1/72 Bell "Bantam" from the Special Hobby XP-77

Started by Brian da Basher, August 19, 2008, 03:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

In July of 1940, after learning of the fall of France, Sisowath Monivong, the King of Cambodia, died suddenly of a heart attack. His grandson, Norodom Sihanouk, was appointed monarch by the Crown Council. The Japanese were quick to take advantage of the situation and soon controlled most of the vast French East Asian colonies. Before long, the once benevolent Imperial Japanese Army were brutalizing their new Cambodian subjects. The Cambodian people rose up against their Japanese overlords after a radio broadcast call to arms by King Sihanouk in March, 1941 and were eventually able to take back most of the countryside as well as the port of Kampong Saom and the old capitol of Odong.

At first the Cambodians fought the Japanese with old Nieuport Delages and SPADs left over from their former French colonial rulers. These obsolete aircraft weren't a match against a superior enemy and something had to be done.

A U.S. Marine Corps pursuit group commander, Lt. Col. Charles E. Claire, was enlisted to form an American volunteer squadron in May, 1941. Unfortunately, no modern U.S. aircraft could be spared, but the rejected Bell YP-45 point-defense fighter proposal was ordered into production under the name "Bantam". The Bantam was light, made mostly of non-strategic materials and small enough that three squadrons of them along with their pilots and crews arrived at Kampong Saom aboard the merchant ship S.S. Rube Goldberg in August, 1941.

"Sihanouk's Sharks" used the speed and maneuverability of their Bantams (not to mention the intimidation factor of their spats) to great advantage over the Japanese and eventually achieved a 22 1/2 to 1 kill ratio. Col. Claire and his Sharks quickly became famous and almost eclipsed their more well-known countrymen in the Flying Tigers after the Cambodian victory in the spring offensive in 1942 and the liberation of Phnom Penh the following July.

To this day, Col. (later Maj. Gen.) Claire and his small group of volunteers are credited with helping found the modern Royal Cambodian Air Force. One of those Bantams, Old No. 38, can be seen on display at the Khmer Museum of Technology in Suong.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The base kit for this project was the very tiny Special Hobby Bell XP-77. To give you an idea how small this thing is, the wingspan is only about 4 inches (10 cm). Despite the slick packaging and resin extras, it has a very small parts count and is basically like a short-run kit. Here's what it's supposed to look like:

Of course, there was no way mine was going to look anything like the box art when I got through with it. The spats were decided on when I bought the kit, but I also decided to replace the kit prop spinner with the tip of a drop tank for a racier look. I also decided replace the kit exhausts with ones from my spares box and as the vac canopy in the kit was so nice, I merely cut a windscreen from clear plastic. This was a good thing as it allowed me to show off the nice resin cockpit, which I took the time to detail. I also opted to save the very nice resin kit engine and added a blanking plate in the intake. I also added another "oil cooler" intake on the belly and a tail wheel as well as the guns which were cut from landing gear legs.

The first shot shows my attempt at cockpit detailing. Maybe not the best, but passable when you consider the entire thing isn't even as big as my thumbnail.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The entire model, including the shark's mouth, was painted by hand with acrylics. I used Testor's Olive Drab and Polly Scale Light Olive on the uppers and Model Masters Primer Gray on the undersides. The 'pit was painted in Polly Scale Italian Green and the guns with craft-store gunmetal. I used Model Masters Steel dry-brushed over with gunmetal and then Model Masters Rust on the exhausts. The prop blades were done with Model Masters Steel and the shark's mouth and tires with artists acrylics. The decals were from a 1/144 Blue Rider Cambodian Air Force sheet except for the codes and kill markings which came from a 1/72 Flying Tigers sheet.

It was a lot of fun building something relatively simple and taking a break from rigging. I hope you enjoyed my Bantam as much as I enjoyed building it!

Brian da Basher

HOG

H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sotoolslinger

Only you could make what I have always considered one of the uglier Xplanes such a thing of beauty :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Maverick

I always thought the XP-77 was a neat little ship.  Turned out a treat Brian and as always disturbingly 'real' looking.

Regards,

Mav

frank2056

That looks great Brian; I didn't recognize the kit at all in the first few pictures. I thought the donor kit was some sort of Mig-3 or Me 209 kit

I think your version looks far, far better and more "real" than the XP-77

Glenn

Hey Brian, if you'd have been a 'hood' in the 'Roaring 20's' they'd have called you 'Spats'!
Great as always.
Glenn

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Great stuff Bri!  :thumbsup: If your making a retro-history of the P-77, can we expect a further leap backward bipe with a radial???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

That's really nice Brian!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think what makes it look better than the XP-77 is the open cockpit: it disguises the small size a bit, and loses that "pop-eyed" look the original has.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

lancer

He's done it again. Amazing little build Brian.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die