Gloster Gladius

Started by NARSES2, August 16, 2008, 05:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Second of my recent builds.

Gloster Gladius Mk I of 254 Squadron RAF February 1941.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

This is the Magna kit of the Gloster F9/37. One of their better ones although the white metal parts take some cleaning up

Markings are from some generic RAF sheets and the spares box. Paints are Xtracrylic, Tamiya and Lifecolour.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

From my reading the Gloster entry for F9/37 could have made a very handy fighter, certainly more suited to the role then the Blenheim If. With it's 6 20mm cannon all canted upwards at an angle of 15 degrees she would have been a fairly usefull bomber destroyer once tactics had been sufficiently developed and if in use during 1940 could have taken a heavy toll of Luftwaffe bombers

NARSES2

Final pic

I enjoyed this build and am quite pleased with the final result.

I have another one in the stash which may be finished as a Desert AF aircraft in which the fusalage guns are turned about 180 degrees so that they fire downwards and rewards. Make an idela straffing aircraft. No need for gunsight just hit the trigger as soon as you pass over the front of the target  :rolleyes:

Brian da Basher

Nice one, Narses! I really like your paintwork!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Captain Canada

Nice one, Chris ! That's quite the machine, first time I've heard of it ! Did it ever fly ? Really like the shape of the nose and canopy. And I have to agree with your sentiment regarding her usefulness....she sure looks the part !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Yeah, she flew, she even gets her own Wikipedia entry!  The two prototypes also recieved Peregrine engines at one stage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_F.9/37
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

cthulhu77

Neat !  Kind of a ground attack plane on steroids.

Glenn Gilbertson

A good looking "should have been" - I like it! :thumbsup:

K5054NZ

WOW! That really is something! I too hadn't heard of it - thought you'd bashed a Beaufighter with a 110!  :banghead:

Absolutely fantastic work! I love that early war scheme on twins - one reason I like the shortnose Blenheims. Put her on an all-grass 'drome, maybe with a Tiger and a Hurri I, and it'd be perfect!

Congrats, Narses. I like!

Sisko

Nice one!!!! I really like the job that you done with it.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on August 16, 2008, 07:30:54 AM
Yeah, she flew, she even gets her own Wikipedia entry!  The two prototypes also recieved Peregrine engines at one stage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_F.9/37

Careful with that Wiki, its not very accurate.
It mixes up the origin of the design and the eventual proposed development.

Jon

Patrick H

My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air