Whiffer's paradise

Started by Weaver, August 06, 2008, 04:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Variuos possible ranges, some overlap:

1. British/Russian/American Secret Projects: do a deal with the publishers if possible to tie the kit range to the books. I'd like to see this because I get hacked off with the imbalance between the amount of attention paid to the sketchiest Luft'46 design and that paid to non-German projects that actually had far more chance of getting built.

B/A/RSP "Sure Things":

TSR.2
P.1154 (RAF)
P.1154 (RN)
SR.177
Avro 730
P.1052 (straight and swept tail options)
P.1081 (possibly combine with above?)
Vulcan Phase III with Skybolts
Miles M.52
Martin Baker MB.5
Saunders Roe SRA.1
P.1216

CF105 Arrow (only actually covered in passing in BSP, but come on........)

Valkyrie
F-108 Rapier
Skylancer
Crusader III
Martin XB-51
Martin SeaMaster
Convair Sea Dart
P530 Cobra (the early forward-cockpit one)
YF-17
Vought V-507

Havn't got the Russian books yet, so I'm not well up on theirs, but here's a few:

Mya.54(?) "Bounder"
The "super MiG-21" with a chin intake and canards (can't recall the I-number) edit: Ye-8 - that'd be why I couldn't remember the "I" number...... :rolleyes:
Tu-144
All the major Ekranoplans

2. Missing Presumed Ignored. The "real" ones that the kit business has unaccountably not covered well or at all. I'm not the expert on this, but here's a few that immediately spring to mind:

HP Hampden (apparently, the Airfix kit was the only one EVER)
Westland Whirlwind (only ever covered by Airfix, must be time for a better (1/48th?) one?)
Vickers Valiant

Warships from 1945 to 1980 seem less well covered, as do smaller ships like frigates. What about Brit Type 12s, Counties (only covered by Airfix long ago), Leanders (in all their variants), the various mad-looking USN missile cruiser conversions with LOADS of launchers and radars,  Garcias, Brookes, the radar picket DDs, Forest Shermans, etc.....

More later.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Bryan H.

Since, I don't want to kill off the Golden Goose, I'll relent and have some sheer money making kits.  Possibly, NASCAR & Formula Racing cars, maybe some licensed Sci-fi stuff, some 1/48 F-4 Phantoms, P-51's, Spitfires, Bf109's (bleck - insert vomiting smilie here), Fw190's (bleck - insert vomiting smilie here), F-18's, or whatever my crack market research team comes up with.

These will help finance the kits I want...
1) 1/48 Kfir
2) 1/48 Mirage IIIE/5 family
3) 1/48 MiG-23/27 family
4) 1/48 FJ-3 Fury
5) 1/48 R4D-5L/LC-47H (the Antarctic C-47)
6) 1/48 B-47
7) 1/48 P2V / SP-2H Neptune (including of course an AP-2H Gunship version)
8) 1/48 Yak-28 Brewer & related versions
9) 1/350 USN CSGN
10) 1/350 USN Alaska class Battlecruiser (WWII & hypothetical modernized versions)
11) 1/350 USN Montana class BB (WWII & hypothetical modernized versions)
12) 1/350 USN Essex class post SCB-27/SCB-125 modernizations
13) 1/350 USN Forrestal class
14) 1/35 Panhard AML-90
15) Su-17/22
16) Su-24

I'm sure I can think more but that's all for now...

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

philp

New series coming soon from "It's Just a Hobby Models"

Vietnam War Riverine craft in 1/72nd.
Monitor
PBR
Swift
ASPB
PACV
RAG
Sam Pan
and the new SOC-R

Coming to a Hobby Shop on the internet (or near you if you are lucky).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

LemonJello

Well, if all of you guys are churning out these kits, I'll just keep my new-found fortune so I can buy some of them!
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

luft46models

I'll have to agree with the comment about 190's - only one I've built was done in Pakistani markings over an ex Luftwaffe 190F.

I'll agree with the comments about non L46 projects provided I can do some of the nice stuff in L46 that Unicraft has covered but in decent plastic/resin - still got that piece of poo-poo (with an english accent) they call a Ju SFP  1940's vintage A-10 - new engine ducts u/c etc and I'm not even fussy :) PSR X 1 million

William in Oz

upnorth

Well outside some requisite money spinning kits of proven sellers, I'd try to churn out the following:

The only WWI aircraft I can think of doing just now is:

Sopwith Triplane in both 1/72 and 1/48
(How could it be neglected for so long? there'd have been no Fokker Dr.I without the Tripehound!)

interwar designs that somehow keep getting neglected or have been under represented. I'd include the following, all in 1/72:

new tooled Vickers Wellesley
new tooled Heinkel HE-70
A HE-111 with a stepped cockpit that could actually be built (unlike Roden's beast)
Bristol Bombay

I would also aim for some of those interesting Czech interwar aircraft of which we only have ancient Kopro kits to work with in injection form

I'd also hit on some of the air racers of the era as well, there are models of some of them, but I think they're all getting long in the tooth. I'd love to do a set of floatplane kits based on the Schneider Cup race series.

If I were to touch WWII at all, not likely, I might punch out the following, again all in 1/72:

new tooled Short Stirling
Martin Baker MB.5
Full injection Fairey Firefly series (Special Hobby can keep their PE and resin bits from their firefly kits)
Full injection Hawker Tempest II (See above comment regarding Special Hobby)
Miles Master

As for post war stuff, all 1/72:

New tooled Avro Arrow
New tooled Avro CF-100 series
Avro C.102 Jetliner
Edgely/Brooklands Optica
A DeHavilland Dash 7 and a decent Dash 8
Vickers VC-10, both military and civil
Lockheed Tristar, both military and civil
Lockheed Jetstar
Piaggio P.180 Avanti
Supermarine Scimitar
New tooled Gloster Javelins
new tooled Dornier 228
Fokker VFW-614
Aero 45 and 145

I'd also hit on the Valiant, but I'd redo the V Bombers completely. Why park a brand new state of the art Valiant along side the ageing Airfix Vulcan and Matchbox Victor?

I'd make my V Bomber kits so that the modeler could build them as early anti flash white aircraft or as later tactical camoflaged aircraft. The Vulcan would come with a later wraparound aceme option and the Victor would come with the Hemp tanker option. Basically thats at least three markings options in each kit.

As all the V Bomber types did see some use as tankers, I would put a tanker option in all the kits.

The Victor kit would be based on the B.Mk.2. I'd mold the wings with the bomber role in mind, but include parts and instructions for modifying the wings to reflect the tanker variant. It could be built as a conventional bomber, Blue Steel aircraft, recce variant as well as the tanker.

The Vulcan would also be B.Mk.2. Buildable as conventional bomber, Blue Steel aircraft, tanker or Black Buck aircraft. (Anyone know if the Vulcan was used for recce? If it was, I'll throw that in too if there's room left over in the box)

That should be enough to satisfy most die hard V Bomber fans. If the kits prove popular enough, I might be inclined to look at producing Mk.1 kits of the Victor and Vulcan in the future.

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/