F-16 in the RAF

Started by Big Bird, August 09, 2008, 12:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Bird

Hi this is my first What If in many years.

In late 1990, faced with the spiralling costs of the Eurofighter and our European partners getting nervous on cost, amount of aircraft required and build rations. Coupled with the news that the German government wanted to pull out of the contract. The MoD contacted the United states government with a view to purchasing the F-16 Fighting Falcon. The ideal would be for the airframes to be fitted with a Rolls Royce engine, Marconi avionics and assembled in the UK.
Before any such deal came to fruition the United States government made available to the MoD/RAF three airframes. These were basically F-16A/B airframes that had been used for testing and as company sales demonstrators.
The planes were delivered to Boscome Down in 1991 and testing/evaluation began with a newly formed RAF evaluation flight. The RAF pilots and the personnel at MoD Boscome Down were immediately impressed with the aircraft. The F-16s were unofficially named Tempest II by the evaluation flight, whether this name would have been officially chosen or sanction is now a matter of conjecture.
However all testing was halted in July 1992 when the German government admitted that it was legally bound by contract to stay with the Eurofighter project and all parties to the contract agreed on new take up amounts and the division of labour was re-negotiated.
The F-16 airframes were returned to the US and immediately mothballed at Davis-Monthan AFB 'bone yard'.
Thus ended the RAF's brief love affair with the F-16.

I've really enjoyed this one, the kit being an early Tamiya is not up to much but I like F-16's, a fun build.

Rafael

Welcome to the dark side, Mish!!!! :drink: :party: :cheers: :bow: :thumbsup:

We have cookies!!!

Beautiful Viper :wub: :wub: :wub:

My favorite airplane of all time. And in British markings!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

bexwh773

Looks good Sis, even though its an F-Teenyboppa :lol:  Everyone let me introduce you to my "adopted" Sister Big Bird  :drink:   :cheers:   :party:

Bex
Becky aka Bex

sotoolslinger

Love your plane BB  :wub: and any friend of Bexy is mine too :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

lancer

welcome to the asylum Big bird...Nice build, and even though I positively loathe the F16, yours does look good.  Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Watch out for the Texicans and Canadians... they're harmless enough, but feed 'em beer and twiglets to keep them nice and quiet in the corner... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

John Howling Mouse

Hello, BB, welcome to the finest Canadian Whif Forum on the 'net.   :thumbsup:

Love the perfect paintjob (have heard that some modelers can accomplish this but haven't experienced it firsthand yet).  Absolutely believable, too.

I'm a big fan of F-16's too: any aircraft that size which is capable of bringing what it can to the fight is a front runner in my books.  And this old Tamiya kit has a way of sticking with one, doesn't it?

Naturally, like any aircraft, F-16's do look best with a T-Tail and their main landing gear moved farther aft...

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,2713.msg30471.html#msg30471

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,3147.msg36386.html#msg36386

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,2479.msg27814.html#msg27814
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Damian2

:wub:

Nice one Mish!! Good to see her done finally!!

D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

bexwh773

Quote from: sotoolslinger on August 09, 2008, 01:34:19 PM
:wub: and any friend of Bexy is mine too :thumbsup:
You on the pull yet again my Dear Toolslinger  :wub:
Bex
Becky aka Bex

sotoolslinger

Hey just think of me as your big Texas brother :wacko: ;D :wub:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

And soon to be  the leader of a vast stellar empire ;D :tornado:
I amuse me.

Taiidantomcat

That is one smooth looking model...reminds me of a shark :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

bexwh773

Quote from: sotoolslinger on August 09, 2008, 06:31:42 PM
Hey just think of me as your big Texas brother :wacko: ;D :wub:

I like the sound of that  :thumbsup:
Anyways, just wait and see what BB has planned for you lot next, its a cracker  :party:

Bex
Becky aka Bex

Leigh

Welcome to the other side Mish, with a very nicely done model to boot.

Ignore the Rodent (he's a Canadian)
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on August 09, 2008, 02:39:41 PM

............Naturally, like any aircraft, F-16's do look best with a T-Tail and their main landing gear moved farther aft...

Everyone know's that F-16s look better with delta wings.http://www.leigheaton.com/weasel.htm

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Big Bird

Very nice Leigh, I've seen that before haven't I?

BlackOps

Beautiful job on the RAF F-16 Big Bird  :thumbsup: Very clean build, makes me jealous.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.