Migina 1 - profile by Arc3371

Started by Weaver, August 17, 2008, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on September 13, 2008, 05:50:11 PM
That is in fact a yes,  ;D Really looking forward to seeing how those engines turn out :wub:. I scored a 1/72 Scorpion today but ended up giving it to Scooterman (not really I made him give me 5 bucks :wacko:) But I also got a Mig 15 to go with my GINA so I can do a Mark II :thumbsup:

Oh nice one! It'd be good to see the Mk.II done. Should be easier too: the MiG-15 fuselage is a pure barrel and doesn't match the Gina's at any point, so it's really just a matter of sticking the latter's nose and cockpit onto the MiG. You could just carve the .50 cal ports from scratch and scribe a new access panel.

We'll have to start on his MiG-21 hybrids next........JOKE!  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

In between domestic jobs: Gunpods PSR'd in, wings on, tailplanes on, pylons on, canopy Future-dipped and drying, AP bombs painted again, frag bomb-rack assembled, nozzles painted gunmetal, cone assemblies further assembled.

As a result of it's State Acceptance Trials, I can now report that:

1) the aircraft provides a stable weapon platform when straffing the cat,

2) it looks best making a fast, level pass, like a napalming F-4,

3) the natural engine note is a T-37-style whistle.

:mellow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Arc3371

Words are cheap... We want pictures! ;D

Weaver

Quote from: Arc3371 on September 14, 2008, 01:32:22 PM
Words are cheap... We want pictures! ;D

Okay, this'll be £35 please....... :wacko:

1. As seen over your house.....

2. General state of affairs (canopy only resting on ATM):

3. In a death-dive over capitalist Stockport. The main point of this pic is to show the thinness of the alloy tube exhaust cans (cones not fitted yet):

4. Aaaaand the not-so-nice side (so far). Note the delightful fit of the u/c doors courtesy of A-Model AND Airfix (the Gina's nose doors were every bit as bad as the mains..... :banghead:)

5. The driver. Enamel paints and ink washes. I'm reasonably pleased with this guy.

6. Staggered triple frag bombs:

7. Now then, your opinions, please. I've got these wierd little 8-round rocket pods from a KP MiG-19, and I thought they might go well on (or under) the Migina's wingtips, the theory being that their blunt-nosed, tapered-tail look would match the fuselage and somehow go with the wing shape (obviously, they'd be more blended-in than this mockup). Now I look at it, I'm not so sure - what do you think?

- Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

Looking sharp, Weaver! I vote you keep the wintip rocket pods. You never see them on wingtips like that and I think they add a lot to the look of your Migina.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Arc3371

It really is shaping up nicely, as for the rocket pods I would mount them under the wingtips like the P-80 droptanks.

sotoolslinger

Yep keep em but under the wing tips :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Okay, I here'ya. How about just inboard of the tips, like this:

I think this enhances the wingtip shape (which I like) rather than destroying it.

By the way Arc, it's funny you should say that: there was a MiG-9 variant built and tested, but not put into production, that did indeed have P-80 style drop tanks under the tips.... :thumbsup:

The mounting of these pods on the MiG-19 they came off was really wierd, BTW. They were mounted on heavily backwards-staggered inboard pylons behind the u/c doors. Makes sense from a CofG point of view, of course, but I hope there was an interlock between the firing circuit and the gear-down light... :o

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Arc3371

Me too! It will be re-educating the bourgeois pigs that stand against the glory of Manchester very well! ;D

Ed S

Looking good.  Those parts have come together nicely.  Should look good with some paint on it.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

PSR, PSR, PSR...... tip pylons made and fitted (got to have some kind of plyon or else the pod tails will foul the ailerons), bits of painting in the engine nozzles and on the bombs, unfeasibly complicated bomb rack made for the AP bombs.. ;D

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Halfway through a white undercoat to see if the PSR is good enough.....

- Indiana Jones

Arc3371

And? Wont the chosen paint job be rather work intensive as well or do you have a technique you care to share?