HMS Scimitar Fast Patrol Frigate, 2120, FINISHED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, August 08, 2008, 10:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

I am digging this so big time, it isn't even funny!  The use of the cowlings for the engines is perfect    :wub:

frank2056

The P-61 fuselage really completes the shape! My only quibble is that the dark energy/dark matter radiators for the Alcubierre warp drives are not properly offset by a field stabilizer...but as you said, you are modeling an early device and I don't want to go all JMN on you.

sotoolslinger

That is gorgeous. I will be opening a new topic a little later . The Stellar Republic of Texas would like to license your carrier design ;D :wacko: As we will be concentrating on fighters :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

retro_seventies

This is GREAT!

I've never really thought much about sci-fi models...but having seen how this is turning out i must admit, it's got the creative juices running a bit!  Great stuff AD!
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

BlackOps

I hate to say it AD, but I sure hope you get modelers block more often!  ;D  I love the overall shape you've got going here.

I have a similar project I've started out of a toner cartridge from work and was playing around with 1/350 scale aircraft to turn into space fighters for it, then I got distracted by group builds.

You've definately got me wanting to get back to it.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Brian da Basher

Those cowlings are aces, AD! A totally inspired addition! I'm going to enjoy wathcing this one come together!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

AeroplaneDriver

While waiting for the next round of Squadron Green to dry, I'm looking at a few design ideas.  I want to add something along the spine for visual intrest.  I was originally thinking of two dome shapes for storage tanks, but now I'm thinking they may relocate to the underside and I'll put something else on top.  Two ideas I'm tossing around are:

1.  A 'hump' for various exotic machinery. 

2.  A 'sensor sail' located either aft or amidship.  If I wnet with this it would have sensor antennae sprouting from the top kind of like the sail on a sub.

I'm torn over these.  Any thoughts or opinions guys?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

SinUnNombre

What about the "sail" on top of the hump? And definitely the forward position of the two. This is a great kitbash, keep us posted.

Jon

Edit: Had another thought. What about the hump on top and the sail underneath?

BlackOps

I'm partial to the tail, both positions look good but forward makes it a bit more interesting and less like a jet fighter.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

AeroplaneDriver

OK guys, a bit of tweaking the design and sorting through greeblies tonight while the putty dried.  I've added a few things, just tacked on with either a dab of CA or a blob of blutac.  This is what I arrived at, combining both the hump and sail.  The 'mandibles' need a little work, but I like this feature.  I regretted removing them from my earlier fighter, so I think they may stay.  As any of the physicists onboard will notice, they are warp field manipulators.   ;D

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure about the sail.  I like it, but I also prefer it further forward, which I think risks making an already front-heavy design a bit too front-heavy.  I may have to put some more thought into the sail.  It may migrate to the lower side.  Some structure has been added underneath between the engines to balance it out a little.  I actually have to go in to work tomorrow AM (shock!  horror!  :o ), so this is likely it for tonight. 

Ed S

I definitely like the sail better than the hump.  It adds more visual interest to the model.  I'm looking forward to more on this one.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

frank2056

How about putting the hanger bay under the engine section, with the airlock doors facing to the sides and slightly down?

AeroplaneDriver

OK, last bit of tinkering for tonight.  No pics, but I've removed the sail and installed two of them as ventral 'fins' in a 'v' configuration from the edges of the structure beneath the engines.

I'll post pics of this latest idea tomorrow, but I think I like it.  It balances out the nose a little better.

CanisD

Maybe reverse the sail so the edge with the greater sweep is aft. Might give it a bit more aggressive look.
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Wolf's Shipyard
Wolf's Shipyard Forum