:02 PM
When they built the T4, with two seats side by side under the bowl, the crew needed to be very friendly, elbow room was at a premium, to say the least.
And yes, having had a trip a long time ago in a Canberra T4 I can attest to the snugness of the cockpit.  The worst thing about it was having to strap in tightly into the bang seat with it tilted at an odd angle - an experience best described as eye watering!  Still, it as quite an agile beast despite its age even in the early 80s (the barrel roll over Lincolnshire and the tight run-and-break join back in the visual circuit at Wyton was evidence of the Canberra's its performance).  About a year later I got a jolly in a 100 Sqn B2 being used as a banner tower for 111 Sqn Phantoms - a strange feeling knowing you're being shot at, and even odder was the fact that from however many hundreds of yards in front of the F-4s we were, the Vulcan gun made a heck of a noise!   ;D ;D

B777LR

Ya know, Vixen has a certain amount of swedish sound in it :thumbsup:

ChernayaAkula

Going by the thread title, there needs to be a second bubble.... canopy.  :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

The Rat

I can see it getting the nickname 'Twixen'.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitbasher

I think all the filling's done - at least for now!  Priority 2 model after my Manta NF2, then a short break from whiffing I think while I get my Xtrakit Spitfire XII done.  ;D ;D

kitbasher

Lots of sanding under way.  Yawn... :banghead: ;D ;D

Cobra

Great Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: this Baby Screams one Phrase "TOP GUN" :tornado: can't wait to see her when She's Ready!!!!!! are you going to add a Shark's Mouth to the Plane when Done??? Keep up the Great Work :cheers:

kitbasher

Quote from: Cobra on August 12, 2009, 02:53:01 PM
are you going to add a Shark's Mouth to the Plane when Done???
Mmmm.....must confess all I was planning to do regarding painting and decorating was finish it in adapted but bog-standard RAF Javelin squadron markings (as the DH110 from which the Sea Vixen was derived was the alternative to the Javelin) and hadn't even considered anything as flamboyant as a sharkmouth.  Need to think about that - a good suggestion, though!  ;D ;D

Cobra

Glad to Help. i might be Mistaken but...........i think i saw some Pics of Javelins,Etc. with a shark's mouth on em!!!!

Captain Canada

Nice one, Robert ! That's a very sexy aeroplane.....I'd love to see that one fly before she goes.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?