sotoolslinger

Son of a (expletive deleted) :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
After 3 coats of chrome paint it looked like this

AFTER 1 COAT OF GLOSS COTE

And no I did not accidentally spray it with primer
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

HOG

Ho SoToolSli
Try a wad of cotton wool with toothpaste rubbed gently and very wet onna hidden bit and see if it helps. If not try a bit of Future.

But mainly DON`T PANIC

G
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

sotoolslinger

Tried it :banghead: Also tried a polish I have :banghead: :banghead: Then I tried lightly wiping on thinner, that brought the finish back by removing the gloss cote but also crapped up the chrome  :banghead: :banghead: so I just started over :blink:
I amuse me.

jcf

What's your local humidity?
Humidity can play hell with clear-coat lacquers, the most common result being "blooming" i.e. the lacquer goes cloudy.
Which appears to be your problem, sometimes a second "wet" application can clear the bloom.
But if the humidity is high and you can't spray in a climate controlled area, you're best to wait for friendlier atmospheric conditions.

What brand of silver paint are you using? If Krylon or similar you can skip the gloss-coat as it will dry hard and, usually, smooth enough for decals.

Jon

HOG

If thinner took of the glosscote try lighter fuel as it may not attack the chrome.
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Taiidantomcat

Sorry Sotoolslinger, It's an ambitious paint scheme that will pay off in the end.  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sotoolslinger

Well heck it's all a learning process . ;D I have never encountered the humidity problem before but that could in fact have something to do with it  :blink: In any case ,it's now repainted and drying and I will just leave the chrome parts masked until it's finished :mellow:
I amuse me.

Sisko

I know what you are going through!

It sucks when that happens. But I'm sure your boundless enthusiasm will get you through. :thumbsup:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

retro_seventies

'Sup Tooly?

Total bad dates with the clearcoat - i have a similar recurring problem at work, and it's usually because of that darned Texas humidity.  For 99% of the time the krylon UV resistant high gloss clearcoat rattlecans that i use are GREAT, but if the humidity is too high then it just clouds to buggery, even if i'm just spraying onto painted board.  Not sure if that's what has happened to you, but that cloudy finish looks mighty familiar...

Keep pushing on buddy - this one's starting to fight you, but it'll be worth it in the end!
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

bexwh773

Yo Toolslinger my dear Texican friend,

I saw your pic of the nice shiny craft, brain kicked in working out some daft comment to hit you with, then I saw the damage the clear cote had done and it was a case of "OMG  :banghead:   ) and I didnt have the heart to have a joke. Well Im glad youve got her back under control and look forwards to seeing her finished  :thumbsup:

ATB
Bex
Becky aka Bex

sotoolslinger

Thanks for the good words all ya'll ;D :thumbsup: I resprayed the chrome on yesterday and will begin masking and spraying more colors on today. My wife wants to go to Half Priced Books today and the LHS is on the way home so I am going to stock up on Metalizer and other colors :wacko: :wacko:
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

I've had the same problem in the past, but usually with dullcoat. It's good to see you soldiering on in the face of adversity!
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

Yeah it pissed me off so bad I had to start another model ;D Of course I'm not sure anyone here will like my version of an x-wing :blink:
I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

Do you hear the model whispering to you, STS?  "Go with the purple..."

You'll make it work.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Purple is in ;D as are brass, mettalic blue, 2 different shades of mettallic green , and several different metalizers :wacko: In a sort of lizardy, fishy type pattern :wub:
I amuse me.