A new Falklands conflict? An ongoing project.

Started by Big Bird, August 10, 2008, 05:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Glad you posted that Mish >:( Now I know what to expect :banghead: :banghead:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Big Bird

Decided to do a bit of sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding filling I think you get the picture ;D
So now nice and smooth and ready for a bit more construction.
I've also just worked out that she is a tail sitter and I have forgot to put any nose weights in  :banghead:
I think I will be able to pour some lead shot in through the cockpit as long as I can get hold of some.
Today's work in pics:
Fist session of sanding

After the fourth session.

sotoolslinger

Putty, sand, repeat :banghead: :banghead: I don't think oob builds are supposed to look like one of my kitbashes :blink:
I amuse me.

Big Bird

Had an argument wit photo hosting company. I'm in the middle of repairing threads across four forums. Please bear with me.

Big Bird

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: bexwh773 on August 14, 2008, 05:49:03 AM
Quote from: Big Bird on August 11, 2008, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on August 11, 2008, 07:14:10 PM
....So, which one of you hogs the most workbench space, anyhow?
Sorry John
I don't understand

Its very simple Sis, but, alas I forgot you live in St Neots (Snots :lol:  )  What JHM is asking, is which one of us hogs the work bench as I dont think he realised that you live 200 miles away from Sunny Gatwick  :wacko:

I must say, your back story is very intriging and has a very wide scope for crazy ideas  :thumbsup:

Bex

Sorry, yes, from the pics of Bex's model-filled home, I figured the two of you built side-by-side like the two model-building brothers over on Swanny's site (who recently built a pair of the same model subject simultaneously and had all of us try to guess which model was being built by which brother).  Anyhow, back to your fine build, er, model!   -_-
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Big Bird

Air intakes on, more gaps

Another poorly fitting piece

And that is light you can see under the tail

More filler.

BlackOps

This one sure has an appetite for putty!  :o   Looks like your keeping things under control rather well considering the amount of PSR required.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Big Bird

Whilst watching the TV I did a bit of sanding. A little more filler required on the fuselage, just to fill a couple of indents.

sotoolslinger

Yep ,definite putty sucker. ;D good work  fixing this monster :wub:
I amuse me.

Big Bird

I was going to post this second part of my back story nearer the end of the build. Alas I've had to but this build on the back burner while I finish a couple of others for various Group Builds.
Anyway just to keep your interests perked here is part two.

The Shooting War

19th February 2009

The BHP Billiton exploration platform Oasis 11 180 miles west of West of West Falkland.
For three days now the Argentinean Navy ship ARA La Argentina the second ship of the MEKO 360H2 series of four destroyers built for the Argentine Navy. Designated as a Almirante Brown class destroyer by the Argentineans had be sailing dangerously close to the platform. Each time she had be warned by the platforms radio operators and by FIDF AEW/MR Brit Norman Defender not to approach the platform and to stay out of Falkland territorial waters each time the warning went unheeded and unanswered. Today the the situation changed as she sail around the platform La Argentina trained her Otobreda 127/54 Compact 5 inch dual purpose gun
And her 8  Breda/Bofors 40 mm L/70 anti-aircraft guns on the platform,  before sailing away. The fact was reported back to Falkland Islands Government. The FIDF reacted immediately by maintaining  continuous patrol in the area with its 3 AEW/MR equipped Defenders and put its Sea Eagle equipped BAE Hawks on QRA alert.
At 15:03 the Defender callsign Spiker 15 contacted FIDF HQ at Mount Stanley airfield that it had a surface contact and had electronically identified it as the La Atgentina.
Spiker 15 broadcast a warning to all shipping to stay out of Falkland Island territorial waters. La Argentina continued on her course heading straight for Oasis 11.
Back at Mount Pleasant the QRA Hawk was scrambled.

Squadron Leader Matt Cooper took off in his BAE Hawk callsign Thatcher 1 with his 'back seater' Weapons Systems Operator Flight Lieutenant Gary Floyd and climbed to 15,000 foot where Gary contacted Spiker 15 and received data via the secure battle field data systems that vectored them towards the surface contact.
On their left  left wing they carry a BAE Sea Eagle antishipping missile, on the right wing they carried a long range fuel tank. They are running of this now as if they had to fire the missile they would have to jettison it as the asymmetric load on the aircraft would be too great. As they crossed the coast of West Falkland Spiker 15 gave them a verbal sitrep and a new vector via the data link. The contact was maintaining it's course and speed and in 10 minutes it would be inside territorial waters.
At 15:57 Spiker 15 ordered Thatcher 1 via the data link to descend to 1000 foot. Matt descended through the cloud and Matt and Gary saw the grey waters of the South Atlantic.
At 16:09 Spiker 15 called and told them the surface contact was now inside territorial waters, had not responded to warnings and was now considered hostile. They were cleared to go weapons live.
Gary run through his missile systems check, armed the missile and reported to Spiker 15 he was ready to fire. Spiker 15 acknowledged and they received an updated vector. 30 seconds later Spiker 15 called and told him to fire the missile. Gary 'pickled off' the missile and watched as it dropped away from his wing, ignited and speeding away and dropping to 60 foot above the ocean. He signalled Spiker 15 to reported weapon away. Spiker 15 acknowledged and the data link gave him a vector for home Matt turned the aircraft.
The shooting war had begun.

I plan in a later build to make Spiker 15 from an Airfix 1:72 Islander/Defender kit.

Where this story goes next I have no idea. Hope you like it

sotoolslinger

Very thrilling Sis :wub: Nice backstory :thumbsup: Waiting for the next installment( and more pics) :party:
I amuse me.

Howard of Effingham

:wub: mish knows i like this one!  :wub:

and she's brave using the premier kit!

anyhow me and my friend phoenix 54 were wondering, are you arming it in the same way that say 151 sqn hawks
were armed in the 1980's, 30mm aden cannon and 2 off AIM-9, or going for a 21st century fit of say same gun and
4 off AIM-132 ASRAAM?  :thumbsup:

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

Big Bird

Thanks for the comments.
Due to the special nature of this Hawks mission she will only be armed with one Sea Eagle antishipping missile. Future hawks I haven't made my mind up on yet. Not sure how these Hawks which are basically T1 standard would work in the air to air role having to suitable radar.

Anyway a little more done today. Tailplanes added, as were the wing fences and the airbrake. Unfortunately the airbrake needs a bit of filler...  :banghead: