Migina 1 - profile by Arc3371

Started by Weaver, August 17, 2008, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Quote from: Weaver on September 17, 2008, 05:53:37 PM
That has potential, and I'll give it a test tomorrow night - cheers!

I can see some potential problems with it though:

1. Most of the fuselage is curved surfaces, so if the stencil doesn't stick to the surface, how does it follow them?

2. The spacing of the squares is pretty tight, so it'd be hard to avoid smudging the last square whilst doing the next one.

Try making the template out of thin plasticard or brass sheet, that should bend to suit all but the most curved surfaces.  You could also cut three or for squares in the same template, so you could paint more in one go & move onto another area to give it a few minutes to dry, should be enough to prevent smudging.  Turn the template through 900 each time so you have four different patterns.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Okay, all together now;

"It was an itsy-witsy, teeny-weeny
yellow polka-dot Migini...."  :drink:

Yes I know that my squares are bigger than Arc's: that's because some experimentation showed that when I try to cut masking tape squares smaller than 5mm, I end wearing more of them than I manage to apply.... :rolleyes:

The rear fuse underside doesn't need to be masked because I'm hand-painting it Steel after the spraying's over.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Weaver

Hey this weekend we've had the first decent sunshine the UK has seen for months and I am NOT spending all of it in a basement and an attic, deadline or no deadline!

Anyway, coat of Humbrol 64 Light Grey (Zone 1 base colour and Zone 2 spot colour) on, and more square-bashing done:

The Blu-Tack "mule collar" is there to make a "soft mask" for the feathered dividing line between Zones 1 & 2. Yes I know I could, in theory, have just sprayed it by hand, but given that I've used an airbrush on exactly ONE model so far, my confidence in my abilities is justifiably low.

Here's the soft mask finished, with a strip of thin card and total masking job on the front fuse:

From this angle, you can see how the mask stands off the surface, allowing the paint to "scatter" under it:

Is this a good technique? No idea: I've read about it , but never actually tried it before........ :blink: (where's a fingers-crossed and/or praying smiley when you need one, eh?)

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

One coat of Humbrol 140 Gull Grey (Zone 3 base and Zone 4 dots) applied, and the square dance continues:

And here it is ready for the Zone 4 coat, which I've just applied:

- Indiana Jones

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

That's what I keep telling myself........ :rolleyes: ;D

Nothing done last night - errands to run. More tonight.

- Indiana Jones

Arc3371

Quote from: sotoolslinger on September 22, 2008, 07:55:47 PM
What a great learning experience :wub: :thumbsup:

I agree thats why these step by step pics are so good

Weaver

Coat of Humbrol 27 Sea Grey (Zone 4 base and Zone 5 dots), dotted and collared:

(Forgot to do a "clean" picture before I started masking again - sorry)

Full mask and collar:

It's now sitting in the cellar with a coat of Humbrol 32 Dark Grey (Zone 5 base) drying....

- Indiana Jones

Arc3371

Now that you are nearly finished, if you would have built it again what would you have done differently?

Weaver

Quote from: Arc3371 on September 24, 2008, 07:59:50 AM
Now that you are nearly finished, if you would have built it again what would you have done differently?

Apart from persuading Tamiya to make a G-91Y and a MiG-9, you mean?  :wacko:

Hmmmmm, not a lot that I COULD have done differently, to be honest. More time and more skill would have given it a better cockpit interior (well, any cockpit interior....), allowed me to use more, smaller dots in the paint scheme, and done the u/c down (better option, given the fit of the doors). I wouldn't have mucked about trying to use an allen bolt for a nose weight, just so it could support the intake upper wall, and I WOULD have taken much longer to accurately mate and clamp up the upper nose and lower centre fuselage, thereby avoiding mucho PSR.

Actually, what I might have done is started with a Matchbox G.91Y instead of an Airfix -R, if that gave me a better nose, a cockpit and a pair of nickable engine nozzles. However, I've never seen the Matchbox kit so  I don't know how it breaks down.

- Indiana Jones

kitnut617

It has a slight Buckeye resemblance which made me do a 'double-take' at it, very cleverly done  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ChernayaAkula

The plane looks very nice! :thumbsup: A beautiful design!

Can't wait to see the camo "unveiled".  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Well, here's what it looks like after a tips'n'tails coat of Humbrol 27 Dark Grey (Zone 5 base coat):

- Indiana Jones