Potter, what would you get, if you mix a B-25 and a B-26?

Started by Glenn, August 28, 2008, 01:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

I don't know sir?
A B-28, of course! I first saw the plans of this bomber in an old Air International, and then later on in the AERO, US Bombers. In a cross section, the fuselage is oval in shape and couldn't think of anything close to that in size or shape until I picked up an Airfix B-26. Yes, the Marauder is cylinderical but, if you cut about 2mm top and bottom of each half, it starts to come together. Luck the tail was a separate part, but the cockpit has to be modified to fit in place.
Glued the fuselage together, bogged and sanded and prepared to modify it.
This first shot shows the fuselage, tail and tailplanes and wings on and 'butchered'. The design shows an extended nose, and short rear section, the wings are B-25, as are the engine narcells and u/c housing. The tail units and wings have been squared off and the port engine is as it will end up, not forgetting the long end of the engine faring.
Glenn...a bit more to follow.

Brian da Basher

That looks great, Glenn! I really like those almost conical cowlings which make this beauty look like it's built for speed! I'm looking forward to seeing more!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

McGreig

I'm seriously impressed - I have the Anigrand XB-28 kit and it looks as if you're going to get as good a result for a lot less money  :thumbsup:
Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this  :cheers:

B777LR

jcf

For them what be wantin' a bit more detail on the XB-28:
Jon   :mellow:

Glenn

As you can see, both engines are on, and it now has the two crew. I've used the B-25 engines, not completely right, but as they only made two of them, lets say mine is a 'B' model. I saw a resin model of this aircraft at the model comp last week, felt weak at the knees at the price of $85.
There is also a 'plug mould model' around...it's an old model, going back to the 1970's.
At present, the canopy and nose are in place and she is undercoated. Haven't worked out a colour scheme as yet, so this will be all for a while.
Cost...B-25 $10 and the B-26 $20. Yes, could have bought a model of it, but this is more fun!
As to the 50 points, Snape wouldn't give out 50 points.
Glenn

Rafael

Glenn, your builds, as always, are such inspiring endeavors. You really push the envelope of modeling waaaay beyond. :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Rafael on August 29, 2008, 05:49:18 PM
Glenn, your builds, as always, are such inspiring endeavors. You really push the envelope of modeling waaaay beyond. :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rafa

Absolutely agreed!
This is highest rank whiffing :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

Glenn

As you can see, she's finished! This is a 'what iff' page, so in this universe, the B-28 was a real success. After WW2, the world Air Forces were standing in line to buy this wonderful aircraft...............not!
Anyhow, I thought I'd put it in French Navy markings...as I found I had the decals.
Glenn

sequoiaranger

Nice real-life whif.

On taking the "stand" out for the background: You can often achieve a more "transparent" look by copying-and-pasting multiple SMALL, unsymmetrical bits of the adjacent landscape over the stand and THEN blending that in by SMALL bits of "spray paint". Any "lines" that catch the eye, like the beach, deserve extra attention for continuity.  (example below).
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Glenn

Last shot for a while....she has been shelved until the undercart goes on.
Glenn

ChernayaAkula

Way cool!  :o Not only the aircraft, but the livery as well!  :thumbsup: Very, very nice!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Deon

'...please, tell me where to put it..?'

'do nothing except that which is necessary or beautiful' (Marcus Aurelius)..well I've got the 'do nothing' bit sorted...

noxioux

Quote from: sequoiaranger on January 01, 2009, 09:21:34 AM
Nice real-life whif.

On taking the "stand" out for the background: You can often achieve a more "transparent" look by copying-and-pasting multiple SMALL, unsymmetrical bits of the adjacent landscape over the stand and THEN blending that in by SMALL bits of "spray paint". Any "lines" that catch the eye, like the beach, deserve extra attention for continuity.  (example below).

Why don't you just use a clean shot of the background and composite the stand out of there?  That's not a critique of your method, I'm just asking.

BTW:  That's a great looking bird. :thumbsup: