THE EMPIRES TWILIGHT

Started by thedarkmaster, August 23, 2008, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

thedarkmaster

North American F-82 Twin Mustang, Força Aérea Portugese, Luanda, Angola 1962

In the Dangerous and confusing days at the start of the Angolan rebellion in 1961 many thing were found and many things lost.......one of the things found at the back of a warehouse awaiting transhipment since 1950 were 14 large crates marked up as property of the US.

Of course they had to be opened, and inside the shocked officials found aircraft but not one the recognised. The air force was called in as one crate was emptied for them. the two air force officers on arrival found they had 14 old twin Mustangs on their hands, now of course they were obsolete in terms of air defence but that wasn't what was needed right now, what was needed was aircraft in the air to help fight the rebels and these well these were a gift..........!!

whilst the local air force crews assembled the crates the Portugese government tentatively approached the US government about these crates of "abandoned" supplies, asking for 11 years worth of storage fees, but willing to settle for possesion of the crates as emergency war supplies for the local garrison. the matter never got past the desk of a minor official whom rubber stamped the transfer of the crates without even checking into the serial numbers and manifests to see what was in them.........they were Portugal's.

the 14 crates became 8 aircraft and 6 full aircraft for spares, enough it was hoped to keep them in the air for a considerable time. pilots however were another matter, Portugal didn't have a reserve of trained Twin Mustang pilots nor ordinary Mustang pilots for that matter, so discrete enquiries were made at Air National guard units for "volunteers" to fly the aircraft and train Portugese pilots.

By early 1962 enough pilots had been recruited and the planes were ready to fly, they took to the air in support of the local garrisons around Luanda mainly with strafing attacks, but occasionally bombs were used. Well thought of by the army for its concentrated six gun attack and its impressive loiter time the aircraft flew until no more spare were available and they airframe count was down to 4 in 1970, by far the last of these aircraft to see service in any part of the world and in all those years the USA neve once enquired to Portugal where it had recieved the aircraft from .

a/c 181
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

beowulf

that came out nice

is that the Revell kit ive been seeing in MZ recently?
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

thedarkmaster

Tis the one mate, Revell Monogramin 1/72........nice and old......and easy to make  ;D ;D

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

pyro-manic

Very nice! I'm going to have to pick one of those kits up. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

chrisonord

Nice one Tim, I am liking that :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

thedarkmaster

Boeing Washington R6, Cyprus 1956

Acquired from the USA at the time of the B50 purchase a number of older b29's also found their way into RAF service' initially to be used as flying airframe instruction they were eventually converted just before Operation Musketeer as night flying electronic recon and countermeasure aircraft.

flying well into the 1960's the washingtons quietly disappeared from service with no fuss.

a/c 182

Kerrillc

Nice work Tim. Both the F82 and the Washington are delightful, is the washington 1/72 or 1/144?

Cheers

Kerrill
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

Taiidantomcat

Excellent work! You have done a beautiful airplane a great service  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

thedarkmaster

The Washington is 1/144 mate

JayBee

Another brilliant model Tim.
:wub: :wub: :wub:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!