HMS Scimitar Fast Patrol Frigate, 2120, FINISHED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, August 08, 2008, 10:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 15, 2008, 08:19:01 PM
Nice little news item today to go along with this build and all the other Sci-fi projects that seem to have taken us over for a little summer madness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/08/15/sciwarpdrive115.xml

Hmmm, the solution to the old "velocity vectors conundrum" still seems to elude them.  Back on Riboflavin-IV, we studied this in primary school in order to get our starship operator learner's permit.  I tore out a 'page' from my quadtronic notebook with the final answer:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

entlim

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on August 17, 2008, 12:44:16 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 15, 2008, 08:19:01 PM
Nice little news item today to go along with this build and all the other Sci-fi projects that seem to have taken us over for a little summer madness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/08/15/sciwarpdrive115.xml

Hmmm, the solution to the old "velocity vectors conundrum" still seems to elude them.  Back on Riboflavin-IV, we studied this in primary school in order to get our starship operator learner's permit.  I tore out a 'page' from my quadtronic notebook with the final answer:

Where did you learn to write Burmese?
You have hitted me with a black box- I'm not playing this game!.........

AeroplaneDriver

Right then, major construction is drawing to a close at the GE Space Systems/BVT Dry Dock in orbit around the moon.  The Royal Navy's fifth Type 728 Fast Patrol Frigate, HMS Scimitar, is nearing hull completion and awaits final fitting out. 

Engines are just temporarily attached with blutac, and the painting of the engines is a poor imitation  of Sisko's beautiful Rebel cruiser.

Underside shows where the quad laser cannon turret will be mounted under the forward hull.  The white area aft of the forward hull is where the heavy shuttle will be docked.

Now I'm off to spray a gray primer coat to see where I need to do more cleaning up and where the next batch of greeblies will go.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

BlackOps

I really like the final configuration. The Scimtar looks like she's gonna be one heck of a ship!  :wub:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

AeroplaneDriver

More progress tonight.  Some PE detail has been added and another coat of Tamiya Haze Gray sprayed.  I've temporarily attached some pieces to give an impression of how the finished article will look.  There's still quite a bit of detail work to do, and the Haze Gray is just a primer coat, still no idea what the final color will be.

More tomorrow!

AeroplaneDriver

Photobucket problems tonight, so the pics are posted direct.

This is the underside.

AeroplaneDriver

nev

OK, this isn't just cool, its Sharks-with-frikkin-laser-beams cool.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

sotoolslinger

Must agree  :wub: JUST FRIKKIN AWESOME :bow: AD go look at all the neat fishes and lizards and TTomcats spaceship people have posted on my thread for painting ideas :mellow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

PolluxDeltaSeven

Just wanted to say that it is totally awsome!!

I think I already told you that, but I'm CRAZY about your Sci-fi timeline and the models you've done about it!! They are part of the best models I ever saw!! Keep it updated!!

Oh yes, I forgot! I really enjoyed the two triangular antennas you used to put on the nose of the vessel and the vertical tail (page 2 of the topic). Will they be in the finish model or do you only keep the long range sensor array we see on the last pictures??

If you keep the tail, maybe a more "futuristic" design could be cool?
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

AeroplaneDriver

This project has been neglected for a few weeks, but now that the kids are back to school and I've got tomorrow free I thought I'd do a little work.  On the main model I've been gluing a few more details on, but I decided that the finished model will be about to deploy a fighter instead of the shuttle in the previous pics.  The scale of the ship keeps changing too.  I'm now leaning towards 1/700 instead of 1/350.  This will make Scimitar much bigger than a modern Frigate, about the size of an Invincible-class carrier.  Much of the size is dictated by the ships drive unit and other systems.  Automated operations and damage control systems allow this large ship to operate with a crew of 15, plus a Royal Marine contingent of 12, and another 12 personnel attached to the 'air wing'.

I found an ancient F-4 from some carrier model or other in the spares box and modified it to become a BAES Wyvern F.3.  The Wyvern is a trans-atmospheric fighter, able to operate in free space, but also in atmoshperic ops.  The single seat, short range fighter is armed with a single high-energy laser cannon and a single GE M1099 "Hellstorm" multi-barrel railgun.

HMS Scimitar carriers three Wyvern fighters in addition to a single shuttle for general purpose transport and boarding operations.

BlackOps

Oh yes! Me like very much!  :wub:  I went back and forth a bunch of times on the scale of my carrier and I've decided I'm not sure what scale it is, I was thinking between 1/700 and 1/350 because 1/350 seemed off a bit.

Really love this build, can't wait to see it all finished up!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland