Real World- but very rarely seen

Started by Leigh, August 08, 2008, 03:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh

Oft lost in the annals of history is the true story of the "Great Escape" originally the movie was a British production by "Tea and Biscuits" movies a small U.K. susiduary of United Artists. Cast with the cream of British talent the production ran over schedule and budget, including a long term strike by the crew because of the quality of the Pork Pies at craft services. At one point director John Sturges was reported to have screamed ""Give me a Melton Mowbray or I'm taking my camera and going home". Due to budget restraints it was actually his camera. At this point United Artists attempted to recoup some of it's losses, stepped in and took control of production. Some of the parent companies demands were to re-cast most of the roles with Americans in order to sell the movie in the U.S., Richard Attenborough and Donald Pleasance kept their jobs but the following were replaced on the rosta
Sid James - The Scrounger - went to James Garner
George Cole - Dispersal - went to David MaCallum
Tony Hancock - Manufacturer - went to James Coburn
A plank of Wood - Tunnel King - went to Charles Bronson (no difference there)
and other changes
Kenneth Williams role of "the Flower Arranger" was cut from the movie completely and the role of Virgil Hilts was expanded to become the starring role and accomodate Steve McQueen. Originally this part was a minor stunt part played by a young stunt man/ special effects tech working under the name Wallace Ecclesworth. Never an extrovert Wallace was devastated by losing his big break and quietly went back to Lancashire to work on his passion for mechanics and inventing.
Seen here is one of the few still shots from Wallace's sole contribution to the movie, the Motorcycle chase.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Leigh

Yes it's the venerable Wallace and Gromit- Motorcycle and Sidecar kit sans the sidecar. Converted to a single seat with added luggage rack and slit headlight. Also put saddlebags of milliput and foil on it, even though there were'nt any on McQueens bike it has a more "military feel"

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Leigh

The hardest part was re-sculpting Wallace so he lost his dungarees, long sleeved shirt and tie and welly boots. Anyone who's ever made this kit knows it's a strange form of styrene impervious to sanding and more akin to granite. Pretty much an industrial grinder was necessary to give him elbows. Milliput ears and sawdust hair.

Leigh's Models

Leigh

Barbed wire was made from jewelry wire in the only manner I could think how, exactly the same as real barbed wire, god that is time consuming but fortunately portable, I actually spent a Sunday morning on the beach making barbed wire.

Leigh's Models

Leigh

And just to show that not all IPMS judges are a bunch of JMN's "The Not So Great Escape" as it's called has been to three competitions and has three trophies. So you can make fun stuff and still enter competitions.

This is the second one I've done, the first OOB and they are so much fun I'm gonna do a few more, the  Sidecar I want to do as Gromit piloting the Bell X-1 and..
Evel Knievel
Marlon Brando from 'the Wild One"
Indiana and Dr.Jones from "the Last Crusade"
if anyone has any more ideas on famous motorcycles I'd love to hear them.

The only downside is these kits are hard to find and damn pricey to boot, though
I have got a couple of deals off E-bay.

Leigh's Models

philp

Leigh,
As you know, I am not one to candy coat a remark so...

That is brilliant. :thumbsup:

I still have not seen these kits in the flesh but would love to try one or two.  Been watching the Shawn the Sheep Landrover kit Airfix is bringing out, more wonderous ideas there.

Can't wait for the Evel Knievel and Last Crusade versions.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sotoolslinger

Did  ya'll all just pick today to cheer me up after my surgery? ;D Bravo You amuse and entertain :wub: :drink: :party:
First Aeroplane Driver posts his cool spaceship and now this. BEAUTY :thumbsup: ;D :lol: :bow:
PS  What the heck is a Wallace and Grommit :blink:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Eddie M.

That is just plain cool! First my mouth dropped open then I got a big smile. My kids are going to love this. Outstanding!
   Eddie
Look behind you!

AeroplaneDriver

Absolutely superb Leigh!!

Whiffery, fun, and one of the best WWII films all rolled into one!

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Damian2

HAHAHAHA!!!

Man I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair! Well done mate!!

D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Brian da Basher

What a way to come back to posting on What-If and with a huge flourish too! My hat's off to you Leigh, your "Not So Great Escape" is absolutely brilliant!!!! The look on Wallace McQueen's face is just perfect!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

upnorth

Great stuff!

Somewhere along the line you have to do:

Dennis Hopper in "Easy Rider"

That pair of bad guys on the motorcycle from "The Road Warrior"

You could also do him up as the "Ghost Rider" comic character if you felt really masochistic (What exactly would Wallace's skull look like?)

I'm sure there's also some good stuff in the various James Bond films to use as inspiration too.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Ed S

Brilliant.  And well done as well.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Mike Wren

BlackOps

Leigh, great job on the re-sculpting and the textures, really makes it pop! Very fun!  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.