Stellar Republic of Texas Diamondback

Started by sotoolslinger, August 10, 2008, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Second color shot

Note the stickers ;D
I got the idea while looking at all the nifty lizards and fishies...... my problem was how to get all the multiple varied shapes of spots and splotches of color without laboriously cutting random shapes out of masking tape :banghead: :banghead:
Then I remembered all the stickers they sell at arts and craft stores  :wub: all different shapes and sizes  :thumbsup: stick em on ,shoot a color, stick some different ones on shoot another color. It should look pretty cool when I finish and the stickers aren't overly sticky so they should peel off pretty easy :huh: :blink:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

Wow! Im going to have to use that sticker idea :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Brian da Basher

That looks aces, Toolslinger! Love the metallic green!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

bexwh773

Toolslinger my dear crazy Texican Fruitloop  :wub:
Now that is what I call a Class recovery  :bow:   :bow:   :bow:  I like that alot :bow:

ATB
Bex
Becky aka Bex

Ed S

WOW.  Wild and wacky and yet somehow it looks good.  It's them crazy Texican's.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

BlackOps

Awww, you mean the cute stickers aren't permanent?  :wacko:   ;D  Looks like it's making a nice comback! I'm also quite sure the paint will look nothing like it's current incarnation once it's finished.  FORWARD MOMENTUM!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

Thanks ya'll but hold off on using the idea yet.  :banghead: :banghead: Dang stickers peel the paint off :banghead: :banghead: I had to start over :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I amuse me.

cthulhu77

Well, you have to break eggs to make a...an...oh whatever.  Neat idea, hadn't thought of that before. Kind of like stencils that stick. Hmmm.

sotoolslinger

Well, I decided if it was gonna be like that I would just use it :wacko:. Since the chrome paint wasn't working from the start and it's supposed to have many coats of paint anyway I went ahead and shot it with glosscote and tried different stickers and stuck em first on something else to kill the sticky. I tried a new coat today so more updates when the paint dries :wub:
I amuse me.

HOG

Hey SoTool

Sometimes...............a build can be nothing but Ag    :banghead:
Stick in there bro   :thumbsup:

G

Edit 30/Aug
"Stick in there bro  " perhaps bad choice of word, nothing intentional meant about stickers

Anyways  just beat the son of a glitch into submission!
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sotoolslinger on August 25, 2008, 05:20:53 AM
Thanks ya'll but hold off on using the idea yet.  :banghead: :banghead: Dang stickers peel the paint off :banghead: :banghead: I had to start over :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You'll have to consult with my daughter next time.  As I was showing her this cool thread, as soon as we got to the sticker application entry, she says, "Uh, Dad, those kinds of stickers are not very easy to pull off"

You could cut out your own shapes from Tamiya's 18mm wide yellow tape (or post-it notes).  Even tracing the sticker outlines as a guide, if necessary.  Also, if you apply the stickers to a clean piece of plastic a few times, they will lose some of their adhesive strength.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Yeah I could have used that info before I did that :banghead: I'm gonna need you to ship her to Texas  ;D :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

ysi_maniac

Really serious kit bashing :bow: :bow: :bow:

BTW: I like the idea of a falcon with sidewinder head. I will use it one day
Will die without understanding this world.

sotoolslinger

Thanks maniac, I haven't posted an update for a while because the painting progress takes so long. I figured out that if I let each coat dry for a couple of days, then glosscote, let that dry for a few days and then put the masking on the paint doesn't peel off. :banghead: :banghead: So each coat takes a week or so. :banghead: This is after a coat of gold, then more stickers, and a coat of darker metallic green. Next will be copper then blue and finally ....... PURPLE :wub:

I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Don't use this crappy idea :banghead: :banghead: Even with very thin paint the buildup around the edges of the masking is too heavy  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I am now sanding everything back down to get her smooth again >:(

I think I'll still use the weird pattern and just overspray it with even more thinned out purple when I get it smooth.
I amuse me.